For those that have used Logos for a while...a question

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2814
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 9:15 PM

For well over 20 years I have bought over 90% of my pastor's library from Logos.  It is one of the best decisions that I ever made.  I have never lost a Logos book in all that time.  The Logos books are much more useful as they are tagged and work together.  Language study is much more practical and quicker to do.  Twenty year old books are as good as new.  Most of my library is always with me on my cell phone.  And I have saved money as compared to what the same books would cost in paper format.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 166
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2018 10:33 AM

First, I'd like to remind you of a bit of context for your question here.  The nature of this forum is such that the VAST majority of people here will be inclined toward digital, and Logos specifically.  Those who prefer paper, or even who are more balanced about such things won't be as likely to lurk here.  If you read these forums, you will find that many (most?) people who frequent this forum have paid thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, and have thousands, or tens of thousands of books in Logos.  This doesn't invalidate people's input, but it is something to keep in mind when reading answers to your question.

As for me, I've used Logos since 1997.  I had already bought many of the foundational language resources I would want for deep language study (lexicons, dictionaries, Greek and Hebrew Bibles, etc.) in dead tree format before I bought Logos.  Once I got and began using these resources in Logos, I was hooked, and haven't used them in paper since.  I save hours each week, just with the ability to tie various books together, and to electronically search lexicons and sometimes dictionaries and encyclopedias. 

Commentaries are different for me than for most people here.  I have bought a couple of full sets when they went on killer sale with Logos.  I've also bought a couple of sets, and other resources, in other software formats.  It doesn't bother me at all to open up two or three software programs to access various commentaries.  Further, if/when I am preaching through particular books of the Bible, I will buy two or three of the best specific commentaries for that book of the Bible.  If Logos were to have those specific volumes cheapest, I would buy from them first, but that's never happened for me yet.  Most of the time, paper volumes can be obtained much cheaper.  And, just like using other software packages, it doesn't bother me to have a couple of commentaries open on my desk to the passage I'm preparing.  I don't do any "searching" of my commentaries.  Since I just open them to the passage I'm on, using hard copies doesn't take appreciably more time.  This works for me, and I don't assume I will change in the near future.

As for books to be read, I almost never buy them in Logos.  If I'm going to buy digital, I almost always buy from Amazon, and use my Kindle reader. Amazon is almost always cheaper, and my Kindle has other advantages over Logos when it comes to books to be read..   I DO find that I retain what I've read MUCH better with paper resources, and recently there have been lots of studies that show this is true for nearly everyone else as well.  That said, I'm moving more and more to digital, due to convenience.  Being able to carry a Reader that has whatever book I'm reading is great.  Also, when you highlight (and make notes) in a book on a Kindle, those can be quickly, easily downloaded and saved in it's own document, as your own personal summary of the book.  If I like the book, or found anything valuable in it, I'll spend a little time re-reading, and essentially studying these highlights and notes when I'm done reading the book, to help offset any retention deficit from reading digitally.  Then, I copy each of these summaries into Evernote, and then every highlight from every book I read becomes fully searchable.  Outstanding for sermon illustrations, or just finding that thing I remember reading in some book, but can't remember which one, or where in the book it is.

Okay, that last paragraph got a bit off of your specific question, but seemed to be somewhat on topic of digital vs print resources.

Last thought.  Someone brought up not fully trusting digital.  That can mean different things to different people.  For me, my lack of trust is in the long term viability of any software company.  I've kept my original language books, just in case.  If Logos were to go under, the software would continue to work for a while, but in time would probably become unusable.  Now, if Logos were to go under, I would likely begin searching for new electronic options for the future.  However, keeping my old resources gives me some freedom to not be left flat-footed in any potential situation like that.

Posts 8728
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2018 2:15 AM

Brad:
For those that have had Logos a year or longer, are you satisfied with the direction you've gone?

Absolutely!

Brad:
Do you wish you would have purchased more physical copies of books?

No!

Brad:
More Logos copies of books?

My goal is to eliminate most of my physical books as they become available in Logos. I have never regretted going this direction.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2018 3:02 AM

Brad:
For those that have had Logos a year or longer, are you satisfied with the direction you've gone?  Do you wish you would have purchased more physical copies of books?  More Logos copies of books?

Absolutely no way I could go back to paper now.

It's so much faster to look up commentaries in Logos, with hyperlinking, searching for where a verse has been used in Judaism or the church fathers, comparing what commentators from different streams/eras have said. We are the first generation who've been able to do this, It makes research possible that has never been possible before.

And that's before you start to think of things like portability. I carry my entire library to work to use every day, and back home in the evening to use for study. What I mark up on my phablet is there on my laptop when I need it later. I can carry the entire library on an aircraft with me.

A few weeks ago, we painted the study at home, and I was sure glad I didn't have 40+ bookshelves to move. Come to think of it, I think we'd need a bigger house if they were paper books.

But the main thing is time. I may only have 15 productive years in my life, and I need to make every one of  them count.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS