Logos 4 Desktop Crashes when Internet Connected, OK with no Internet

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:16 AM

This just started happening today, not sure if it's a server problem or something wrong with my profile. When I start Logos on my desktop (MacBook Pro), it runs a lot of CPU cycles (100-200%) for about 1 minute and then crashes. If I turn off wifi and restart, all OK. I rebooted my MBP and Logos still crashes.

MBP with OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6.

Logos Bible Software 4.6c SR-7 (4.63.0.0409)

Advice/ suggestions to use it without crashing?

Posts 981
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:57 AM

Any reason for not using Logos 7? L4.6 is nearly old enough that "Noah probably used it"! 😄The L7 engine is free. You have nothing to lose and LOTS to gain by upgrading to L7.

Edit: Here's the page with the download link.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:38 AM

Two reasons I haven't upgraded:

1) when Logos 5 came out I was still using Windows XP and it wouldn't run Logos 5 (required Windows Vista or higher)

2) I don't like upgrading for the sake of upgrading, nor spending more money when I'm not using all the resources I currently have.

Logos 4 worked fine for me up until today, and may work again tomorrow, if the problem is temporary (something bad with Logos servers - I really don't like being dependent on outside services for products I paid for; problem with a current download or something else). Plus it works fine offline.

Having said all that, I will check out the Logos 7 "free" engine and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:42 AM

I now have Mac computers - never liked any of the Windows system after XP - but back in the Logos 4/5 days, there were large discrepancies in capabilities between the Windows and Mac versions of the Logos products, with the Mac versions lagging behind and lacking many features. Now the parity is more or less equal, but I had forgot about upgrading - again, no need to upgrade if everything is working fine.

Posts 17245
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:18 PM

Bill Stevener:

Logos Bible Software 4.6c SR-7 (4.63.0.0409)

Advice/ suggestions to use it without crashing?

Without diagnostic log files, humanly have no suggestions.

Logos 4.6c SR-7 is a 32 bit application that was released on 31 Mar 2014 => https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Release_History 

Logos 6.5 included crash fix for OS X El Capitan along with Logos 6.0 and newer being 64 bit application

Logos 7 Basic is Free => Basic that is currently supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan, macOS 10.12 Sierra, and macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS