Logos and Kindle

Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:31 AM

Matthew C Jones:
A tablet pc also has a lot of advantages over the Kindle.

I considered getting a tablet pc, but the cost was prohibitive for just an ebook reader and a few other things. Netbooks are a bit more reasonable.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:50 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Matthew C Jones:
A tablet pc also has a lot of advantages over the Kindle.

I considered getting a tablet pc, but the cost was prohibitive for just an ebook reader and a few other things. Netbooks are a bit more reasonable.

I think I'll bring this back to the subject of Logos and Kindle.  What would be nice, but beyond Logos' control, would be a Kindle which could also function as a tablet PC so that it would be possible to have Libronix on it.  Of course, it would also be usable for other programs.  The other major problem in addition to requiring an outisde party to develop the machine is that such a machine would invariably be larger so that some of the advantage of the Kindle would be lost.  I see no reason, however, that before long it would not be possible to combine the Kindle with the capabilities of a notebook computer in a possibly even smaller format than the tablet now has.   I see no reason that the Kindle books could not be compatible with the PC format (Sorry, MACies, there's no hope for you, but we already knew that).  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 172
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 12:13 AM

I have been thinking and debating about this idea of a kindle.  But I am afriad that I will loose my favorite logos feature.  When you scripture reference in a book you just have to float your mouse over it and boom it pops up.  What a great way to hold the author accountable without spending hours looking up every passage.  I agree the netbook idea is ideally the best.  This is what I do, I read my logos on my netbook however it still draws a lot of eye strain.  I've said it in another post, but I would love to see the ability to simply change the background to be a more of a cream than a white.  Then you don't have the drastic black/white deal. 

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 6:31 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Donovan - this fall there are two or three manufacturers that are going to market netbook tablets - tablet PCs with the smaller footprint of the netbook.  I am trying to be patient.  Now if only Amazon will introduce a Kindle program for the PC - not likely, but I can hope.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 133
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2009 3:33 PM

Bob, I physically examined and tested several of the top ereaders available. I did not choose the Kindle for a long list of reasons. If Logos goes ereader friendly I hope it isn'y via Kindle, or at least not exclusively Kindle. The Kindle, along with Sony and Barnes and Noble devices use proprietary formats that aren't friendly or cost effective for the market. Epub or mobi formats would broaden your appeal IMHO :-)

Posts 1722
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2009 9:00 AM

The Kindle does read mobi format books without DRM, though Amazon's own book sales are in DRM.

I've got a Kindle (had the old, have the new) and I really like it. The Sony Reader was nice, too, but I like the wireless book delivery on the Kindle.

-- Bob

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2009 10:44 AM

Floyd Johnson:

Donovan R. Palmer:

Donovan - this fall there are two or three manufacturers that are going to market netbook tablets - tablet PCs with the smaller footprint of the netbook.  I am trying to be patient.  Now if only Amazon will introduce a Kindle program for the PC - not likely, but I can hope.

Blessings,

Floyd

I am quite exited with the news coming slowly out about the new development with the small tablets. Apple is coming soon with their 10 inch Tablet which should look like a bigger iPhone. I think that is the way to go. It will be small, touch screen, simple to use as iPhone. If it runs a full OS, even better. If not, just iPhone type OS, we will need the Logos Reader on that very much. Other companies are said to come with the similar thing (as Floyd said already).

Bohuslav

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 2:24 PM

Donovan,

Amazon just announced the PC program for Kindle.

Rus Howard

Posts 2877
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 4:03 PM

Bob Pritchett:

MichaelHollinger:

Anyways, that's how I'd integrate a Kindle with Logos.  I hope Bob is listening :)

I am. We'll see what we can do...

One of the best things you can do is make the online version compatible with the Kindle browser.

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 4:45 PM

Rus Howard:

Yep - downloaded Kindle for PC about a month ago.  I recently purchased a netbook tablet (Gigabyte T1028) on which to install it.  However,  I still have not purchased any books, doubt if I will.  Smile

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 2:29 PM

Perfect idea!

Posts 2994
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:29 PM

For the time being you all can access much of your Logos library (if you own L4) if you direct your Kindle browser to library.logos.com

Make sure that you are in advanced mode.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 9
Michael S. Dysart | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 11:00 AM

Jacob,

Would really appreciate your commenting on the steps you take to use your Kindle with Logos.  I now have a Kindle III and have yet to figure out how to get to my library?

Michael

Posts 2994
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 6:31 PM

Michael S. Dysart:

Jacob,

Would really appreciate your commenting on the steps you take to use your Kindle with Logos.  I now have a Kindle III and have yet to figure out how to get to my library?

Michael

I have the first generation Kindle, so can only guarantee this works from there:

1. From Home: Menu | Experimental
  2. Basic web
  3. Verify from the menu that you are in advanced mode (I also enable JavaScript)
  4. Select the location bar at the top of the screen and direct your browser to http://library.logos.com
  5. Select the "sign in" link
  6. Sign in with your username and password
  7. Navigate from the top or bottom icon bars (unfortunately the links show up as <Active Link> so you just have to count which one you want. for example home is the first one. Search is the third one, etc). 

This works perfectly on my Kindle.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 9
Michael S. Dysart | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:03 PM

Jacob,

Your instructions are WONDERFUL...thanks for making this SO CLEAR.  I have the Kindle III and am loving it.  The "experimental option for advanced browsing" and the "JAVA SCRIPT" are now embedded in the Kindle III which means you no longer have to choose them.  I went to library.logos.com and signed in and it works pretty good.  The paging features in the Kindle III now serves as a sorta "page up" but have to access internet each page turn--- I can turn pages at a rate of 4-6 seconds per page wiith the 3G access. 

For sections of books that are "allowed" you can copy and paste but do not save as "text."  Save as a MicroSoft document with a font size that is 16+.  Then print as a PDF document on your desktop or other easily accessible location.  Kindle III does amazing things with PDF documents retaining most of the functions of the pad with these documents.  The only function that I have found so far that it does not retain is the ability to increase the font size--this is why you need to enlarge the font size when saving as a Word Document.  Once saved--then the PDF converter will convert at that larger font size and make it more readable when transferred over to the Kindle.

Plug in the Kindle to the computer and then drag the PDF file to the documents file on the Kindle and SHAZAAM...you are going to have an awesome read.  Once the section is read...I delete.  AWESOME.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks, Mike

Posts 2994
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:48 PM

Michael S. Dysart:

Jacob,

Your instructions are WONDERFUL...thanks for making this SO CLEAR.  I have the Kindle III and am loving it.  The "experimental option for advanced browsing" and the "JAVA SCRIPT" are now embedded in the Kindle III which means you no longer have to choose them.  I went to library.logos.com and signed in and it works pretty good.  The paging features in the Kindle III now serves as a sorta "page up" but have to access internet each page turn--- I can turn pages at a rate of 4-6 seconds per page wiith the 3G access. 

For sections of books that are "allowed" you can copy and paste but do not save as "text."  Save as a MicroSoft document with a font size that is 16+.  Then print as a PDF document on your desktop or other easily accessible location.  Kindle III does amazing things with PDF documents retaining most of the functions of the pad with these documents.  The only function that I have found so far that it does not retain is the ability to increase the font size--this is why you need to enlarge the font size when saving as a Word Document.  Once saved--then the PDF converter will convert at that larger font size and make it more readable when transferred over to the Kindle.

Plug in the Kindle to the computer and then drag the PDF file to the documents file on the Kindle and SHAZAAM...you are going to have an awesome read.  Once the section is read...I delete.  AWESOME.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks, Mike

That seems like a good solution too. I actually end up doing something similar (sending Word doc) when I want to read a big section from a commentary or a particular chapter. Reading online with kindle isn't the best solution, but its nice cause its always available and its easy to navigate. 

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 8
Brian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 7:30 PM

While I appreciate the PDF printing workaround, and the effort from Logos to offer the web browsing, I really would value a better option for accessing my purchased books from an ebook reader (I own a kindle.)

iPads are nice, but I can't read from them for long periods of time.  If I could access my Logos books from an eInk device, then I'd be much more prone to reading my books from start to finish, rather then turning to them to simply look information up.

Posts 2994
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 8:31 PM

Brian Reinicke:

While I appreciate the PDF printing workaround, and the effort from Logos to offer the web browsing, I really would value a better option for accessing my purchased books from an ebook reader (I own a kindle.)

iPads are nice, but I can't read from them for long periods of time.  If I could access my Logos books from an eInk device, then I'd be much more prone to reading my books from start to finish, rather then turning to them to simply look information up.

A better option (if you plan ahead) would be to go to the new Print/Export feature and export what you want to read to a word document and then email that to your Kindle. This would let you avoid the web browsing portion. See my post here for more on this: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/25801/190662.aspx#190662

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 8:43 PM

Rus Howard:

Donovan,

Rus Howard

This is amazing the MacOS "beta" has been out since April. Works great  but not as feature rich as the iphone version. Just sort of amazes me that a mac version was out before the windows version. 

-Dan

PS:I noticed talk about tablets, HP's new Tablet seemed to be a good Logos item till you look into it;s specs, not Large enough screen size or ram. Does anyone know if 1024x768  and 2 GB are true min. or just suggested. I mean I am not going to be getting one I am a happy on my macbook pro... If Logos Ipad app gets better i may consider an ipad.

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 4:20 PM

The Dell Inspiron Duo looks interesting too.... I personally haven't had any experience with it, but it looks like it could make a good Logos device:

http://www.dell.com/InspironDuo

Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS