Logos App is running in the background but won't run in the foreground therefore can't access resources.

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 58 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 8:56 AM

OK, Tom,

I removed the program and deleted everything that said 'LOGOS' (that I could find), and did a re-install again.  It seems to be working fine, but indexing is taking hours and has yet to finish.  Is this normal for the initial startup?

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 9:01 AM

VitoMazzara:

OK, Tom,

I removed the program and deleted everything that said 'LOGOS' (that I could find), and did a re-install again.  It seems to be working fine, but indexing is taking hours and has yet to finish.  Is this normal for the initial startup?

Yes, the initial indexing will consume a number of hours to complete.  

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 10:35 AM

OK, Well.

When I initiated the indexing it originally said 3 hours, then 4.  After letting it set for about 2 hours it came back saying 12 hours, then couple minutes later 13 hours.  It just keeps increasing.  this normal too?

The library opens and seems to function, however the MBP is running hot enough to fry an egg.  I fear letting it run too long attempting to index if it's not indexing.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 11:19 AM

The change in time estimates is normal.  

The heat is also normal. However, if you want to keep things cooler, you can do what I do, put a house fan next to your computer.

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 12:01 PM

OK I'll wait this thing out.  3 hours later It says 23 hours now.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 12:20 PM

Make sure that your hard disk is not going into hibernation when you are away. This will pause indexing.  

A utility like Caffeine will make sure your computer does not sleep

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/caffeine.html

Ultimately, it wont take anywhere near 23 hours to index (something under 5 depending on the size of your library).  

Blessings

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 12:50 PM

I have "Insomnia" to keep the  computer running when I'm away. 30 hours and counting.

Posts 68
Tom Philpot | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 12:57 PM

Vito,

Close any applications you don't need to free up as much memory as possible. Indexing needs about 1 GB of RAM while it's running. If you run low on free RAM while it's indexing it can really increase to indexing time.

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 2:47 PM

Everything has been shut down, for the most part.  Now at 44 hours remaining.  How long should I wait before I realize it's not working? Or how do I know if it is?

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 3:59 PM

You can use Activity Monitor to see if your CPU is working hard while indexing. You can use Console to view the Indexer.log. Sometimes the indexer appears to pause when Logos 4 is shutdown, but I haven't yet detemined the cause. If it appears that nothing is happening in the CPU in Activity Monitor try starting Logos4 again.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2010 4:56 PM

I restarted. The indexer begins without me opening LBS. The Activity monitor is showing the indexer working hard and using about 500m memory. Started at 47 minutes remaining, now up to 9 hours.  Waiting it out.

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 30 2010 11:05 AM

OK, I left it running overnight and it is at 143 hours remaining.  It begins indexing when the computer boots, prior to opening L4. So there is no way to keep it from the process without uninstalling the program.

Here is the log.

78343.Archive.zip

Posts 5319
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 30 2010 2:57 PM

Hi Vito

You didn't allow the computer to sleep during the night did you?

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 30 2010 3:15 PM

No. I have Insomnia installed.   Needless to say, the computer was hot, having run the process very hard all day and following night.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 10:00 AM

Vito,

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?  At least 10GB is required for indexing to complete.

I put a fan next to my laptop so keep it cool.  My iMac also runs hot (and I don't have Logos on it) so it is really an issue with Mac not doing a good job of dispersing the heat when running resource intensive applications.  Anyway, running a house fan next to it makes me feel better.

Blessings

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 4:34 PM

Joe,

I have 20 gig of free space.. 2 gig RAM

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 4:44 PM

2 gig RAM

That's most likely your problem. Indexing could take a VERY long time if you don't have enough RAM.

Posts 25
Vito Mazzara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 5:44 PM

My 2 year old iMac with 2Gig RAM running Leopard can run L4 flawlessly. But my 3 Year old MBP with 2 gig RAM running Snow leopard cannot?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 6:39 AM

Vito,

Are you still having trouble with your Logos 4 install on Snow Leopard?

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS