Advice on non-Western commenteries

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 32
elliott siu | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 5 2018 10:21 AM

Hey everyone. Our young adult (20's and 30's) group is interested in studying a book of the Bible comparing commentaries written from different cultural backgrounds. Our goal is to see how the cultural context shapes the emphasis and application of reading Scripture. We want to see what we are missing by always approaching things from a Western perspective.

I'm looking for advice on commentaries written from non-White, non-Western perspectives (from Africa, Asia, Middle East, Etc). I'm hoping to take one Western commentary (which I have plenty of) and two others for this study. Which others should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 10:41 AM

Its just a one volume commentary, but it is written by Africans for Africans.  https://www.logos.com/product/5427/africa-bible-commentary

Posts 32
elliott siu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 10:49 AM

Thanks Paul, I'll take a look.

Posts 469
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 11:03 AM

elliott siu:
I'm looking for advice on commentaries written from non-White, non-Western perspectives (from Africa, Asia, Middle East, Etc). I'm hoping to take one Western commentary (which I have plenty of) and two others for this study. Which others should I be looking at?

There is a multi-volume series available with the same title: Africa Bible Commentary, but it currently only covers Galatians and the Pastorals. Zondervan has published a hard copy on Romans, as well.

M.J. commented on an earlier post about an Asia Bible Commentary series and the Dalit Bible Commentary series, though no copies are currently available through Logos. 

M.J. Smith:
The Commentaries are:

1. Ezra-Nehememiah by Dr. Joseph Shao & Rosa Chung Shao (RM35.90)
  2. Song of Songs by Dr. Andrew Hwang & Rev. Samuel Goh (RM35.90)
  3. Daniel by Dr. Tim Meadowcroft & Rev. Nate Irwin (RM35.90)
  4. Hosea by Dr. Salim Munayer (RM35.90)
  5. Gospel According to John by Dr. Jey Kanagaraj & Rev. Ian Kemp (RM35.90)
  6. Acts by Dr. Robert Shade & Bruce J. Nicholls (RM35.90)
  7. Ephesians by Dr. Brian Wintle & Dr. Ken Gnanakan (RM35.90)
  8. Colossians & Philememon by Dr. Bruce J. Nicholls & Dr. Brian Wintle (RM35.90)
  9. 1 Timothy by Dr. Paul Trebilco & Dr. Simon Rae (RM35.90)
  10. 2 Timothy and Titus by Dr. Paul Trebilco, Dr. Chris Carradus & Dr. Simon Rae (RM35.90)
  11. 1 Peter by Dr. Greg Forbes & Dr. Jason Lim (RM35.90)
  12. Gospel According to Mark by Dr. Kim Huat Tan (RM39.90)
  13. Job by Dr. Mona P. Bias & Dr Larry J. Waters (RM39.90)

and the Dalit Bible Commentary series.

The Dalit Bible Commentary is published by the Centre for Dalit/Subaltern Studies under the editorship of the late James Massey, though I do not know where you could purchase hardcopies of these. These would be excellent candidates for Logos!

James Massey, general editor; T.K. John SJ, editor and introduction. (2010) One volume Dalit Bible Commentary: New Testament.

James Massey, editor; T.K. John SJ, introduction. (2015) One volume Dalit Bible Commentary: Old Testament. 

A one volume South Asia Bible Commentary is available on Amazon.

Other non-western commentaries are listed on a Covenant Seminary page

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 11:42 AM

Nick Steffen:
M.J. commented on an earlier post about an Asia Bible Commentary series and the Dalit Bible Commentary series, though no copies are currently available through Logos. 

Wow! These would be an awesome addition.  Reading the preface of an ABC title, it makes the comment of the vastly expanding number of Asian believers.  The numbers are shifting globally and non-western commentary and contextual biblical studies would be a great addition to Logos for the benefit of the global church, especially as their multi-language offerings seem to be growing.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 6418
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 3:31 PM

Paul:

Its just a one volume commentary, but it is written by Africans for Africans.  https://www.logos.com/product/5427/africa-bible-commentary

I really like this one. It gives interesting perspectives that we don’t think about as westerners 👍😁👌

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 4:35 PM

There is also the 1-volume Global Bible Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2004) which has different people from different parts of the world contributing to each book of the Bible. It gets two 5-star reviews from RBL. Not available in Logos, but it is in Kindle. Here's a sampling of the Table of Contents:

There's also True to Our Native Land: An African American New Testament Commentary. Only available in hardcover.

Posts 469
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 9:27 PM

There is also a one volume International Bible Commentary (Liturgical Press: 1998) available in print. 

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 2:06 PM

There's also the one-volume South Asia Bible Commentary, written and edited by South Asian Biblical scholars on all the books of the Bible. Available in print and Kindle.

Big names behind this one: Chris Wright, Ajith Fernando, and Langham Partnership. Scot McKnight gives it a blurb.

Posts 421
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 8:39 PM

Rosie Perera:

There's also the one-volume South Asia Bible Commentary, written and edited by South Asian Biblical scholars on all the books of the Bible. Available in print and Kindle.

Big names behind this one: Chris Wright, Ajith Fernando, and Langham Partnership. Scot McKnight gives it a blurb.

Hope to see this commentary in Logos format... I live in Asia and encounter quite some people from South Asia region.

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 9:08 PM

Off topic, but nonetheless important: it's great to see you again, Rosie!

Posts 6418
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 2:06 PM

Steve Maling:

👍😁👌 Ditto!

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 3:59 PM

Steve Maling:

I think it's only because I'm getting fed up with Facebook, so I needed some other way to procrastinate...

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 4:45 PM

The recommendations already posted are excellent.

Here's a thought: a Messianic Jewish viewpoint (I'm sticking a label on it for simplicity's sake).

A Messianic Commentary Series available on Logos, although more titles in the series are yet to be released in digital form.

Not in that series, and not available digitally yet (if only!) are titles like A Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Galatians and A Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Acts.

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 11:24 PM

There's also the India Commentary on the New Testament, which so far has only 3 volumes: Acts of the Apostles, 1 Corinthians, and the Pastoral Epistles. Available in paperback only, except the last one which is also available in Kindle format.

There's a planned series from Urban Loft Publishers called the Polis Bible Commentary Series which aims to contextualize the Bible for urban ministry (polis is the Greek word for city). Unfortunately it looks like none of the volumes are out yet.

http://a.co/cZf5iml

Posts 1257
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 12:38 PM

Rosie Perera:

There is also the 1-volume Global Bible Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2004) which has different people from different parts of the world contributing to each book of the Bible. It gets two 5-star reviews from RBL. Not available in Logos, but it is in Kindle. 

FYI: https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/167775/global-bible-commentary 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 1:23 PM

HJ. van der Wal:

Rosie Perera:

There is also the 1-volume Global Bible Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2004) which has different people from different parts of the world contributing to each book of the Bible. It gets two 5-star reviews from RBL. Not available in Logos, but it is in Kindle. 

FYI: https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/167775/global-bible-commentary 

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Bible-Commentary-Daniel-Patte-ebook/dp/B01C9DN0YS 

I get so exhausted with Logos. How long is the commentary? Who knows. Sample pages are repeated recommendeds.

Unfortunately, if you go to amazon, things go from so-so to worse (reviews). 

But thank you, HJ ... I would have missed it. The FL sale does get it into Kindle territory.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 2:01 PM

Rosie Perera:
There's also the India Commentary on the New Testament, which so far has only 3 volumes: Acts of the Apostles, 1 Corinthians, and the Pastoral Epistles. Available in paperback only, except the last one which is also available in Kindle format.

Available in Kindle here https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=India+Commentary+on+the+New+Testament

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS