Suggestion: Have a "display footnotes" mode

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 1 2010 10:22 PM | Locked

When reading a paper book, I often glance down at footnotes to determine their value. It's hard to do this in Logos because you have to click first. I know power lookup helps, but the display tends to get overwhelmed by bible texts (and in some resources, explanations of acronyms).

I have two suggestions that would overcome this:

First, allow us to filter power lookup so it only showed biblical references, or only showed footnotes, etc.

Second, and better, add a dynamic footnote display panel at the bottom of a resource (like the reverse interlinear display) that showed all the footnotes, just like a 'real' book. The code would be very similar to powerlookup, so it ought to be relatively low-hanging fruit.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 6:43 AM | Locked

OK Mark - What shape monitor have you got? The layout above really would not work on my laptop. Screen usage is already tricky at times.

A discontinued bible software package used to allow footnotes to be openned on the right or bottom, and scroll with the main text. Nice idea, but it never worked. I only ever got the first footnote no matter what, and when I asked them to please fix it, they said no and dropped the entire product family and its software. Yes, its my fault we have EBC in Logos4 now. Smile [ Joking about the last part OK! ]

I would love it if we could right-click inside a resource, and one of the options was to open a footnotes panel that we could then resize/move around/dock. And of course, it would befault to "Follow" against the main resource its from. I'd rather it was its own panel we could adjust, rather than the limited non-full-page Interlinear format. The Notes for the NET Bible sometimes take up more of the page  than the verses, in the paper version. Same with ESV Study Bible, so there is a real need to solve what you are asking here.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 6:51 AM | Locked

Jim Towler:
... it would befault to "Follow" against the main resource ... 

I don't get how its possible to be dyslexic with a keyboard ...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 11:26 AM | Locked

Jim Towler:
I would love it if we could right-click inside a resource, and one of the options was to open a footnotes panel that we could then resize/move around/dock.

I think that's a great idea. However you get it to invoke itself, you have a dockable panel inside a resource like "show notes at bottom" or "show footnotes on right" or whatever.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 12:34 PM | Locked

Jim Towler:
What shape monitor have you got

I'm running two monitors at full HD (1920x1080). The screenshot was just one pane.

Jim Towler:
A discontinued bible software package used to allow footnotes to be openned on the right or bottom, and scroll with the main text. Nice idea, but it never worked. I only ever got the first footnote no matter what,

Yes, Pradis was a bit of a nightmare for footnotes. I'm proposing something cleverer - sorry if it wasn't clear. I'm suggesting that the size of the footnote panel dynamically adjusts to ensure that it's the right height for all of the footnotes on the present 'page'. As you scroll, it's height would automatically shrink or grow (or disappear altogether) depending on how many footnotes there were. That way screen real estate is maximised.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 6:16 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
As you scroll, it's height would automatically shrink or grow (or disappear altogether) depending on how many footnotes there were.

OK - Now I hear what you are saying. For me, I would leave that off. The resizing and redrawing would drive me crazy. Feel free to ask for it, but please make sure I can turn it off.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 6:47 PM | Locked

I suggested something very similar to this for the NET Bible notes here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16090/122007.aspx#122007

I think this is a very good idea and could be used in any Bible (or other resource) that has footnotes or cross-references.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS