iPad or HP slate?

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:11 AM

discipline is a strong character-qualification of the spirit... how about waiting a few more months untill the HP slate is on the market. Any known disadvantages or advantages to expect in comparising the iPad with the HP slate?

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:16 AM

ton verdam:
how about waiting a few more months

Discipline is always good and we should exercise it in our lives.  

Waiting may or may not be an act of discipline.  It just depends on your needs.  The problem that I see with your logic is that in a few months, Apple will announce their new improvements that will best the Slate.  And, the cycle continues in the technology war.  Therefore, with electronic gadgets, waiting just to wait doesn't really work.  

My solution is, get the platform that you can afford and that works best for you at the time (AND, one that runs Logos well!).  Save your money and in a couple more years buy the next new and improved "needed" gadget.  Then, bless someone with your old one! Smile

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 7:10 AM

ton verdam:

Any known disadvantages or advantages to expect in comparising the iPad with the HP slate?

Engadget article includes iPad and HP Slate comparison with specifications:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/

Appears HP Slate is Windows 7 touch screen net-book, meeting minimum Logos 4 technical requirements:

http://www.logos.com/support/techfaq

In contrast, iPad runs iPhone OS - lacks some Logos 4 desktop features (e.g. Biblical People):

http://www.logos.com/ipad

For portable use, iPad has significantly longer battery life and power adapter needs 1/3 less energy.

For durability, suspect iPad better.  Like several competitors, HP engineering includes replacement need in 2 or 3 years.

Apple Mac engineering lasts longer - viable market buy/sell used Mac's:

http://www.powermax.com/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:17 AM

I sure am waiting for the HP.

Being able to use Logos and READ MY BOOKS EVEN IF THERE IS NO INTERNET/WIFI/3G CONNECTION is ultra-important. Want to go to the country and research in your Logos books with an iPad? Have fun finding a signal.

Someone here said HP uses planned obsolescence which has never been the case with ANY HP item I have owned. I had an HP laser printer than year after year I would hope it would die so I could upgrade and it just kept plugging away, 1.5 decades after I purchased it!

A second reason why HP rocks is I bought an HP laptop in July of last year. In December, the battery died. I just figured I would have to buy one so I placed an order for one on eBay. It didn't even occur to me that the battery might be covered still, and even if it is, how much trouble is it to figure out getting a replacement??? Well, the NEXT time I booted, using the powercord since the battery would not charge, a message popped up on my laptop saying, "Battery is bad, STILL covered under warranty, click here for replacement!"  I was astounded! I clicked and HP sent a NEW battery with postage-paid envelope for the old one.

(I used the generic one I bought on eBay and resold the new HP battery once it arrived for a profit.)

I have written about 80 books, published worldwide, about computers. Being an author does NOT make me an expert, and I do not talk about the books to brag. Really! I say that only to say I do understand technology and I did a lot of research on iPad wanting one JUST FOR LOGOS. And I decided against it.

I WILL get the HP tablet in a couple of months when it comes out and I made this decision based SOLELY on my use of Logos.

If anyone disagrees, you need to read their justification because they have valid reasons for preferring the iPad. But it's not for me due to my using it for Logos.

GP

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:24 AM

It might be wise to wait and see how L4 functions with a touch interface it wasn't designed for.  Then you'd be in a better position to choose...

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:25 AM

Thanks, Good solid arguments pro and con.

I will buy one just because of LOGOS4 - one other question I would have is: how will the Slate's screen do in camparison with the ipad. I like to do my research under my figtree in the sun (just like Jesus :)) and the sun's reflection on the screen is important. With my laptop I can hardly read in bright light outside...

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:59 AM

It is up to you, but my recommendation would be (1) determine what features you need and (2) wait and see real-world usage with Logos 4 since you're going to be waiting so long already. Why?

1. Logos performance on the Slate is uncertain: indexing, touch-screen performance, searching, etc. It will definitely work on the Slate, but I'm curious about those areas.

2. Purchasing the entry level model may not be a good idea. My Logos installation already takes up over 25 gigs. Also, the Slate comes with 1 gig of ram that is likely not user upgradeable according to reports. This is below Logos 4 requirements for Windows 7, and would need to be upgraded.

3. The size of the Slate appears to be thicker than the iPad, and that may affect how you hold/use it.

In the end, just be sure you know what you're getting. There are a few unsatisfied Logos for iPad users because they didn't know what the program could do. Make sure you are informed. The Slate v. iPad debate is deceptive because the two devices are different. The philosophy behind them is different, as is their functionality, and more importantly, the functionality of Logos.

IMO: if you want a "tablet computer", buy the Slate. If you want a fancy ebook reader and "internet tablet" buy the iPad.

Disclaimer: I love my iPad, but I use it primarily for reading (not for research or sermon preparation).

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 11:00 AM

DHG:

It might be wise to wait and see how L4 functions with a touch interface it wasn't designed for.  Then you'd be in a better position to choose...

I don't mean this as a Mac vs. Windows response (so please hear me out), but I'd never consider the HP Slate simply because it's running Windows--an OS not specifically designed for a touch interface. To give fair time, I also wouldn't buy a touch-based Mac (Axiotron makes them) for the same reason.

It's too early to know if the iPad will be successful where no touch screen computer has been before. But if it is successful, I believe it is because the interface has been completely rethought for use with fingers instead of a mouse (or even a stylus). 

The interface is what the iPad brings new to the table of touchscreen computers. I've yet to see what the HP Slate brings that's really new. I realize that Windows 7 is "touch enabled," but is there a significant difference in the way you interact with it from what you normally do with a mouse? 

The iPad has a higher resolution screen--somewhere around 130 dpi if I remember correctly--which makes using it as an eReader favorable to a regular computer. Is the HP Slate going to have anything greater than the standard Windows resolution of 96 dpi?

The iPad has been surprisingly fast in my experience because it is using a chip customized for the device and the interface. As already mentioned above, the HP Slate is going to use a standard Intel Atom 1.6 ghz processor which is found in the majority of (s)low-powered netbooks out there and meets only the minimum of L4's requirements in Windows. 

Again, it's too early to tell if the iPad will be a success, but if it is (and I think it will be), it will be because it brings something entirely new to the table. It brings a new platform in which the computer has been completely rethought for the way we interact with it. A lot of people are excited about it. I don't see as many people excited about a touch-enabled netbook. But we'll see.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 12:50 PM

R. Mansfield:
I don't mean this as a Mac vs. Windows response (so please hear me out), but I'd never consider the HP Slate simply because it's running Windows--an OS not specifically designed for a touch interface. To give fair time, I also wouldn't buy a touch-based Mac (Axiotron makes them) for the same reason.

But Rick, W7 was designed for touch interface. Why do you think the icons are so big on the taskbar?

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:17 PM

Mike Aubrey:

But Rick, W7 was designed for touch interface. Why do you think the icons are so big on the taskbar?

Of course! That must be it!

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:31 PM

Roger Feenstra:

ton verdam:
how about waiting a few more months

My solution is, get the platform that you can afford and that works best for you at the time (AND, one that runs Logos well!).  Save your money and in a couple more years buy the next new and improved "needed" gadget.  Then, bless someone with your old one! Smile

This is exactly my plan, and why I went ahead and purchased the iPad 16GB now. As my need increases I'll buy a much bigger tablet storage-wise(gonna be a 2nd gen iPad). Then I'll bless a brother or sister with my old one. Did this with my first gen ipod-touch, really made my friend happy.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:38 PM

R. Mansfield:
The iPad has a higher resolution screen--somewhere around 130 dpi if I remember correctly--which makes using it as an eReader favorable to a regular computer. Is the HP Slate going to have anything greater than the standard Windows resolution of 96 dpi?

The screen resolution of the iPad and Slate is virtually identical.  I don't have exact L by W dimensions of the displays; however, the resolution can still be approximated with the Pythagorean theorem. According to leaked HP Slate specs, the Slate's display is 8.9-inch and 1024 by 600 pixels, which is 133 dpi diagonally. The iPad's 9.7-inch, 1024 by 768 display is 132 dpi.

This resolution can be obtained on many notebook PC's by ordering a high resolution, e.g. UXGA display.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:40 PM

let me be on record as offering myself as "friend" to anyone wishing to pass on their old 1st Gen iPads in the future. . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 18
Troy D. Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:10 PM

Yes. I agree Dan, lol.  I am making myself available to anyone that wants to give their iPads away in the future.Angel

Posts 18
Troy D. Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:14 PM

Greg Perry:

Being able to use Logos and READ MY BOOKS EVEN IF THERE IS NO INTERNET/WIFI/3G CONNECTION is ultra-important. Want to go to the country and research in your Logos books with an iPad? Have fun finding a signal.

......I made this decision based SOLELY on my use of Logos.

This is the only reason why I am holding out on purchasing the iPad right now.

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:16 PM

Or, just plan ahead and download your books when you have internet access...

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:07 PM

R. Mansfield:
The interface is what the iPad brings new to the table of touchscreen computers. I've yet to see what the HP Slate brings that's really new. I realize that Windows 7 is "touch enabled," but is there a significant difference in the way you interact with it from what you normally do with a mouse? 

That's my main question. Having used Logos on my son's iPod Touch, I have a pretty good idea of what I would be getting if I went with the iPad.  But before I consider a device such as the Slate, I need to know (1) how well the OS user interface functions and (2) just as importantly how the L4 interface functions.

Anyone have insight?

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:09 PM

Using a MyFI-like device to access cellular-provided Internet via a WiFi hotspot might be a great way to keep iPAD coverage high, without locking into yet another 3G fee...assuming you use a MyFI-like capability already with your laptop/iTouch/etc.

In general, using these displays outdoors is just going to cause eyestrain.  I used to have a MotionComputing slate  (WinXP) with the outdoor screen--I loved the device, but it was still pretty much useless outside.

I expected great things from HP with their slate, but was saddened to hear they would NetBook it...and even worse, really cripple it's RAM--with specs like that, it would be much better running a lighter OS.  I really want to run the full Logos--not that I'll be doing primary research from a slate, but because when I read I like to highlight the text, search, etc & the other mobile offerings are too limited in these areas.  However--some other Logos users are using Netbooks without complaint (understanding that it isn't going to be a speedy experience).

I've looked at the convertable PCs (the Lenovo W201t, the HP EliteBook 2470p) that pack i7 processors, somewhat dedicated graphics, and SSDs to ensure that a mobile Logos experience was palatable (in the event I wanted to use it for PC-based instruction/presentation).  However, those PCs are very expensive and seem to currently be effected by some kind of i7 processor parts shortage.  I've seen good performance reviews of the Lenovo, although that company seems to have very serious order fulfillment issues.  I've not heard an independent assessment of the new HP Elitebook.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:38 PM

GarrettHo:

Or, just plan ahead and download your books when you have internet access...

only problem currently is that not all resources are available for download.  or available, period. (on the App, that is)

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:39 PM

Troy D. Walker:

Yes. I agree Dan, lol.  I am making myself available to anyone that wants to give their iPads away in the future.Angel

. . . i have a sinking feeling our friendship overtures will go unheeded . . . Left Hug   Time                         Sad

Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS