Bug: Missling Highlights

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26525
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 5:27 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
With regards to backing up your data, what I was trying to say about lacking a practical backup mechanism is that while you can backup the local files on your machine, there's no way for you to restore that state of your data if you have subsequently made any changes to this data.

The (older) backup data would be overwritten by the newer data from the server and you would still have the same issue! But if you start Logos in Offline mode you would continue to use the backup data. If you then manually fix the data or make other changes, that (newer) data would not be overwritten when you start Logos normally (online).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2588
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

The (older) backup data would be overwritten by the newer data from the server and you would still have the same issue! But if you start Logos in Offline mode you would continue to use the backup data. If you then manually fix the data or make other changes, that (newer) data would not be overwritten when you start Logos normally (online).

This is correct, provided that you make some kind of change to each piece of data that you don't want overwritten by the server. In the case of having had sweeping changes to all (or most) of your notes, this would mean making some kind of edit each note. I would call that "not practical". Alternatively, if you don't know what may have changed, then you'd be pretty much out of luck.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 5:43 PM

The patch information will be built into the resource file. I don't currently have information about the impact on file size.

Does that mean that every resource in our library would need to be downloaded, and reindexed, even if we've never highlighted the majority of them?

Can there be some additional benefit (beyond the anticipated new notes system) to any update of an entire library, such as FL also adding missing hyperlinks to resources which became available after the original had been converted?

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 31944
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 6:47 PM

PetahChristian:
Does that mean that every resource in our library

I believe that  he is talking only of resources in which a rebuild by Faithlife caused a piece of text to move from one article to another.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2588
LogosEmployee

PetahChristian:

The patch information will be built into the resource file. I don't currently have information about the impact on file size.

Does that mean that every resource in our library would need to be downloaded, and reindexed, even if we've never highlighted the majority of them?

Can there be some additional benefit (beyond the anticipated new notes system) to any update of an entire library, such as FL also adding missing hyperlinks to resources which became available after the original had been converted?

I don't know what the plan is for rolling this out. It's possible that no plan has been decided on yet. One possibility would be similar to when sentence boundary data was added to resources. The most popular resources were updated, while the remainder were automatically updated the next time the resource was updated for any other reason.

Posts 9060
LogosEmployee

Preliminary investigation has shown that this may lead to an average 0.64% increase in file size. This estimate was created by analysing some of the “worst-case” resources (i.e., ones that we know have had many versions, lots of textual changes, or complex articles) so it's probably on the high side. (I suspect it's likely that there will be tens of thousands of resources that increase in size by less than 0.1%.)

PetahChristian:

No, this information is only necessary if a resource is rebuilt with textual changes, so (in general) it only needs to go in future versions of the resources. We don't have to rebuild all existing resources “just because”.

However, if we have information that leads us to believe that many users have lost highlights in a particular resource, we might choose to proactively rebuild it; the updated version would include the information that can automatically restore the highlights. Let me give an example. Let's say that many users highlighted v1 of a particular Faithlife Ebooks resource. It was then automatically rebuilt to fix the TOC (v2) but the change was significant enough that the application couldn't display highlights that were taken on v1 (Andrew described this situation earlier). We might choose to rebuild and ship v3, which would be exactly the same as v2 except that it would include “position upgrade tables” for v1→v3 and v2→v3. This would allow the application to display highlights from all prior versions of the resource. Because the text of the resource itself hasn't changed, our existing "resource patching" technology should make this a very small download.

PetahChristian:

If we have to do a mass rebuild of resources, we do try to see how much work we can do at once, to minimise the total number of updates and downloads.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 7:48 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
No, this information is only necessary if a resource is rebuilt with textual changes, so (in general) it only needs to go in future versions of the resources. We don't have to rebuild all existing resources “just because”.

Thanks for confirming what MJ had shared.

If we have to do a mass rebuild of resources, we do try to see how much work we can do at once, to minimise the total number of updates and downloads.

Thanks very much. I am grateful not only for all the improvements, but that FL also cares to minimize any impact.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:14 PM

However, if we have information that leads us to believe that many users have lost highlights in a particular resource, we might choose to proactively rebuild it; the updated version would include the information that can automatically restore the highlights.

I highlight ALL books I read. The following is in Logos.  I finished reading Schreiner's ''New Testament Theology'' 2011 May.  The only highlights in the book are ones I created in 2018; all 2011's are gone.

Hours of highlighting..  Can FL restore them?

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:22 PM

scooter, did you try the command posted earlier in the thread?

Posts 29256
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:55 PM

scooter:

However, if we have information that leads us to believe that many users have lost highlights in a particular resource, we might choose to proactively rebuild it; the updated version would include the information that can automatically restore the highlights.

I highlight ALL books I read. The following is in Logos.  I finished reading Schreiner's ''New Testament Theology'' 2011 May.  The only highlights in the book are ones I created in 2018; all 2011's are gone.

Hours of highlighting..  Can FL restore them?

2011 is a long time ago. I say that because the system for highlights changed at some point. Do you know which document you used, or was it before documents were being used? If The latter, the notes would have automatically been placed into a pallet specific note document. Are you familiar with how that works? Have you made sure the note document is still present? Turned on in the visual filter menu?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS