Did Erasmus von Rotterdam deliberately add εἰ to Matthew 19:9?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 4:33 AM

Thanks for your reply. Either way, the "except" clause does not provide a loophole for divorce and remarriage on grounds of adultery. If it did, the innocent woman and the man she marries would be free from the charge of adultery. Since she was divorced from an adulterous husband. But Jesus says they commit adultery too.

If we translate "Except" using "if". It means the husband who divorces "if for fornication" also  commits adultery when he remarries. Also along with his first wife and the man she marries.

Paul teaches death alone, breaks the marriage bond and nothing else.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 12:40 PM

Because of another thread which is verging on going off-course, I want to remind people here that we don't cross the line into telling people exactly what the Bible teaches (doctrine) - we simply show them the facts and how to use Logos to find those facts. That is not to say we must hide our beliefs, merely that we must show the same respect for the other 2 billion plus understandings that we wish to have shown for our own.

It is my estimate that approximately 99.9% of newish forum users have never found the forum guidelines. Here they are ... they are found at the upper right section of the initial forum page.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 3:02 PM

D. Instone-Brewer writes in ”Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, Second Edition” Page: 215

The clause in Matthew 19:9 could indicate either an exception or an exclusion. If it is an exclusion, it means “Anyone who divorced his wife, even for immorality [which is not a permissible ground for divorce], and . . .” If it is an exception, it means “Anyone who divorced his wife, except for immorality [which is a permissible ground for divorce], and . . .” Virtually all translations assume that it means the latter, because Matthew 5:32 is unambiguous: parektos indicates an exception.”

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 4:06 PM

Paul:
Nevertheless, I will stay with my tried and trusted King James Bible for this one.  This would proclaim the woman innocent. 

My apolog if it was covered above, but the trouble with Erasmus Greek text was the pressure put on him to make it conform to the vulgate translation even when he did not want to. It was argued by some the Latin was more faithful because it was older than this new Greek text designed to give a standard Greek text. 

-dan

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 6:07 AM

Since we are going against the rules of this board, I invite all who disagree with me on the Matthew 19:9 loophole for divorce and remarriage, to www.christiandiscourse.net. We could give it proper treatment there.

Posts 1497
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 2:00 PM

This is a must read for anyone studying Jesus' marriage/divorce passages.

https://www.logos.com/product/45813/divorce-and-remarriage-in-the-bible-the-social-and-literary-context

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 4:34 AM

https://lmf12.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/divorce_aug_2014.pdf This is a free indepth study by Leslie McFall covering all of the above in great detail. 

Posts 323
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 10:59 PM

Thanks for the link to Dr Leslie Mcfall's ebook. It would be nice if it was published. 

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS