How to search a prepositional phrase

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2018 1:51 AM

In Mark 2:1 it is said: Καὶ εἰσελθὼν πάλιν εἰς Καφαρναοὺμ διʼ ἡμερῶν ἠκούσθη ὅτι ἐν οἴκῳ ἐστίν.

I was wondering which word is modified by the prepositional phrase 'διʼ ἡμερῶν': 'εἰσελθὼν' or 'ἠκούσθη'. Many commentaries connect it to the returning to Capernaum. But I don't read any reason. Why connecting it to the participle and not to the mainverb?

So I was thinking to search the NT to see where other temporal phrases are placed. I suppose I should to do a syntax search? But how do I do that? 

Thanks.

Posts 18510
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 7:26 AM

Patrick Rietveld:
I was wondering which word is modified by the prepositional phrase 'διʼ ἡμερῶν': 'εἰσελθὼν' or 'ἠκούσθη'.

Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament has:

Bible Search finds four time unit prepositional phrases:

<Lemma = lbs/el/διά> BEFORE 1-3 WORDS <Sense time unit>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18510
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 7:27 AM

Patrick Rietveld:
 I suppose I should to do a syntax search? But how do I do that? 

Logos wiki has => Syntax Search

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1340
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 10:05 AM

Hi Patrick.

For the syntactic analyisis in the NT, I'd recommend the Cascadia Syntax Graphs, which pretty clearly associate both prepositional phrases in Mark 2.1 with the preceding participle (not the following verb)

Grammatical Constructions does contain an analysis of prepositional phrases (both OT & NT) but it does not provide analysis of what the prepositional phrase is modifying. But you could search for prepositional phrases with a particular preposition, for example: {Label Prepositional Phrase WHERE Preposition Lemma ~ <Lemma lbs/el/διά>}

If you are looking for "temporal" (prepositional?) phrases, I guess it depends on how you define "temporal". If you go with "Lexham Syntactic Greek NT says the preposition functions temporally", then a search of a Bible (with reverse interlinear) like the following would work: {Section <SGNTSyntacticForce = temp. prep.>} Once you have that list, you could check the reference in the Cascadia graphs to see how they represent the connection.

If you're looking to search based on what the prepositional phrase is attached to, then that's a bit different. To find a prepsositional phrase using δια that does not attach to a verb, this should cover the vast majority:

And for one that does modify a verb, this should cover the majority:

Hope it helps.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS