Attribute(s) of God - Filter possible?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 133
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 7 2018 5:11 AM

Is it possible to make a filter to highlight the attributes of God?

If not a filter, is there any other method?

Mike

Posts 164
Pieter J Kotze | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 10:30 AM

OMykeO:
attributes of God

Depending on your resources you can maybe use Louw & Nida

<LouwNida ~ LN 25.1–25.296> WITHIN 1 WORDS "of God"

Posts 17216
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 1:15 PM

A search idea to find many attributes of God is:

(<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (<Sense = to be (quality)> ANDEQUALS (am,"I am",is,was,"will be"))

Search could be refined for visual filter highlighting. Personally pondering inductive expansion to include more Attributes of God => more inductive symbols

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23388
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 2:53 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

A search idea to find many attributes of God is:

(<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (<Sense = to be (quality)> ANDEQUALS (am,"I am",is,was,"will be"))

That seems unnecessarily restrictive. (<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD  (am,"I am",is,was,"will be") provides more examples. As the LEB includes more inserted words like "am", the ESV could be the better bible to filter. Curiously, the ESV is more expansive in the Psalms e.g. LEB omits Ps 23:1; 33:20; 34:8.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 8 2018 2:27 PM

Thanks for some ideas! 

I tried the below and it is getting closer to what I was thinking.  Need some help on the OT portion.

{Section <Sentence = Declarative>} AND ((<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (am,"I am",is,was,"will be")) AND <LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318>

Posts 23388
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 8 2018 4:28 PM

The AND's work OK because the text of <Sentence = Declarative> covers most of the

This is more accurate wrt. the placement of LN words:

(<LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318> WITHIN {Section <Sentence = Declarative>}) AND ((<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (am,"I am",is,was,"will be"))

But you would have to look to Hebrew Syntax Search for similar attributes in the OT.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 8 2018 5:18 PM

Thanks!

How do you (did you) learn the proper placement  or order?

Wondering about this "Hebrew Syntax search" you mentioned.

Mike

Posts 23388
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:17 AM

OMykeO:
Wondering about this "Hebrew Syntax search" you mentioned.

In Syntax Search there is one for the OT only, but it lacks the <Person> search to identify pronouns, etc. so I would stick with your Bible search.

OMykeO:
How do you (did you) learn the proper placement  or order?

The word that the LN number identifies must be within a body of text such as your Sentence type; hence (<LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318> WITHIN {Section <Sentence = Declarative>}) whilst AND allows it to be outside that Sentence.

The remaining AND is not optimal but it allows a simpler query expression. If you want a complete proximity expression then try 

((<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (am,"I am",is,was,"will be") BEFORE <LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318>) WITHIN {Section <Sentence = Declarative>}

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:48 AM

Thanks for your insight!

Mike

Posts 164
Pieter J Kotze | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2018 1:06 PM

OMykeO:
If not a filter, is there any other method?

1. Do a Topic Search for "Attributes of God"
  2. Open a Research on that Topic
  3. Decide if you want only to search Attribute or sub-topics (communicable or uncommunicable) in the future. Select the complete Topic or Sub-Topic with all References
  4. Right-Click and make sure to Select "Selection"
  5. Click Save As Passage List
  6. Goto your default Bible
  7. Click Visual Filters Icon
  8. Type Attributes in the Find box
  9. Turn the Passage List on (make sure all other Passage Lists is deselected
  10. Create a Highlighter as below: Where I got "Cummunicable", name it according to what sub-topic or topic you selected to create the Passage List

1. Go Back to the Bible
  2. Select all Passages that are filtered because of the Filter that's turned on
  3. Click on the Highlighter you just created
  4. Turn off the Passage list in the Bible via the Visual filters button
  5. goto a verse that contains an Attribute of God
  6. Right-Click
  7. Scroll down until you find "Attribute of God" Label in the popupmenu
  8. Do an Inline Search
  9. Copy the Query and use it in Visual Filter
  1. This will highlight instances of Attributes of God as used in the Topic, not only the words like a language search would do.
  2. This also give the advantage of Right-Click to filter Inline
  3. If the Attributes Topic in the Resource you created the Passage List from is also Labeled with the Label you created you get some other advantage for searches in the future.

Posts 23388
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:29 PM

Dave Hooton:
((<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (am,"I am",is,was,"will be") BEFORE <LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318>) WITHIN {Section <Sentence = Declarative>}

The search for Declarative Sentences takes a long time without significant benefit to the query (2 verses different), and the order of evaluation of the expression needs to be more explicit, so try  ((<Person God>,<Person Jesus>, <Person Holy Spirit>) WITHIN 1 WORD (am,"I am",is,"will be")) BEFORE 2 WORDS <LouwNida ~ LN 88.1–88.318>, which also restricts the the LN term to be within 2 words.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2018 1:11 PM

Thanks for your responses.  I was about to ask the question, I guess again, and saw your responses.  Will give them a try!

Mike

Posts 251
LMAM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2018 8:41 AM

Swanson, James, and Orville Nave. New Nave’s Topical Bible. Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, 1994. Has an excellent section on the attributes of God. However, it will take a brighter mind than mine to create a visual filter for a list of references. I can't seem to make it work :-S

Posts 43
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2018 9:19 AM

I tried the various search methods for vastly different results:

Factbook - 5 verses

Topic Guide - 12 verses

Dave Hooton's search - 15 verses (all NT)

Keep Smiling's search - 161 verses

It is frustrating in that I would have thought that the Factbook and Topic Guide would have had the most information but it seems they have the least. Any insight would be helpful, especially as I have yet to find the Factbook useful.

Bill

Posts 23388
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2018 5:30 PM

Factbook and Topic Guide verses are curated, but the dictionaries they reference provide useful information.

Any search for a topic like this will be an approximation, so take the one that appears most useful.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS