Loaning Books

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 4 2018 11:51 AM

Is there some mechanism by which I can loan a book from my library to someone else who uses logos---as I can from my paper library?

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 12:12 PM

Currently there is none that I know of and it has been stated in the past this may be counter productive to sales. But i think it would be a boon to the entire Logos ecosystem. Having the ability to loan out a book would mean potentially many thousands who never would have considered Logos suddenly have to create a free account so you can see it... I envision the easiest thing would be to set the length ie I lend you this for 15 days... then in those 15 days you try to open it you get, I am sorry but the "The Gospel and Letters of John: Commentary on the Gospel of John, vol. 2, The Eerdmans Critical Commentary" has been lent to "Tom@richardson.com" till March 19, 2018 if you need this work right away ask the borrower to click the info button and press return immediately otherwise please try again after March 19th. 

It is very possible that this could never work with the contracts but if the technicalities and legalities did get worked out it would make Logos the only place you wanted to get a book since you could easily lend it to a friend. These legalities are somewhat worked out already since ebooks are able to be borrowed from public libraries.

-dan

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 1:09 PM

Dan Francis:
These legalities are somewhat worked out already since ebooks are able to be borrowed from public libraries.

Yes, but... Libraries pay licensing fees to various companies for the ability to do so. Two examples which I use, and how they are different from one another:

• Hoopla: I am allowed to check out THREE items in a given month. My previous county library's subscription allowed for FIVE. The library does pay Hoopla a set fee for each rental, which is related to why one county's library system allows less than the other. The resources in the collection are always "in stock," meaning that everyone could check out the same book at the same time, no problems (like netflix). 
  • Overdrive: (Denise would like to know that the app is called "Libby" Smile) This program works like a real library in the sense that there is a limited number of copies of any given resource... in most cases, just one. Users are allowed an unlimited number of resources in a month, but a limited number of resources at a time. 

Those are fairly complex licensing agreements, which require quite a bit of technology to enforce. 

Nook & Kindle both have the ability to lend books, but only CERTAIN books, only ONE time for up to 14 days and the user LOSES ACCESS to it during the lending period:

• NOOK: Yes, you can lend eligible books to NOOK friends, or any BN.com account - up to 14 days. You will not have access to your book while it is lent out (similar experience with paper book), and each book can only be lent one time. You can view a list of all your lendable books by tapping LendMe, found under the My Stuff icon along the top of the screen in your Library. LINK: https://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-NOOK-Tablet/379003185 
  • KINDLE: You can lend a Kindle book to another reader for up to 14 days... A Kindle book can only be loaned one time. Magazines and newspapers are not currently available for lending... You can loan eligible Kindle books from the product detail page of a book you purchased on Amazon. During the loan period, you will not be able to read the book that you loaned... LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320 

I am fully in favor of this coming to Logos... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it in the near future. 

FYI - an interesting site (don't know if I would trust it or not): https://www.booklending.com/faq.htm 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6122
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 2:49 PM

Wow, déja vú! I’ve seen this question before with virtually the same answer by the same people. Spooky 🧟‍♂️

DAL

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 7:32 PM

Got to be plagiarism. Stick out tongue

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 6:13 AM

Thank you all. Sorry to raise an already hashed out subject. I guess this will have to go in the hard copy column when deciding between a Logos book or hard copy. If I have a friend who is preaching through Ephesians, I can physically loan him my paper commentaries but I can't help him with my Logos books.

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 6:23 AM

Donn Arms:
Sorry to raise an already hashed out subject.

No need to be sorry! That is what the forums are for! Smile

Posts 8808
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 11:10 AM

JT (alabama24):
I am fully in favor of this coming to Logos... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it in the near future. 

This reflects my thoughts as well. Perhaps someday!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8808
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 11:11 AM

JT (alabama24):

This reflects my thoughts as well. Perhaps someday!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1063
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 12:23 PM

Dan Francis:
i think it would be a boon to the entire Logos ecosystem. Having the ability to loan out a book would mean potentially many thousands who never would have considered Logos suddenly have to create a free account so you can see it

Agreed. I cannot recommend (or even demonstrate) Logos to most people due to both its price or their lack of need. The occasions that I could have done so are almost always with the 'Ministers in Training', where the basic set plus a couple of key 'loans' for a limited time would have allowed them plenty of time to use the software ... these are the folks who will have need and hopefully the desire to take their study on further. Once hooked ... the buying will come ;-) 

I have no problem 'losing' access to some of my resources for a couple of weeks ... in the same way as I would lose access to my hose should anybody care to borrow it!

I would even pay a small amount to loan (help) a friend in this way ... although I am sure the Logos marketing budget could subsidise that! There could be further restrictions, such as a limit of the number of loans to any one person at a time; or a limit in the number of 'associated' users to whom we can loan; etc. etc. There could also be limits by publisher, in the same way as we accept no dynamic pricing, or no downloads to mobile devices from certain establishments.

I know there is an academic pricing system somewhere in the Faithlife conglomerate ... but I have never seen any details ... I presume it is for those in certain recognised institutions ... and I presume that it would be still a large commitment for somethig that has never been seen to be useful (yet!).

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS