Is there a risk to us from the spam?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 83
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:01 PM

Is there any risk from these spam post to users of the forum?  

Although I am intrigued by the opportunity to buy a “round rocker  switch with neon light,” is there any further risks to users on these forums from these post?

What is the nefarious purposes of these post?  Does not seem that benign child’s play would explain the effort it takes  for the spammers  to make these posts. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:12 PM

Rick Carmickle:
What is the nefarious purposes of these post?  Does not seem that benign child’s play would explain the effort it takes  for the spammers  to make these posts

It's possible that the sites linked to might be malicious. But if you don't visit the site, you're safe.

But most spam is created with (semi-)automatic tools, so it's not much effort for the spammer. Anti-spam software on the forum limits the damage they can do. Without it, we'd probably be seeing hundreds of spam posts every hour.

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:16 PM

Well, given the FL controls newly implemented, makes you wonder about a back-door. Which would suggest, don't select the post. But that'd be very (very) unlikely.

Most likely, someone is trying to increase search results for parts, from postings, hoping people will be curious, and click to the web site.  Maybe even some pennies for clicks.

Or the target web site has mal-code, and that's the goal. I havn't googled the target web page(s) to see if google looked at the code.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:20 PM

Denise:
Well, given the FL controls newly implemented, makes you wonder about a back-door.

There's no back door. It's impossible to eliminate spam entirely. The new controls limit it, and they're working (we've barely had any spam since).

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 4:26 PM

I agree no backdoor, though neither of us know that.

But 5 from the same poster very quickly?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 5:35 PM

Mark Barnes:
It's impossible to eliminate spam entirely.

Your statement is only true on this site Mark, due to the chosen priorities of FL. Other forum sites have eliminated it.

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 8:20 PM

I understand it's pretty high in saturated fat, so I wouldn't recommend eating it more than once or twice a week. More than that is certainly a risk.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 233
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 10:59 PM

Don Awalt:

Mark Barnes:
It's impossible to eliminate spam entirely.

Your statement is only true on this site Mark, due to the chosen priorities of FL. Other forum sites have eliminated it.

I visit quite a few forums and have yet to find one that has completely eliminated spam.  Forums that have high traffic are going to experience some spam regardless of the safeguards that are in place.

In Christ,

Charles 

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 11:30 AM

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 12:15 PM

Don Awalt:
Check out https://forums.macrumors.com and see if you see any spam, even one, in any forum.

The following thread, from only a few months ago is asking the forum admins to make precisely the spam preventing measures that Logos implemented a few weeks ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/limit-amount-of-threads-new-members-can-create.2097229/ 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS