A humble suggestion for Faithlife

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 4:08 PM

James Macleod:
As a software developer myself, I believe this is unrealistic.
You shoulda told Bob and the guys what you believe before they made us the promise.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:27 PM

Paul C:

James Macleod:
As a software developer myself, I believe this is unrealistic.
You shoulda told Bob and the guys what you believe before they made us the promise.

It may feel unrealistic to some but Olivetree is always free, as is Kindle as are numerous other software. Logos resources are not cheap... if their books at their premium price can't pay for the software something is seriously wrong and things may need to change. A large minority are already paying for the software because I myself, along with numerous others buy the software when it is first out even though in a way we become late testers paying for the privilege of early adoption. I DO NOT have an issue with this and would not care if they pushed it further a long ie. 6 months, then it is free to all.. and as long as any critical errors are corrected in the previous version during this time. Bob may have to break that promise but as long as it is a relatively inexpensive price (Accordance software for example is $50-$60 on the same release schedule as Logos) I doubt most will have an issue paying for it as it is a blessing to most of us using it.

-dan

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 1:27 AM

You are far more understanding than I. Your peacekeeping efforts will be rewarded.

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 1:42 AM

I agree with Paul C. Software updates for compatibility have been promised, and that promise should be kept. I'm very confident it will be. Let's be fair — they've kept that promise for twenty years. That's a very, very long time in the IT world. Do you know of any other application anywhere in the world that was available 20 years ago and has been updated for free hundreds of times since?

It's reasonable, therefore, for customers to expect that as long as Faithlife is producing Bible Study software, that previous customers can run a version on modern operating systems without charge. It's obviously not reasonable that we should expect new tools, datasets or books, without charge. The promise only was that we could read and search our own books and use the tools we've paid for (or any newer equivalent).

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 4:31 AM

PetahChristian:

Paul C:

I bought into Logos based on the promise that the software required to implement my resources would be updated to stay abreast with changes in various OS platforms. ... free of charge.

As you know, there is a cost incurred to provide free updates, support, and bug fixes, year after year (especially to customers who stop making new purchases). The reason FL has been trying different subscription-type offerings like Logos Now and Faithlife Connect is to generate revenue to help pay for software/development costs (since they have given away the software).

We should expect that as revenue from book sales decreases (since longer-term customers have most of the books they need) that FL will eventually have to rethink giving away the software for free.

Well said Petah.

Not counting my Now subscription I only spent a little over $500 last year. This year i'll strategically add books and maybe L8 when it becomes available. I'm not much of a revenue stream at the moment.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 4:26 PM

Mark Barnes:
I agree with Paul C. Software updates for compatibility have been promised, and that promise should be kept.
Thanks. It means a lot that you would agree with my point of view. .... in public Big Smile

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 6:30 PM

I agree with you too Paul, but am pragmatic enough to say paying is better than FL going under and having no support.  

-dan 

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 10:27 PM

Dan Francis:

I agree with you too Paul, but am pragmatic enough to say paying is better than FL going under and having no support.  

-dan 

I can't even spell pregmituk.Stick out tongue Seriously, I read somewhere that pragmatism begins at home. Seems to me that if FL had been more pragmatic about their "business ventures" they wouldn't have to be running all kinds of scams promotions so the customers can bail them out.
Dan Francis:

paying is better than FL going under and having no support.  

-dan 

They are holding support over our heads like a bludgeon....almost to the point of extortion. There are folks around who are able to keep Libronix running eons after support was halted. There will be life after Logos.

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 6:25 AM

Paul C:

There are folks around who are able to keep Libronix running eons after support was halted. There will be life after Logos.

Non-geek folks too! Libby's now in junior high, since her last feature update (13yrs ago). And she moved away from home about 5 yrs ago (no Logos support). She's already planning on college.

Since she's planning, I keep telling her not to worry ... she still has more key (and total) resources than A-Company sells. Just no maps. 

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 6:36 AM

Now what made you think I was speaking of you?

Stick out tongue

OK, I admit it. It was an honorable mention. 

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 7:10 AM

Well, you COULD have been thinking of Mr Paul. He's far more militant. Brandishing the sword of Libby.

When I got Libby, I targeted her amortization for 'death at 70' (my CPA bad habits).  But then my Dad kept his PC Bible going till about 80 or so, and that meant re-thinking. Now, Billy Graham was almost 100. The pictures don't show a PC next to his porch rocker at their cabin, so maybe only 90. Life is tough these days.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 7:22 AM

Speaking of 3 score and 10, I reach the magic number in a few days. Feel free to wish me an early happy b-day, just in case we are out of touch on the big day.

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:02 AM

I thimk we're badly off-thread, though Logosian longevity IS indeed the concern.

So, happy future 30th ... oops 70th! Statistically, you have 10 more years to treasure the future ... good health. Then, a re-tread.  Guess on it. And can't tell exactly from your avatar, but maybe memories of burning oil and dusty sunsets will remain.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:11 AM

~

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:16 AM

Good gracious ... where's my Lincolnian calculator?! Your discussions sound far younger!  I guess we're in the same mystery-boat concerning the future. The past is far easier. (I updated my reply, it's so embarrassing).

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 4:50 PM

Marshall Harrison:
Not counting my Now subscription I only spent a little over $500 last year. This year i'll strategically add books and maybe L8 when it becomes available. I'm not much of a revenue stream at the moment.
ONLY $500? To some of us $500 is not an only. I know that for whatever reason, FL has fallen on hard times. But they are not the only ones. Things are tough all over. If I were to contribute to FL's deficit, it would increase my own. I will not attempt to tell them how to invest their money. So when those investments fail, It's not my responsibility.  All I ask is that they honor their promise.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 4:42 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Check out Bob's announcement about the new migration plan for Logos Now members.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS