Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 6:02 AM

Everything in Logos 3 has been working fine until the last week or two. 

But now, whenever I scroll my bible and my linked commentaries the program freezes for 10-20 seconds before it finally jumps partially to where I was scrolling it.  Then it freezes again.

I do have several Bibles and several commentaries open and linked together.  I also have parallel resources for the Bibles and the commentaries set up. 

I wonder if I just have too much stuff linked together and trying to scroll them all together.  Or could it be possible that I have some parallel resources set up incorrectly - like including series commentary sets along with my 1 volume commentaries.  Or Old Testament commentaries with New Testament commentaries   

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this in Logos 3?

And any solutions?  I sure would like to get this working as it was before.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 7:08 AM

Are you using L4 at the same time (in another window)? I typically run L3 and L4 at the same time, and recently L3 started freezing up. Having watched its behavior, it seems to be runninng out of memory, though that's not apparent in the memory monitor on my PC. I also can't tell if L3 is the issue (e.g. doesn't respond to memory issues correctly) or L4. But it is a recent problem since L4b arrived. Usually I have to do a re-start, since L3 doesn't back out gracefully. I've tried various combinations and haven't found the work-around yet. Plus the issue isn't frequent, so presumably it's a combination of events.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 10:17 AM

Hi, and thanks for the response.

No, this seems to happen no matter what else is running.  It happens when I'm running L3 all by itself - or - when I'm running L4 at the same time.  It definitely seems to be something that's happening inside of L3.

Although I had wondered about the memory issue, as I have only 2 gigabytes on this Windows XP machine.  L3 had been working fine on this machine until recently.  But I'm not sure that's it's the memory because the same is happening on my Windows 7 laptop - and it has 4 gigabytes of ram.

I seem to remember that someone somewhere said that certain commentary sets can have a performance issue (i.e; series sets vs. 1 volume sets) if you include them together in a parallel resource association.  And I have the same parallel resource associations set up on both of my computers - so maybe that's the issue.

And, these Logos resources are not just plain text.  When every single word can potentially be a link to something, whether it's a simple definition or a Bible verse or a link to another resource (or several other resources) - and then add to that the fact that I have about 100+ resources all trying to keep in sync - maybe I just need to pare it down a little, and not have so much running all at once.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 10:33 AM

You know, I just checked on my laptop (which has 4 gigs of ram) after making a few minor adjustments to the parallel resource associations and now it's not freezing. 

So, on second thought, I think you may be onto something with the idea that I may be running out of memory on my Windows XP computer.  I'll have to increase the memory and re-test it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS