Three Requests for Browsing/Searching the Free "Classics" Resources

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1090
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:17 AM

With 3,187 free classic resources (at the present time), I'm finding the current methods of locating resources of interest lacking and would like to see one or more of the following search/navigation options added.

1. Provide a "Search" window that limits the search results to the free classic resources.  The current search doesn't do that.
  2. In the option to select authors, increase the number of authors available for selection.
  3. Even when setting the number of resources displayed to the max of 60, that still results in 54 pages (at the present time) to page through one by one, using the left and right arrow icons.  Please allow for entry of a page number.  In some cases, this will help navigate quickly to the approximate page where a resource of interest is likely to be displayed, and from which point, the left and right arrows can then again be used to navigate.
Posts 12172
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:39 AM

I agree with all your suggestions if ebooks.faithlife.com is going to work well. Here are some workarounds (on Logos.com) that may help in the meantime.

Rick Ausdahl:
Provide a "Search" window that limits the search results to the free classic resources.  The current search doesn't do that.

At Logos.com (not at Faithlife eBooks), you can do a search, then filter to just show the free books. The filter is in the lefthand column, under the heading "Product Type".

Rick Ausdahl:
In the option to select authors, increase the number of authors available for selection.

Again, Logos.com offers more options here.

Rick Ausdahl:
Even when setting the number of resources displayed to the max of 60, that still results in 54 pages (at the present time) to page through one by one, using the left and right arrow icons.  Please allow for entry of a page number.  In some cases, this will help navigate quickly to the approximate page where a resource of interest is likely to be displayed, and from which point, the left and right arrows can then again be used to navigate.

Adding &unlocked=no to the end of your search string will remove books you already own. That is likely to reduce the 54 pages substantially.

Posts 1090
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 3:29 PM

Mark Barnes:

I agree with all your suggestions if ebooks.faithlife.com is going to work well. Here are some workarounds (on Logos.com) that may help in the meantime.

Rick Ausdahl:
Provide a "Search" window that limits the search results to the free classic resources.  The current search doesn't do that.

At Logos.com (not at Faithlife eBooks), you can do a search, then filter to just show the free books. The filter is in the lefthand column, under the heading "Product Type".

Rick Ausdahl:
In the option to select authors, increase the number of authors available for selection.

Again, Logos.com offers more options here.

Rick Ausdahl:
Even when setting the number of resources displayed to the max of 60, that still results in 54 pages (at the present time) to page through one by one, using the left and right arrow icons.  Please allow for entry of a page number.  In some cases, this will help navigate quickly to the approximate page where a resource of interest is likely to be displayed, and from which point, the left and right arrows can then again be used to navigate.

Adding &unlocked=no to the end of your search string will remove books you already own. That is likely to reduce the 54 pages substantially.

Thank you for the suggestions, Mark!

With the change from Logos Now to Faithlife Connect, I was under the impression that the only open door to the free resources was via the Faithlife Connect web pages and I was struggling there.  It seems the Faithlife Connect Doorway to the Classics isn't quite ready for prime time, but the Logos.com route is a good work-around.

Thanks again!!!

Posts 239
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 2:51 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mark, I'm not quite understanding how you do this on Logos.com. After selecting "Faithlife Ebooks Classics" from the right-hand side, I put in "&unlocked=no" in the search box. There was only one (irrelevant) result.

Also, I thought that once a parameter has been selected and shows at the top (e.g., "Faithlife Ebooks Classics"), that if I select another parameter from the side that the previous parameter will be maintained. However, when I select "Commentaries" from the left, which should give me 782 resources, the new page takes away the ebooks parameter and gives me over 4,000 resources.

Posts 12172
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 3:10 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
Mark, I'm not quite understanding how you do this on Logos.com. After selecting "Faithlife Ebooks Classics" from the right-hand side, I put in "&unlocked=no" in the search box. There was only one (irrelevant) result.

You don't type it in the search box. You add it to the URL. 

So the URL changes from https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Faithlife+Ebooks+Classics to https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Faithlife+Ebooks+Classics&unlocked=no

Jordan Litchfield:
Also, I thought that once a parameter has been selected and shows at the top (e.g., "Faithlife Ebooks Classics"), that if I select another parameter from the side that the previous parameter will be maintained. However, when I select "Commentaries" from the left, which should give me 782 resources, the new page takes away the ebooks parameter and gives me over 4,000 resources.

This is only true if subsequent parameters are in a different category from the first parameter. In this case, "Faithlife eBooks Classics" is a Resource Type, so "Commentaries" (which is also a Resource Type) will replace it.

I would use "Free titles for Now members" under "Product Type" instead. It's virtually the same list, and it means you can further filter by commentaries if you wish.

Posts 239
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 3:17 AM

Okay, thanks. That all makes sense now.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS