I thank the LORD for Logos because...

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 416
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2018 1:45 AM

Yesterday I discovered another new tool in my library that I did not know I even had. In God's providence, it was the perfect tool for the occasion and task I was working on. 

This got me reflecting on how grateful I am for Logos, and I thought surely others must feel the same. After a rocky couple of months on the Forum (cf. the FLC kerfuffle, etc.) I thought I'd post some of those points of thankfulness here and all space for others to do likewise. Here goes...

I am thankful to the LORD for Logos because... 

• Through it, I am blessed by digging deeper into the Bible, and through access to resources that I never knew existed until I started using Logos.
  • Through me, it blesses my church by making my prep time more efficient, which I turn helps me to produce better sermons and studies for their growth in the Lord
  • of the tools it places at my fingertips (propositional outlines, visual filters, passage guide, bible outline tool, morph search, lexicon links) - things that theologians and congregants even 30 years ago would never have even dreamed possible. 

Not an exhaustive list, so please feel free time chime in with your own. I look forward to praising God for the way he has used this incredible gift to the church to bless you. :-)

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 474
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 4:43 AM

Yes

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:01 AM

YesYes

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:53 AM

Yes

Posts 23
Dave Sloma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:07 AM

If you're old enough to have worked with nothing but books laid out on a desk, then you're really, really grateful!  I know I am.

Posts 174
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:12 AM

I would add - when I'm hearing someone preach and they make what I suspect is a dubious exegesis of a Greek word - I love being able to check it in Logos with BDAG and decide whether this preacher is worth his salt.

Similarly, I would argue being able to have my library portable (as a missionary, I'm often away from home - wherever home is), is invaluable.  I work everywhere these days, and I just can't afford to limit my work to when I'm in a certain geographical location.

Posts 8849
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:14 AM

LMAM:

I am thankful to the LORD for Logos because... 

• Through it, I am blessed by digging deeper into the Bible, and through access to resources that I never knew existed until I started using Logos.
  • Through me, it blesses my church by making my prep time more efficient, which I turn helps me to produce better sermons and studies for their growth in the Lord
  • of the tools it places at my fingertips (propositional outlines, visual filters, passage guide, bible outline tool, morph search, lexicon links) - things that theologians and congregants even 30 years ago would never have even dreamed possible. 

Not an exhaustive list, so please feel free time chime in with your own.

I appreciate threads like this that remind us of how blessed we are to have a tool like Logos. Here are a few more specific things that causes me to give thanks.

• I appreciate the amazing original language tools that help me keep learning
  • I love that I can start reading a resource on my laptop, and then use my phone or iPad to continue on at the same place.
  • I appreciate the forums that encourage me to learn/relearn something new every day
  • and much more!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:25 AM

Dave Sloma:

If you're old enough to have worked with nothing but books laid out on a desk, then you're really, really grateful!  I know I am.

Count me in that category!  Logos has been an amazing blessing to me for some 25 years now!  This is my 43 year as a pastor, and it is simply amazing the difference that Logos has made in my ministry.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 406
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:28 AM

Yes

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:31 AM

Dave Sloma:

not enough space on the desk I use to pile them all over the bed as I sat on the corner referencing back and forth. Although I would bet some people had/have desks with as much space as a double bed.  

-dan

Posts 82
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 10:20 AM

Michael Childs:

Dave Sloma:

Count me in that category!  Logos has been an amazing blessing to me for some 25 years now!  This is my 43 year as a pastor, and it is simply amazing the difference that Logos has made in my ministry.

I still have many commentaries and dictionaries in book format, that are just too costly at the present to replace in digital format. But I actually like grabbing a book out and studying through it. Granted, I would not want to do it all the time, as Logos makes it so much more efficient.

• I am thankful for the amount of information I can get in a short amount of time on most any subject in the Bible.
  • I am thankful for the reading plans which help me to read several books at one time without getting mixed up on where I am at in each book.
  • I am thankful for the mobile ed courses that help me to delve deeper into many subjects.
  • I am thankful for the Logos team that keep expanding and updating this great software.
  • many more things I could put, but I'll let someone else take it from here...
Posts 148
Rob Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 10:48 AM

exactly.... 

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 10:52 AM

Logos is an answer to a very specific prayer of mine. I had been reading the Bible as a daily discipline for over 50 years. I committed in prayer that I would continue to read the Bible daily but asked God if He would provide the kind of delight I read about in Psalm 119.

His answer to that prayer was Logos. Now it is a joy to read and study God's word, to teach it and to preach it. Bible study is not a discipline, it is a recreational activity, a hobby almost.

Thank you Father for Logos Bible Software.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 79
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 10:59 AM

In the early 90's I was in seminary and wondering how I would ever have a library in Africa to help me with translating the Bible.

Fast forward to in the early 2000's when I began translating the Bible into the Bilala language I had Word Biblical Commentary and the Expositor's Biblical Commentary among various others all on my laptop.

I know others before me did translation without the resources that Logos makes easily accessible.  All I know is that I am grateful that I didn't have to.

And now I am so glad they have made Logos available on the web and on tablets (I probably use Logos more on my ipad than on my computer now that my job has changed.)

Posts 1938
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 12:42 PM

Thankful for too many things to list... not least of which is the fact that tools and resources are always being updated, effectively “future proofing” my digital library (and associated investment!). 

Posts 1004
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 3:30 PM

Yes

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 4:02 PM

I’m thankful for Logos because when I move I won’t have to pack, in boxes, over 10k books that in print they would be too heavy to carry and take too much space (e.g. IVP Black Dictionaries, sets of commentaries, etc.).

I’m also thankful that Logos makes my Bible studies and sermons easier to prep and provides several tools to help me keep on learning God’s Word. There’s so much to learn, but Logos is a great tool for this purpose and it definitely makes my life easier! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:05 PM

Dave Sloma:

Big Smile But I did have an IBM Electric II to go with all those books Stick out tongue

Yes, I am very, very, extremely grateful for Logos

Posts 1382
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 11:03 PM

I come from the engineering / missions background and one of my first goals was to see how technology can help in the Biblical studies. I feel I've learnt a lot in 10 years, for example Greek reading  is almost fluent. It does not come without work, but the Logos tools help a lot. A large library allows checking details, and a large library helps also when trying to get a wide view of some issue. I am very thankful!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 23
Eric Back | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 11:10 PM

I'm very grateful for Logos as I've been able to greatly reduce the number of paperbacks and hardcovers that have to be packed in future moves. Reading off a screen was a bit of a transition for me (as was the switch to progressive bifocals) but it's my preference now. The information available in a few clicks was a huge search formerly, with books scattered around the room on every flat service. 

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS