LXX version searchable for grammatical constructions?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 49
Chas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 5 2018 4:04 AM

On a Greek text of the LXX, I'd like to use this search string {Section <GramCon GenAbs>}.

I can't seem to find an LXX version that is searchable for grammatical constructions. Am I overlooking something?

Thank you.

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 6:04 AM

Genitive Absolute is a part of the Greek Grammatical Constructions dataset, not the Hebrew Grammatical Constructions dataset. Take a look at the documentation resources for details.

Greek Grammatical Constructions: Dataset Documentation

Hebrew Grammatical Constructions: Dataset Documentation

Note however that the hyperlinked searches in the Hebrew documentation will not work if you click on them. I'll report a bug for that. Copying and pasting the searches should work just fine though.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 49
Chas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 6:19 AM

Thanks, Andrew. I had been hoping that one of the LXX versions had been tagged for Greek grammatical constructions. From what I read on the documentation for the Greek grammatical construction dataset, only NT texts are included.

Do you know if there are plans to add LXX to the texts covered by Greek grammatical construction dataset?

Posts 19594
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 6:29 AM

Chas:
I can't seem to find an LXX version that is searchable for grammatical constructions. Am I overlooking something?

Replicated Greek LXX lacking Grammatical Construction sections. After {Section <GramCon GenAbs>} search only had New Testament results, tried Granville Sharp search of Greek Bibles, which includes LXX:

{Section <GramCon GSharp>} 

that likewise found results in the New Testament so did a Morph Search for Granville Sharp candidates (like John 8:50):

<LogosMorphGr ~ D???> BEFORE 1 WORD <LogosMorphGr ~ N????> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/καί> BEFORE 1 WORD <LogosMorphGr ~ N????>

whose results included Gen 31:40 and Exod 3:8 => Granville Sharp agreement of case and number for the nouns and article:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 7:50 AM

Chas:

Thanks, Andrew. I had been hoping that one of the LXX versions had been tagged for Greek grammatical constructions. From what I read on the documentation for the Greek grammatical construction dataset, only NT texts are included.

Do you know if there are plans to add LXX to the texts covered by Greek grammatical construction dataset?

Now I feel silly for not having thought through that. Of course, it would make sense for LXX to support the Greek dataset rather than the Hebrew one. Given how the datasets work, I'm not sure what can be done about that, but I'll pass it along to the appropriate people.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 8:51 AM

Chas:

To date, the Grammatical construction tagging has focused on the New Testament.

We do have data available for prepositional phrases in the deuterocanon/apocrypha of the LXX, but I don't believe its display has been fully supported as of yet.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 19594
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 9:03 AM

Chas:

+1 Yes dreaming of entire Greek LXX having Greek Construction sections.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 49
Chas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 4:11 AM

Thanks, guys, for your replies. For now, I'm happy that I can do morph searches on the LXX text, and I'll look forward to the day that the LXX can be  searched for grammatical constructions. I'm sure tagging the LXX is a much bigger job than tagging the NT. At any rate, I can probably define some constructions using the terms available for morph searches.

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 1:33 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Note however that the hyperlinked searches in the Hebrew documentation will not work if you click on them. I'll report a bug for that. Copying and pasting the searches should work just fine though.

I think this is still an issue. When I click the link, a bible search in "All Bibles" comes up and it's empty. Interestingly, if I then click the "All Bibles" link in the search and explicitly select "All Bibles", I do get many results, yet not in all the Bibles that ought to return results. (The list is truncated after going through about the fifth qualifying Bible. The list of results when displaying "verses" is similarly truncated to varying degrees if I choose my "Greek Bibles" collection.)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS