Apple or Android Reader?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1126
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 11 2018 5:59 AM

Ok, so my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 died.. 

So I am looking for tablet for Logos

Because of having a MacBook Pro I am thinking of getting an iPad mini 4 128gb, but only has 2gb ram. 

https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-4/

Or  

If Android I really like the Huawei Mediapad M3 with 64gb flash and 4gb ram, it will also use my SD card so I would have 128gb storage also. 

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-MediaPad-Marshmallow-Moonlight-Warranty/dp/B01M310GVP/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523451436&sr=1-1&keywords=huawei%2Bmediapad%2Bm5&th=1

Note also Huawei Mediapad M5 is coming out soon, but it is unknown when it will be sold in the USA. 

I will be going back to the mission field in a few months.

How is the Apple iPad mini 4 as a reader for Logos?

What do you think I should get iPad or one of the Huawei Mediapad's ?

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 2877
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:28 AM

I am an Android fan. I own a Galaxy Note 8 and have had almost every generation of Samsung phone for about 4-5 years. I also have a Pixelbook as my Android tablet. That's a bit expensive, so I wouldn't get that unless you just want something really high end.

All that said, If I'm getting a tablet for Logos, I'd go with the iPad mini or the newest 10-inch iPad that costs even less than the mini. It's much faster and will let you use the Apple Pencil (doesn't do anything special in Logos, but is pretty cool for taking meeting notes or to use in presentations). The mini is a little old with hardware from a couple years ago. Apple hasn't updated it and now it's really over priced.

There isn't a better Android alternative. However, if you really love Android seriously consider the new HP Chromebook tablet that's coming out this month for about $500. It will run Android apps but can also work as a Chromebook with a keyboard hooked up to it. If I had to buy an Android tablet that's likely what I'd get right now. I would not buy another Samsung tablet or any of the other cheaper alternatives. Android as a tablet is the red headed step child of Google. It works, but most apps don't look great on even high end displays. And most Android apps that also have iOS version are a little behind in development than iOS.

Just so you know, I've used a lot of Android tablets. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Note 10, Pixel C, Nexus 7 every generation (that was the last great Android tablet). I used to do this for a living and reviewed almost every major Android tablet or at least had a chance to use them. BTW the Huawei devices are not bad, but their software they install on top of Android is terrible. If you do get that one, make sure to install a different launcher.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:36 AM

Lee:
Because of having a MacBook Pro I am thinking of getting an iPad mini 4 128gb, but only has 2gb ram. 

Don't worry about RAM on iOS, especially on a Mini. It's memory management is excellent, and 2Gb is plenty.

Lee:
How is the Apple iPad mini 4 as a reader for Logos?

I nearly bought a Mini 4 a few week ago, but settled on a refurbished 9.7" iPad instead (the model prior to the new one that was released a few weeks ago). The Mini 4 is very over-priced and a little under-specced IMO. I only paid the equivalent of $239.

I don't regret my purchase. The iPad is light, and Logos works brilliantly. I'm glad of the extra screen estate, and the slimmish bezels means it's not much bulkier or heavier than my Kindle Paperwhite.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2018 11:39 AM

I love my iPad 9.7 too...

-dan

Posts 1126
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 7:17 AM

Thanks everyone 

I went ahead with the mini 4 mainly because of the size over the 9.7 I just wanted something a little smaller, it is coming tomorrow 

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 8653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 9:05 AM

I bought my iPad 4 Retina display in 2012 and it still looks brand new.  New Logos mobile app looks great in it. I used to like Android and once I tried apple I haven’t looked back since then. With Android the “you get what you pay for” applies big time. I have a coworker who refused Apple at all cost but about a couple of months back he finally converted to apple.   Now all cell phones and tablets for his whole family are apple.  Battery life and smooth reading and quality changed his life, he says. Go Apple 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 9:18 AM

Lee:

Thanks everyone 

I went ahead with the mini 4 mainly because of the size over the 9.7 I just wanted something a little smaller, it is coming tomorrow 

Oops! You already bought. Great choice! You won’t regret it 👍😁👌

Posts 3
Charlene Fountain | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 1:30 PM

I would appreciate your input in that I need to get something for Logos while at church or away from my WiFi. I live in a rural area, and there is not a dependable signal at church. 

I had an IPAD approx 8 yrs ago, but unless I had wifi or other service, I could not use it with Logos. For that reason, I have been using a laptop, and I would still have access to all Logos info by working off line.

I am not certain my post makes a lot of sense but maybe so.  I would appreciate any feedback because I am considering another laptop.  But, Logos is the only reason I may buy another laptop.

Posts 25491
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 1:35 PM

Hi Charlene

a lot depends on the functionality you need - both when online and when not. There are things you can do in Logos on the laptop that the mobile apps dont support so its worth being clear what you want to be able to do on this device.

In terms of offline functionality on the iPad - assuming you have downloaded the resources you need, you can read them, search them (though it doesn’t work as well as when online), make notes and highlights, do word lookups (limited).

What functionality will you need when offline?

Graham

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 2:32 PM

Charlene Fountain:
I am not certain my post makes a lot of sense but maybe so.  I would appreciate any feedback because I am considering another laptop.  But, Logos is the only reason I may buy another laptop.

Graham answered well, but to tackle this from a different angle: 

Do you currently have any good devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android)?

Not only for Logos, but for all other purposes: If I could have only ONE device, it would be a good laptop (MacBook). If I could have two devices, I would add an iPhone. If I could have three devices, I would add an iPad. 

• A good laptop is much more powerful and useful... and it is portable. For Logos purposes, it runs the full thing and can be run "offline" with (mostly) full functionality. 
  • A good smart phone will provide you with access to nearly all of your library most of the time... but isn't ideal for long duration reading. I have read a few books entirely on my iPhone... but they were of a nature conducive to short reading sessions (i.e. devotionals). 
  • An iPad is much better than either device for reading long term and highlighting / taking simple notes. 

A few other thoughts: If portability isn't necessary for you on your computer, then you can get more "bang for the buck" with a desktop. You can get a similarly equipped desktop (and one that can be more easily upgraded) for probably half the price. With the savings, you could purchase an iPad. 

Lastly, the BEST device for reading (but not taking notes) is a Kindle Paperwhite (or other eInk device). You will have to manually send Logos books to that device, however. It isn't difficult, but it isn't easy either. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19484
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 9:09 PM

Charlene Fountain:

I would appreciate your input in that I need to get something for Logos while at church or away from my WiFi. I live in a rural area, and there is not a dependable signal at church. 

I had an IPAD approx 8 yrs ago, but unless I had wifi or other service, I could not use it with Logos. For that reason, I have been using a laptop, and I would still have access to all Logos info by working off line.

Thankful for Logos and Verbum applications being usable offline (on a 2013 MacBook Air with WiFi turned off).

FYI: personally surprised by number of WiFi signals in a small city of 4,000 in a rural area.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2584
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 11:01 AM

Charlene Fountain:

Have you considered the new Surface Pro with LTE? Full logos experience, possible to use in tablet mode when teaching, LTE for connectivity when not near wifi. I have wondered for the longest time why Microsoft Surface has not added the LTE chip to prove dominance over the iPad Pro. Microsoft finally got their act together. For LTE to work you need to consult with your cellular provider because  GSM and CDMA are very different technologies.

As an alternative, our church has excellent wireless - but too many users causes a drain on the system on Sundays.  I use my iPhone as a wireless hotspot and connect my Surface Pro to my personal hotspot network during Sunday service.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS