Page 3 of 6 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 107 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:35 AM

man, I wish we could edit what PART of the quote we want.

But, yes, it IS good to read the Bible once in a while . . . :)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 8:51 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
man, I wish we could edit

You can.  Highlight what you want.  Or, as an alternative, simply go back and delete what you don't want.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:36 AM

I use ICC, Hermeneia, Anchor, NIGTC and, for Old Testament the JPS Commentaries. Some volumes of the WBC are OK.

Rich+

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:31 AM

George Somsel:
So, MAC is the dark side!  Well, we've found one thing we agree on, we don't like MACs.

We indeed agree on at least one thing. This is enough to convince a sceptic that miracles still do existBig Smile

I build and customize my own PCs, I cannot stand the restrictions that Apple puts on its customers. A "PC" that I cannot build is a "PC" that I cannot use

I know I could build a so called hackintosh and Run MAC OS on it, but it is not permitted by the EULA on top of the fact that it is an inferior platform with restricted compatibility

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:58 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Essentially my "list" too, except I frequently find the UBS set very valuable.  I just got Cornerstone, so am not really familiar with it.  I used it a tad on some work in John.  Pillar I just got, too.  I own Ephesians as a hard copy and really liked it (PT O'Brien).

You mentioned Hoehner.  I just "discovered" him, can't remember what it was for.  Maybe Ephesians?  Or did he do some in Hebrews?  Anyway, I DID like him to.  So he was a professor of yours?

My problem in using commentaries (besides relying on other's conclusions, not doing your own work, etc) is that it is easy to get caught up in the minutiae of academia (I am not anti-academic, however) and forget asking questions like: "what does this teach us about God" or "how does this play out in our lives?" etc.

OH, I have liked some of what I read in Witherington's Socio-Rhetorical commentary set, too.  A whole different approach, and it is quite enlightening.  You should check it out.

Normal 0 false false false EN-CA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hoehner wrote what is considered by many the best and most detailed commentary on Ephesians (the one by Baker). He also wrote Ephesians in the Cornerstone Biblical Commentary. I took one of his courses at DTS. He was a very humble, approachable, helpful, insightful, and knowledgeable man, always with interesting stories to tell. I have to admit that my fear was to have it in the oral exam in the comps. When asked what to expect in the oral, he used to tell us half jokingly that we should know the whole Bible .

I have Witherington's Socio-Rhetorical commentary set, but I do not use it that much

I am currently doing a synthesis of all the books of the Bible, looking at the message and the development of the argument through the book. It is a refreshing and eye opening change of emphasis and outlook from the usual exegesis of short passages. Both are needed, but the latter approach dominates biblical studies in general and commentaries in particular.

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:09 PM

Yes, you are right, the bible alone will teach us much in English. I aspire to write an article on a certain methodology of bible study on just reading the bible and some other things related to reading the bible and perhaps get it published in Bible Study Magazine. The point of my comments was because someone mentioned about using commentaries in a "negative" light. The other reason to show the other resources I use the most is to show that these are what I use the most. I am not trying to be offensive, disagreeable, or prideful n any way when saying this. I started this conversation on commentaries and hopefully to the gentleman whom initially stated a critique against using commentaries to see I am not reliant upon them alone.

Yes, sometimes when I respond to somethng like this, my "straight talk" from ten years in the military where I got accustomed to saying something a certain way might be taking the wrong way.

So if my words offended, please understand that it is not intended to offend, but dis-agree or give my mind on a subject in a hopefully gracious and kind way. If I failed at this, have patiance with me.

God bless

Dave Emme

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:32 PM

On Lexham. I do not know greek and maybe have a surface familiarality. I have been buying resources through Logos and book form as well as bought one DVD as well as a CD(cannot remember the name right now)  where it is very good for refreshing or as a study guide to Greek for first time Greek students such as myself-I will have to track down the name. It is not a Libronix product, though I wish it was and is fairly inexpensive.

Again, on Lexham, they have a lot to do with Greek, but they also have a component where they use the ESV for causual outlines where they break down point, sub points to support the main point, counter points and ect. Until I learn Greek, this is the one I use the most.

I do not know what level of Logos you own, but I am at the Gold level. With this, with the stuff you are talking about with looking how a word is used, though some say it is dated, I found that the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament would suit you fine. If you do not have it, I can paste an example of how it is used, the level it goes into.

I do not know Greek or Hebrew, but aspire to know these and have as many resources as I can gather digitally from Logos and Google free books I can download. I put an order in today and think I own just about every Greek resource offered by Logos except the current Pre-Pubs. One reason is because I love studying the bible and want to be a master of the biblical langauges so I can have more knowledge of God's word. The other reason is I am currently going to school for a secular degree for rahabilitation from the military of many things which happened when I was wounded in Combat. I have TBI, shrapnel in my brain and a prosthetic skull on the left side of my skull. Basically, I want to rehabilitate to be able to work and make sure I can handle Bible College or Seminary level work as well as be able to put my full mind and efforts to work for the Lord. The more I go on, the more I realise what matters is our work for the Lord and we are tools in God's will to bring glory to God. I intend to be a very sharp and effective tool for the Lord.

Because of my travels to the Philippines, I see myself as going to the mission field and possibly doing some translational work. In cebano, they only have the NT in their language and met native pastors who do not have the bible in their language, preach from an English or Cebano/ Tagolog text and then have to translate that in his sermons. There are well over 150 language groups in the Philippines and not all of them way up in the mountains or deep into the jungles have a text of the bible in their language. So as you see, I see myself doing some translational work in the future if I can overcome some dissabilities. On the other hand, I look at Logos and regular print books as my "toys" and want to buy most if not all of the stuff I desire before getting married.

God bless

Dave Emme

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:01 PM

David Emme:

Because of my travels to the Philippines, I see myself as going to the mission field and possibly doing some translational work. In cebano, they only have the NT in their language and met native pastors who do not have the bible in their language, preach from an English or Cebano/ Tagolog text and then have to translate that in his sermons. There are well over 150 language groups in the Philippines and not all of them way up in the mountains or deep into the jungles have a text of the bible in their language. So as you see, I see myself doing some translational work in the future if I can overcome some dissabilities. On the other hand, I look at Logos and regular print books as my "toys" and want to buy most if not all of the stuff I desire before getting married.

God bless

Dave Emme

If you're thinking of going to the field and doing translational work, you certainly have picked the right platform since lugging print books around can be quite a chore.  When I left Grand Rapids to go to grad school in Claremont, CA, I had a U-Haul with orange boxes of books clear across the front and floor to ceiling.  I spent considerable time simply getting enough boxes for everything.  Now I can carry a considerable amount (I can't say "everything" since everything isn't published by Logos) in a bag about the size of an attaché case.  Good luck in your project.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 5:08 PM

Some of my current favorites:

- Horae Homileticae

- Focus on The Bible

- Preacher's Commentary 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 36070
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:54 PM

What can I say - I waffle.  Sometimes I want a commentary that is good on the linguistics side, sometimes on the literary/images side, sometimes on the historical-social side, sometime for pure perversity structural or post-modern, sometimes pastoral, sometimes doctrinal ... oops that already gets me above the 3-4 without even mentioning pastristic. And (horror of horrors) I own none of my favorites in Logos format.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 12:28 AM

David Emme:
Basically, I want to rehabilitate to be able to work and make sure I can handle Bible College or Seminary level work as well as be able to put my full mind and efforts to work for the Lord. The more I go on, the more I realise what matters is our work for the Lord and we are tools in God's will to bring glory to God. I intend to be a very sharp and effective tool for the Lord.

Thank you for sharing with us your desire to do the will of God. I really appreciate it. God bless you in your endeavour.

I think Logos is the best thing to invest into as a tool for any ministry and translation work. Some people would say Bible Works has traditionally been used by Bible translators but IMHO with all the library you can build in Logos, I think it is excellent tool and helps you not have to carry with you all the boxes of paper books. You just have them in your notebook or netbook.

Have a nice day

Bohuslav

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:41 AM

Alain Maashe:
I am currently doing a synthesis of all the books of the Bible, looking at the message and the development of the argument through the book. It is a refreshing and eye opening change of emphasis and outlook from the usual exegesis of short passages. Both are needed, but the latter approach dominates biblical studies in general and commentaries in particular.

No, I agree with you.  I think that is a fascinating way to study.  Actually, I was thinking the socio rhetorical commentaries ed. by Witherington kind of took that approach.  I did just look at a commentary that does that: Hebrews, By James W. Thompson in the Paideia series.  Unfortunately those are not Logos, just hard copy.  And, the ESV Literary Study Bible  www.esvliterarystudybible.org/  also does that.  It sets the book within the whole Bible story and then each passage is preceded by a few comments on how they fit into the whole.  Maybe not as extensive as the work you might be doing but definitely a bit of a novelty, especially with study Bibles.  All the best to you.  That kind of study is exactly what turned me "ON" to the Bible when I first started Bible college, in a class that looked at 1 Peter.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:48 AM

MarthaJSmith:
And (horror of horrors) I own none of my favorites in Logos format.

Bad girl!!!  lol, actually your post was both amusing and inspiring.  I hope to do a bit more searching in my church fathers' set.  Now that i know how to do reference and topic browsing . . . the whole Logos is my oyster!

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:50 AM

Joe, I have to confess I have not heard of the first, don't really know the second, and rarely get into the third--though I have been intrigued by it.  Can you expand a bit on what they are and why you like them?   Thanks (in advance!)  :)

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:54 AM

First, to David: all the best to you!  your dream and focus are inspiring.  I have also had friends in the Phillipines as missionaries.  Not easy work.  Our Lord be with you (yeah, I kind of think he already is.  kind of a promise he gave, eh? :)  )

George--lol, i was wondering at first why all your boxes were "orange."  Seriously! lol.  Anyway, I get it.  I remember when my family moved to Germany, dad was a missionary.  Loads and loads of apple and other boxes, FULL of books, lugging them up several flights of stairs to our apartment.  Oh Logos, where wert thou.?"  (is wert a word?  should be)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:14 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Alain Maashe:

No, I agree with you.  I think that is a fascinating way to study.  Actually, I was thinking the socio rhetorical commentaries ed. by Witherington kind of took that approach.  I did just look at a commentary that does that: Hebrews, By James W. Thompson in the Paideia series.  Unfortunately those are not Logos, just hard copy.  And, the ESV Literary Study Bible  www.esvliterarystudybible.org/  also does that.  It sets the book within the whole Bible story and then each passage is preceded by a few comments on how they fit into the whole.  Maybe not as extensive as the work you might be doing but definitely a bit of a novelty, especially with study Bibles.  All the best to you.  That kind of study is exactly what turned me "ON" to the Bible when I first started Bible college, in a class that looked at 1 Peter.

Doesn't this most generally fall under the rubric of "Introduction"?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:21 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Joe, I have to confess I have not heard of the first, don't really know the second, and rarely get into the third--though I have been intrigued by it.  Can you expand a bit on what they are and why you like them?   Thanks (in advance!)  :)

Please quote.  In the Newsgroup we knew immediately to whom you were replying and thereby what you were referencing.  Here we do not have that (Newsgroups FOREVER).  What are "first", "second" and "third"?  One must SEARCH for the post.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:24 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
George--lol, i was wondering at first why all your boxes were "orange."  Seriously! lol.  Anyway, I get it.  I remember when my family moved to Germany, dad was a missionary.  Loads and loads of apple and other boxes, FULL of books, lugging them up several flights of stairs to our apartment.  Oh Logos, where wert thou.?"  (is wert a word?  should be)

Yes, "wert" is a word though I would be inclined to use "wast" if I were to resort to Middle English (or is it even Middle English?).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:45 AM

George Somsel:
Please quote.  In the Newsgroup we knew immediately to whom you were replying and thereby what you were referencing.  Here we do not have that (Newsgroups FOREVER).  What are "first", "second" and "third"? 

Sorry for my poor etiquette:

First, was "Horae Homileticae", second was "Focus on the Bible" and third was Pulpit Commentary.  Three commentaries Joe used frequently.

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:48 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

George Somsel:
Please quote.  In the Newsgroup we knew immediately to whom you were replying and thereby what you were referencing.  Here we do not have that (Newsgroups FOREVER).  What are "first", "second" and "third"? 

Sorry for my poor etiquette:

First, was "Horae Homileticae", second was "Focus on the Bible" and third was Pulpit Commentary.  Three commentaries Joe used frequently.

I think the 3rd was not the "Pulpit Commentary Series" but "Preacher's Commentary Series".

I like Preacher's Commentary Series by the way. Pulpit series looks too old IMHO and its English is quite odd to me, sorry for that.

Bohuslav

Page 3 of 6 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS