Search Just the headings

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 173
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 28 2010 6:29 AM

When I search I would like to not get so many hits.  It is a little overwhelming.  Can I search just headings.  I thought there was a way to do that in Logos 3. 

I'd especially like to be able to do this in search topical bibles like logos 3 would do when you would search a topic.  I miss this feature the most.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2010 6:49 AM

At this point, there is no real topical searches....

BUT...

there are a few things to help...

1.) Make a collection of Topical bibles.

2.) Capitalize your terms "Baptism" instead of "baptism"

This will help, but it's not a real topic search.

In the Passage guide...there is a topics section that comes up on a particular passage also.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1848
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:36 AM

You can also search heading:whatever

Notice there are no spaces between the colon and search item

Rick

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2010 11:44 AM

Richard Hypes:

You can also search heading:whatever

Notice there are no spaces between the colon and search item

This will only work in resources that are tagged with the heading field. You can check a resource's information pane to see if it has this field.

Posts 1848
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2010 12:09 PM

Oh, I see. I just thought that all of the headings would have been tagged. Thanks Yes

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2010 8:43 PM

ScottSolimine:
I'd especially like to be able to do this in search topical bibles like logos 3 would do when you would search a topic.

The best way is to create a custom Bible Word Study guide:-

"Bible Topics" is my collection of dictionaries.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 3:24 AM

An illustration of Dave's Topic guide vs a basic search. This was the same word in each search, and it was performed on the same collection in both instances: As you can see, one returns a LOT of hits....but you have to sift to find the topic headings...the other...gets you what you want...

Thanks Dave!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 3:45 AM

The absence of the ability to search for just topics or headers in Logos 4 is very frustrating. The more resources you have the more annoying it becomes.

Posts 173
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:02 PM

David you have saved my frustration!  Thank you so much.  I knew there had to be a way to do it. 

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 11:42 AM

Bill Gordon:
he absence of the ability to search for just topics or headers in Logos 4 is very frustrating.

You can search for headings in resources that have been tagged for headings. The search syntax is—"heading:My search topic". Heading in lower case followed by the colon and your topic.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:30 PM

Jack Caviness:

Bill Gordon:
he absence of the ability to search for just topics or headers in Logos 4 is very frustrating.

You can search for headings in resources that have been tagged for headings. The search syntax is—"heading:My search topic". Heading in lower case followed by the colon and your topic.

Yes, but the vast majority of my resources are not tagged for headings! I have noticed tags for headings in my Bibles and journals but in little else. I say again, this feature is almost useless until Logos tags the other resourses! For example, I have over 800 commentaries in one of my collections. When I run a search for headings with the word "God" I do not get a signal hit.

Posts 592
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:35 PM

I agree. I'm a new Logos user since January, and I initially thought this feature was available. It it available on a competitng product.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS