indexing and power source in A19 (A19.1)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 6:06 AM

The new released A19 and A19.1 have a new feature that will not allow indexing unless the computer is plugged.  "Indexing will now pause if your computer is running on battery power and resume when reconnected to a power source."

Why do we need this?  It is so reminiscent of Windows and Microsoft getting into the way you use your computer...  I do not need Logos to tell me when to plug my computer.  I understand that indexing is a CPU intensive process and therefore is also power demanding.  But in order to extend the life of a battery, it is advisable to let the battery run its power cycle completely, and thus, why will logos be designed to interfere with my computer's battery cycling?

I don't see the need for this feature and in fact it annoys me...  I vote for its removal...

What do people think?

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 6:17 AM

Seeing as indexing is an automatic thing - the last thing that I want is the indexing to start when I am using the computer, slow down the working, and start the fans while I am working away from the office and in company.

I note that Apple do not start downloads of updates when disconnected from a power source unless you override their advice. I guess that Apples way would be ok.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 9
Benjamin Galan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 8:05 AM

Greetings to all,

Fernando, the thinking on batteries has changed quite a bit lately with the newer battery technologies. The old nickel-cadmium batteries had a built in memory chip that remember your battery usage. In those cases, you needed to use a complete cycle so the battery would remember the whole think and extend its life. The new lithium-polymer batteries, the ones used in the newer macs and newer batteries, do not require this kind of usage. 

Here's a good link with great suggestions for battery maintenance. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1764220

Have a blessed day!

Benjamin

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 9:04 AM

Mike Binks:
Apple do not start downloads of updates when disconnected from a power source unless you override their advice.

I guess this is precisely my point.  I remain with the option do decide.  As it is I loose the option.  I can always delay or stop my indexing when I'm working, but now I do not have the option of indexing while unplugged.  I just want the option to decide back...

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 10:38 AM

Fernando A Gonzalez:
I guess this is precisely my point.  I remain with the option do decide.  As it is I loose the option.  I can always delay or stop my indexing when I'm working, but now I do not have the option of indexing while unplugged.  I just want the option to decide back...

Fernando,

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll look at providing an override option in future alphas.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 3:23 PM

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS