Second Free Giveaway Nelson's eBible Deluxe

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 6:57 PM

I'm continuing to clean-up my resources and giveaway those that I'm not using. 

I'd like to giveaway for free my Nelson's eBible Deluxe collection to anyone that is interested.  I will pay the Logos license transfer fee and if you want the CD's, I will mail them to you.

If you are interested, please send an email to me at wpbnb2 at gmail dot com.  I will randomly select a winner on Saturday 5/15.

Bill 

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 11:31 PM

That's a nice thing for you to do. A few years ago I picked up the Expanded Edition, so it would be pointless for me to enter into this contest. I never win anyway.Stick out tongue

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 2:41 AM

bill,

As much as this is a good thing to do...the forum rules prohibit giving away or selling.

You can do it on Linkedin Logos, but not here...sorry.

I ran into the same thing recently. Sad

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 9:17 AM

Robert,

Thanks for the info.  Just noticed it on the guidelines.

Based on Logos guidelines, I'll stop the offer now.  For those that have responded, I will do a random drawing this evening and let you know who won.

Bill

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 9:59 AM

Robert Pavich:

bill,

As much as this is a good thing to do...the forum rules prohibit giving away or selling.

You can do it on Linkedin Logos, but not here...sorry.

I ran into the same thing recently. Sad

Can I propose to Logos that this rule (as far as giveaway goes) be removed. I love Logos; I love the forums, but this interaction leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Somebody came to the Logos community with an extremely gracious offer as an attempt to help grow the Logos community at cost to himself and the response is that he gets shutdown (Robert it's not your fault; you are "doing your job"). IMO that rule needs to be removed.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 10:48 AM

Jacob Hantla:

[Can I propose to Logos that this rule (as far as giveaway goes) be removed. I love Logos; I love the forums, but this interaction leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Somebody came to the Logos community with an extremely gracious offer as an attempt to help grow the Logos community at cost to himself and the response is that he gets shutdown (Robert it's not your fault; you are "doing your job"). IMO that rule needs to be removed.

Thanks Jacob.  I agree.  Seems like an odd rule.  My last giveaway (before I realized the rules) did not generate a huge amount of bandwidth and it was very easy to do.  Maybe there's something else that Logos is concerned about.

Bill

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 10:51 AM

Bill Bougie:
Thanks Jacob.  I agree.  Seems like an odd rule.  My last giveaway (before I realized the rules) did not generate a huge amount of bandwidth and it was very easy to do.  Maybe there's something else that Logos is concerned about.

Yeah, I bet it's because they don't want companies or individuals coming here with free-giveaway promotions to drive traffic to another website or promote a product.  That's my understanding of what the spirit of the rule is--unfortunately, the letter of the rule seems to prevent altruistic giveaways too.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 33850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 11:30 AM

Todd Phillips:
I bet it's because they don't want companies or individuals coming here with free-giveaway promotions to drive traffic to another website or promote a product.

One thing Logos could consider is making a forum specifically for giving away products where the potential recipients were limited to "residents of poor countries", "missionaries", "seminarians", "prison chaplains" ...i.e. there are several possibilities for the restrictions. They could also allow the purchase of products specifically to go into the pool - an alternative to financial contributions. It would be a bear to figure out how to best set it up but would probably run smoothly thereafter.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 11:37 AM

MJ. Smith:

Todd Phillips:
I bet it's because they don't want companies or individuals coming here with free-giveaway promotions to drive traffic to another website or promote a product.

One thing Logos could consider is making a forum specifically for giving away products where the potential recipients were limited to "residents of poor countries", "missionaries", "seminarians", "prison chaplains" ...i.e. there are several possibilities for the restrictions. They could also allow the purchase of products specifically to go into the pool - an alternative to financial contributions. It would be a bear to figure out how to best set it up but would probably run smoothly thereafter.

Great idea.  I just think there are a lot of us that have unused resources with licenses that are easy to transfer that could benefit others.

Bill

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 5:50 PM

Todd Phillips:

That's my understanding of what the spirit of the rule is--unfortunately, the letter of the rule seems to prevent altruistic giveaways too.

Which is exactly why Bob just wanted us to self-police...I think that is how we should enforce the current guidelines. This was a violation of the letter of the law but not the spirit. When we get the company coming here to drive traffic away from Logos, we police. When it is Bill Bougie at cost to himself giving away parts of his library to those who might need/benefit from it, no need to police. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 4:14 AM

Jacob Hantla:
That's my understanding of what the spirit of the rule is--unfortunately, the letter of the rule seems to prevent altruistic giveaways too.

Jacob, unfortunately, the distinction between letter and  spirit is strained here. It's plain that the language says "no sales advertisement" and even specifies "no give aways"...

It is what it is brother...until Logos decides differently, then we live in their house...right?

Robert Pavich

Posts 2908
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:48 AM

Jacob Hantla:
When it is Bill Bougie at cost to himself giving away parts of his library to those who might need/benefit from it, no need to police. 

I quite agree.  It is silly.  What is that ole saying, "If that is the law, then the law is an .... hmmm"  I can't remember.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:55 AM

Michael Childs:

Jacob Hantla:
When it is Bill Bougie at cost to himself giving away parts of his library to those who might need/benefit from it, no need to police. 

I quite agree.  It is silly.  What is that ole saying, "If that is the law, then the law is an .... hmmm"  I can't remember.

Personally I agree...if a rule/law is silly, we (as Christians) should be able to disregard it.. Surprise  (thinly veiled sarcasm alert)

Personally, I also think that some speed limits are dumb...but just try and use that as an excuse in traffic court... Embarrassed

Robert Pavich

Posts 33850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:32 PM

Robert Pavich:

Personally I agree...if a rule/law is silly, we (as Christians) should be able to disregard it.. Surprise  (thinly veiled sarcasm alert)

Personally, I also think that some speed limits are dumb...but just try and use that as an excuse in traffic court... Embarrassed

In a canon law course I was taught the difference between English and Italian law - and told to think of canon law in the Italian perspective. In English law, if you get caught going 90 in a 40 mile per hour zone, you accept the ticket and pay the find. In Italian law you get caught doing 140 in a 60 kilometer per hour zone, you explain to the officer that you were simply burning the carbon out of your engine or that its 4 a.m. and you need to get home before your wife wakes up or ... and most the time with a shrug of his shoulders, the officer walks away - no ticket, no fine.

So you see if more forum members were Catholic ...Stick out tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 3:13 AM

MJ. Smith:

In a canon law course I was taught the difference between English and Italian law - and told to think of canon law in the Italian perspective. In English law, if you get caught going 90 in a 40 mile per hour zone, you accept the ticket and pay the find. In Italian law you get caught doing 140 in a 60 kilometer per hour zone, you explain to the officer that you were simply burning the carbon out of your engine or that its 4 a.m. and you need to get home before your wife wakes up or ... and most the time with a shrug of his shoulders, the officer walks away - no ticket, no fine.

So you see if more forum members were Catholic ...Stick out tongue

Martha,

thank you for making me laugh! I really needed that! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 2908
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 7:09 PM

Good point.  However, I do think rules need to be enforced with a little common sense rather than in strict legalism.

You know what I mean - like the difference between Barney Fife and Andy's approach to the law.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1
GEORGE ADAMS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:38 PM

I am willing to pay a reasonable price as this is something that I really need. 

Posts 29932
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:45 PM

George - welcome to the forums!

FYI - this is a really old post. You might be better to use google to search for that package... Also, it would be in your best interest to remove your email address from the previous post. Spam bots scour the internet looking to prey on your inbox. If you subscribe to a thread, you will get a message anytime someone replies, which is a better idea... it also helps to maintain your privacy a bit.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS