Page 1 of 6 (108 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 107 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 22 2009 3:35 PM

There are three or four commentaries I find the most valuable. I like them because they are concise in their reasoning, very sound in the reasoning(not able to be disputed very easily), and give, trace how others came to an understanding of the text(though not all do this).

Here is my list of commentaries I probably use the most.

MacArthur's New Testament Commentary

Baker Exegetical Commentary of the NT

The works of M. S. Mills-this was a little unknown to me until I did a search of every resource that speaks of a particular passage. He has commentaries as well as study guides.

The College Presss NIV Commentary.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 4:32 PM

For me it's the IVP Bible Background Commentary., always the first one I turn to. I like that it's not so much what the text means, but why the author would have used these words. Great reference.

Second would be the Life Application Bible notes, or commentary series. Not so much for the interpretation, but the wording. I couldn't count the number of times that, during my personal studies, I could not find the right words to summarize a section that I was making notes on, only to turn to this work and find myself thinking “Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say”.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:23 PM

College Press NIV Commentary

Word Biblical Commentary

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 5:28 AM

I would like to get the Baker Exegetical Commentary in Logos, as I would use it.  I do currently use the WBC quite often as well.

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 9
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 5:31 AM

Hermeneia, Harper's Bible Commentary, Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching, and Word Biblical Commentary

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 8:20 AM

Technical- WBC; Semi-technical-Pillar or BENTC, Homeletic- Preaching the Word or Boice.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 3:17 PM

Baker NT

BENTC

MacArthur

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 26
Joseph Colombo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 5:43 PM

Commentary sets are like boxed CD sets of classical music, e.g., a set of Mozart or Beethoven symphonies.  Some are outstanding, other are OK, and a few are real clunkers.  That being said, when I am working through a book, I usually find one commentary in either Hermeneia, AYB, WBC, or NIGTC (if New Testament) to use as my "base" commentary.

Posts 7
Jaycu49 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:03 PM

I use thePul[it commentary sparingly. I personally believe If Christians spent as much time studying the Bible and less time studying the Commentaries there would be less divisions in the church

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:49 PM

Gay Ulrich:

I use thePul[it commentary sparingly. I personally believe If Christians spent as much time studying the Bible and less time studying the Commentaries there would be less divisions in the church

How so? I think that I understand what you are getting at, but could you explain it more fully?

Thanks,

Paul

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 11:52 PM

Some years ago, before I started to use commentaries in Logos, the first thing I turned to, was The Bible Knowledge commentary. Now in Logos I still look into it quite often in a regular reading of the Bible.

For the sermon preparation I use the following:

WBC, NIGTC, UBS Handbook series

I refer quite often to NAC and Preacher's Commentary Series

I like to look at Jewish NT Commentary, sometimes to Thru the Bible of Vernon McGee

Looking forward to using the individual volumes I just got: PNTC - for John, ICC for Acts, Kent Hughes for Acts

Looking forward to NICOT/NICNT

Also BECNT series looks very useful to me, especially some volumes like Acts of Bock.

God bless you

Bohuslav

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:21 AM

I find the UBS Handbook series quite helpful, almost every single time, no matter the book, for thinking through translation and exegetical questions.  I also like how it interacts with various English translations.  I find it pretty even handed.

I second some of those who like the Bible Backgrounds commentary (IVP).  It won't comment on every single verse, but usually with give good information on a pericope I am studying.

There are series that I always consult (WBC, NAC, Baker Exegetical, Pillar, College Press, etc).  But they are not always equal in their value, depending on the author.  Sometimes WBC is tedious to wade through.  I also don't like how it is indexed (if that is the proper term).  Plugging in a particular verse does not always take me to the location I would expect.  College press has several "light weight" editions, but I have liked Deuteronomy (G. Hall), Psalms, Romans, Hebrews. 

I will also plug the New Bible Commentary.  Not always extensive, but depending on the book, I have found keen insights, and wording, and one poster described his own appreciation for the Life App set.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:23 AM

I only wish I could afford Hermeneia or Anchor Yale--but I don't like all the editions, either ,to justify the whole set  and cost.  I would love to by, eg, REBrown's work, or Markus Barth,  or Attridge.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:29 AM

i agree with your love for studying the word first.  I have unearthed many things in my own study that may not have happened if I had locked into a particular line of thought/argument within a commentary.  Often< i also find out that on my own, I discovered (so to speak) things that "good" commentaries later also show me, but because I did the work myself, I "own" it more within me.

I don't see commentaries as such as being a major source of church division, however.  But I might agree that some authors, and some theological systems are pretty dogmatic and those who ONLY consult those particular views set themselves over against others in a condescending way.  But that is not the fault of "commentaries" as a tool.  It is the fault of a particular mindset of either the author himself, and/or the heart of the person using the commentary.

I have been very blessed using commentaries, even as much as I like doing my own "dirty work" when it comes to Bible study.

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 9:22 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

I don't see commentaries as such as being a major source of church division, however.  But I might agree that some authors, and some theological systems are pretty dogmatic and those who ONLY consult those particular views set themselves over against others in a condescending way.

Theologians are often a lot like physicists in  a way. That is, they see some unexplained data and they speculate as to what it means. Then they pass their speculation around through the rumor mill, talk abut it ceaselessly and in the end, if they've garnered enough "yea" votes along the way, carve it all in stone.

Later on if somebody else comes along and points to some other bit of unexplained data that seems to contradict that now wholly affirmed speculation they get angry and defensive and call the new guy names.

If you ask me it's pride that causes division more than anything. You know, serving two masters, a house divided and all that.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 9:55 AM

there is a level of intolerance when it comes to systemitizing theology.  We cram things in a box, speculate on "if you take this (opposiing) view, it will ONLY lead to this . . . and tar and feather those who oppose.  Just check out many "4 (or 5) views of __________" type book to see that we can get so entrenched in our view that even without intending to, we condescend toward or commiserate for (oh, I prayyyy for you that you will see the light).

We really DO seem a bit pharasaical with our theological hedges. 

Ahh, but heck, going down this road will open up a can of worms I don't want to get into.  Just don't read any IVP works.  They are tooo liberal.

jk. :)

Posts 6
ab360 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 11:06 AM

Paul Golder:
For me it's the IVP Bible Background Commentary., always the first one I turn to. I like that it's not so much what the text means, but why the author would have used these words.

Totally agree -- I find that it helps me put the message in perspective.  It doesn't always cover what I want to know, however; does anyone have recommendations of other resources that shed light on the cultural context?

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 1:26 PM

Daniel DeVilder:

there is a level of intolerance when it comes to systemitizing theology.  We cram things in a box, speculate on "if you take this (opposiing) view, it will ONLY lead to this . . . and tar and feather those who oppose.  Just check out many "4 (or 5) views of __________" type book to see that we can get so entrenched in our view that even without intending to, we condescend toward or commiserate for (oh, I prayyyy for you that you will see the light).

You talking to me? (He asks as he stands alone sneering at a mirror in his one room ghetto apartment, packing heat that is strapped to every limb with an assortment  of ingenious holsters and spring loaded gadgets). It sounds like you're talking to me. Leastwise, what you say seems to follow from what I said. Still, isn't exactly what you would call obvious, especially when your post starts a new page like that. What this forum needs is an "In Reply To" button for each post so that people can track conversations backwards through an hierarchical view.

Daniel DeVilder:

We really DO seem a bit pharasaical with our theological hedges. 

Ahh, but heck, going down this road will open up a can of worms I don't want to get into.

What can of worms? We're accusing people who are largely hypothetical. Everybody agrees that there are some people out there who behave in this way. We just don't agree on whom.

Daniel DeVilder:

Just don't read any IVP works.  They are tooo liberal.

Oh, "that" can of worms.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 1:57 PM

nahhh, John, just saying (he types hurriedly so that he can run upstairs to the little boy--never mind).  

It is always safe arguing against Large hypercritical--I mean, large hippocritical--I mean, largely hypothetical people.

Anyway, my joy today, that probably no one on this forum shares, is that the US beat Spain the the semi-final of the Confederations Cup.  That's soccer, folks.  :)

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 1:57 PM

PS.  I love Opus.

Page 1 of 6 (108 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS