Occupational Survey

Page 5 of 8 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 152 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 5:09 AM

MJ. Smith:

Full-time Christian.Big Smile

Dear MJ;smith I am touched by what you have mentioned.I have thought as  I don’t deserve to say something in this thread of myself, I am motivated now to say something not who I am and what I can do , but the goodness of the Lord. I became a Christian (born-again) in 1973, but after about two years I backslided,I was engaged in a Godless duties. In 1988 I stepped on mine ,I have lost my right leg above knee and some injuries in my eyes. During this incident ,as the mine was exploding God gave  me the chance to repent my sins ,I was conscious just as he did to Jonas. So even though it doesn’t seem a blessing, for me is the opposite as long as I live I don’t want to cease to praise the Lord for that day ,it has worked out for me for the best ,my life became restored. I am living in Germany since 1990.I love Bible study ,I lead Bible study- group .

As disabled person I stay at home. I live alone my wife left me because of my faith. I am the happiest person ´’I am a full-time Christian’

God bless everybody.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 5:22 AM

Tes

What a beautiful testimony to God's grace and faithfulness. And also to your faithfulness and perseverance. May God continue to bless and keep you.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 6:04 AM

I may have misunderstood the nature of the survey, I thought the intent was to see what areas the Logos users made a living in.

I do not consider being a Christian an occupation, it is more who we are in Christ.  I misunderstood the intent of the question, I thought it was dealing with what kind of jobs (occupations)  the Logos users had.  Again I do not consider being a Christian as a job, since in a job I do work and get paid for it, but being a Christian is all one sided, it is not something I do and I get paid for doing, it is something that has been given to me as a gift, or "graced" to me. I believed and God placed me in Christ, and that means I am a Christian based on the grace that God has showed me.

What was the intent of the survey???

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 6:07 AM

Thank you Alan

Blessings in Christ

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 6:14 AM

Jim,

You're observations are accurate. 

The side trip into recognizing the real value of our identity in Christ as more important than our identity as a laborer is a well meaning journey. 

Now then, back to our regularly scheduled program...

I'm a pastor.  How about you?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 7:31 AM

Student, MDiv. Biblical Exegesis, RTS Jackson, MS

Posts 3781
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 7:58 AM

Thomas Black:

You're observations are accurate. 

The side trip into recognizing the real value of our identity in Christ as more important than our identity as a laborer is a well meaning journey.

As the original poster, I have to concur completely.  I was curious about occupations and career paths that members of the forums had taken.  But, the bottom line is that this has nothing to compare to what we are in Christ.  I will have to also agree with MJ, I am a full-time Christian.  And for that I praise the Lord!

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 8:23 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:

I may have misunderstood the nature of the survey, I thought the intent was to see what areas the Logos users made a living in.

I do not consider being a Christian an occupation, it is more who we are in Christ.  I misunderstood the intent of the question, I thought it was dealing with what kind of jobs (occupations)  the Logos users had.  Again I do not consider being a Christian as a job, since in a job I do work and get paid for it, but being a Christian is all one sided, it is not something I do and I get paid for doing, it is something that has been given to me as a gift, or "graced" to me. I believed and God placed me in Christ, and that means I am a Christian based on the grace that God has showed me.

What was the intent of the survey???

In Christ,

Jim

You are right, of course, Jim.  However, I like the phrase "full time Christian," and I'm glad it was used.  Also:  I like Ephesians 4:1 in the KJV, although ESV is my favourite Bible.

1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Yours in Christ,

Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 8:52 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
I like the phrase "full time Christian," and I'm glad it was used

Thank you Milford for the comforting comment.

Had I not read that t  would not have written anything.I have nothing to say anything else ,as i read that I was touched ,I am glad what others have written ,Everything is God's gift threre is nothing what we can deserve ,wether some one works ,earns money or anything else,but surprsingly instead of praising the lord such comments? I don'h have any profession ,if I have to tell my Past profession is sin nothing else ,for me to say I am full time -Chrstian is the only profession I can say ,apart of this the only thing I would say is to appologize for what I have written and I will not do that let the Lord take all the Glory. 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 8:55 AM

No harm done Tes.  None at all. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9
Pat McRight | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:15 AM

I'm a spacecraft propulsion systems engineer working for NASA.  I've never served as a minister.  I simply love the Word and strive to serve in the rank-and-file "priesthood of believers" (I Pet 2:5).  I use Logos to prepare studies for the small group I'm in, to prepare to give answers for the hope that's in me (I Pet 3:15), and to keep my living sacrifice (Rom 12:1) from crawling off the altar.  :-)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:24 AM

Interesting thread.

Over the past year I have been...

Church Planter

Web and Graphics Designer

Substitute Teacher for High School Middle School

Doctoral Candidate through Talbot School of Theology

and most recently

Ministry Development Representative for Logos in Seattle and Southern California.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:25 AM

Tes,

In my work I've met many many Eritreans, all with amazing testimonies to God's grace, mercy, provision and assurance in suffering.  Thanks for sharing...

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:59 AM

Matthew Godwin:

Tes,

In my work I've met many many Eritreans, all with amazing testimonies to God's grace, mercy, provision and assurance in suffering.  Thanks for sharing...

Paise the Lord Matthew,

I beleive one day the Gospel will be preached in the horn of Africa freely,,and I may have the occassion of intrudicing Logos bible software to the men of God.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 11:34 AM

Floyd Johnson:
 I will have to also agree with MJ, I am a full-time Christian.  And for that I praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord

This should be the motivation,this is what we  all share now and for ever.Amen

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 5:53 PM

*Associate Minister  (Itinerant Elder)

*Coordinator of the Ministry to Women

*Full-time Community College Administrator

*AWOL Doctoral Student - Political Science (Public Policy Major)

*Seminary Graduate (M.Div.)

*B.S. and M.P.A. in Public Administration

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 32561
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 10:31 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I thought it was dealing with what kind of jobs (occupations)  the Logos users had. 

We took Dad home to bury him on Saturday - home being across the field from his grandfather's house, his great-grandfather's house, the house he was born in etc. Relevance? Dad would always claim he had never had a job - he'd always done what he enjoyed (for 97 years). This included, after retirement from raising cattle, putting about 100 students through 4 years at Boise Bible College (estimate thanks to the BBC president at graveside services). For myself, after retirement the lines between vocation and avocation became very blurry (and not because of eyesight). What I do vocationally and avocationally are all related to what I believe I am called to do as a Christian and to the charisms God gave me in order to achieve what He calls me to do. At this point in my life, I prefer to do what I am called to do quietly and efficiently. Shall we say I am no Dorothy Day but I admire stories of her humility. All of which means, that for me "full-time Christian" is the most honest answer.

Before retirement, I did had another occupation - computer nerd in charge of a payroll/personnel system paying out over a billion dollars in pay and benefits annually. Having carefully made sure my credits and contributions to the retirement system & Social Security were properly credited to my account (something I did for circa 15,000 people) I suppose I can claim more strongly than many that I am now living off the fruits of my labor which frees me for more important tasks.Wink

So no, you did misunderstand the survey - I simply gave the short answer.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 6:23 AM

MJ. Smith:

We took Dad home to bury him on Saturday - home being across the field from his grandfather's house, his great-grandfather's house, the house he was born in etc. Relevance? Dad would always claim he had never had a job - he'd always done what he enjoyed (for 97 years). This included, after retirement from raising cattle, putting about 100 students through 4 years at Boise Bible College (estimate thanks to the BBC president at graveside services). For myself, after retirement the lines between vocation and avocation became very blurry (and not because of eyesight). What I do vocationally and avocationally are all related to what I believe I am called to do as a Christian and to the charisms God gave me in order to achieve what He calls me to do. At this point in my life, I prefer to do what I am called to do quietly and efficiently. Shall we say I am no Dorothy Day but I admire stories of her humility. All of which means, that for me "full-time Christian" is the most honest answer.

Before retirement, I did had another occupation - computer nerd in charge of a payroll/personnel system paying out over a billion dollars in pay and benefits annually. Having carefully made sure my credits and contributions to the retirement system & Social Security were properly credited to my account (something I did for circa 15,000 people) I suppose I can claim more strongly than many that I am now living off the fruits of my labor which frees me for more important tasks.Wink

So no, you did misunderstand the survey - I simply gave the short answer.

MJ, thanks for sharing the rest of the story.

Posts 760
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 11:59 AM

Joe Miller:

Interesting thread.

Over the past year I have been...

Church Planter

Web and Graphics Designer

Substitute Teacher for High School Middle School

Doctoral Candidate through Talbot School of Theology

and most recently

Ministry Development Representative for Logos in Seattle and Southern California.

Joe -

I honestly don't know how you do it all!

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 2:56 PM

MJ.Smith, thanks for your reply I thought one of us had not understood the purpose of the person that started the thread, I see now that we both understood the purpose, and that we just understand the biblical teaching about being a full time Christian differently.

I must confess, I believe that all believers are full time Christians, and that their occupations, jobs or vocation does not change that.

Now you have me wondering from a biblical point of view do you believe there are part time Christians as well as full time Christians and what would the difference would be?

I know for example that some people like the use of the phrase full time Christians in the context of occupation, since Milford said he did, but then he mentions the KJV translation of Eph 4:1 where the word vocation is used, but a quick word study shows why other translations don't use the word vocation.

It is okay with me that we disagree on this, but I was just taken off guard that the post went in the direction it did based on the idea that a full time Christian is an occupation. 

All believers need to understand that based on our belief in Christ, and what He did for us, we are all full time Christians no matter what we do!

In Christ,

Jim

Page 5 of 8 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS