Windows Update 1803 . . . Logos has gone blank!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 30 2018 7:55 PM

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer!

I installed the Spring Creators Windows 10 update (1803) on my HP Omen laptop, and upon restart, Logos has had all blank screens.  I can hover the mouse over the entire screen, see parsings appear, etc., but the base texts, all of the tab markings . . . everything is invisible.

Has anyone else run into this?  Any advice?

Blessings!

Steve

Posts 2662
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 9:24 PM

I have just installed the 1803 update on my Dell Precision M4800 laptop, and did not find any issues with Logos. Your issue may be isolated to your configuration.

Since this was a pretty big Windows update, I would wait some time before opening up applications. I'm not sure how fast your machine is, but I have seen your issue occur with applications (not specifically Logos) on slower machines.

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 5:48 AM

Thanks for your reply -- good to hear that it worked on your machine!  I think I have identified the unique feature of my setup that is causing the problem . . . an older Intel 4600 integrated graphics card.  No driver updates have been issued for a number of years now.  Thankfully, I have dual graphics driver capability, and when I loaded Logos using the higher performance NVIDIA processor, it worked.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use the integrated graphics, as that consumes less battery power.  My other programs still work with the Intel 4600.  But at least as far as Logos is concerned, the Windows 1803 update makes that graphics card obsolete.

Posts 2662
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 6:08 AM

Good that you have a workaround, but I wouldn't give up on the original integrated card just yet. Try it again in a day or so. If it still doesn't work, look for drivers in your spare time.

Posts 2662
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 6:12 AM

Oh, BTW: You know what this situation is telling you, right? Time to begin considering a new laptop. Smile

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 6:24 AM

The system serves well in so many respects, but yes, those drivers!!!

Posts 7456
LogosEmployee

If you're comfortable editing your registry, you might want to try setting the DisableHWAcceleration registry value to see if that fixes the WPF display problems on your Intel 4600 HD device: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wpf/graphics-multimedia/graphics-rendering-registry-settings#disablehardwareacceleration 

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 8:34 AM

I appreciate the suggestion, and that worked!  

Now, in disabling that, might you know what "price" ends up being paid?  Is it likely that there will be slowdowns in other areas?  Or should the impact elsewhere be minimal?

Again, thanks for your help!

Posts 7456
LogosEmployee

Steve:

Now, in disabling that, might you know what "price" ends up being paid?  Is it likely that there will be slowdowns in other areas?  Or should the impact elsewhere be minimal?

The slowdown (if any) will be in drawing the UI to the screen. We haven't measured it, but since Logos 7 isn't displaying complicated 3D graphics I would expect the impact to be minimal.

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 9:26 AM

Excellent . . . thanks to both of you for sharing your time.  The Logos community is a blessing!

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 5:12 AM

One more observation . . . for the Intel 4600 integrated graphics chip to work with Logos on startup, Hardware Acceleration has to be "off."  However, once Logos is launched, I can turn Hardware Acceleration back "on" and Logos continues to work.  Does this narrow the issue?

Posts 7456
LogosEmployee

I would guess that WPF (the Microsoft UI framework that Logos uses) reads the registry value at program startup and enables/disables hardware acceleration for the life of the program. Changing it while the program is running likely has no effect (on Logos).

Posts 7
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 11:56 AM

Makes sense -- thanks!

Posts 3
Anthony Crum | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 5:56 AM

Thank you for posting this. I have a Dell with a GeForce 1050 and Intel 4600 and have been banging my head trying to figure out this issue. 

One question, is this a stop-gap solution or are there plans to fix this in the future?

Last question, does Logos work better on a Mac? (maybe I can justify a new computer is that's the case). Wink

Posts 7456
LogosEmployee

Anthony Crum:
One question, is this a stop-gap solution or are there plans to fix this in the future?

We are not planning a specific fix for this issue because we assume it's likely to be caused by some sort of interaction between Intel 4600 HD drivers, WPF, and Windows 10. Intel or Microsoft may be planning their own fix.

Posts 23447
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 4:42 PM

Anthony Crum:
Last question, does Logos work better on a Mac? (maybe I can justify a new computer is that's the case)

Would you be comfortable working on a Mac?

I see many more problems (in the Logos forums) that are specific to Mac than problems specific to Windows. Display drivers can be issues on either system, and a new Windows computer would be my suggestion (the Intel 4600 is about 5 years old and has a history of issues with Windows 10 updates).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17239
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2018 5:53 AM

Anthony Crum:
Last question, does Logos work better on a Mac? (maybe I can justify a new computer is that's the case). Wink

Thankful for 99+% feature parity in Faithlife applications on Windows and Mac.

Last year shut down a Windows laptop for a move so have not missed Patch Tuesdays and other updates (also have not missed metro area rush hour traffic while enjoying sound of birds, ...). Currently using 27" iMac with 5K display running macOS 10.13.4

FYI: personally upgraded a 2011 MacBook Air (MBA) to macOS 10.12 Sierra instead of macOS 10.13 High Sierra since did not want to deal with display color calibration for Apple's Mail. Logos 7 and Verbum 7 work on 2011 MBA.

Thankful for Apple refurbished Mac models that have same warranty as new => https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 231
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 5:49 AM

Hi KS4J:

Lately when I start L7, it opens for some 20 to 30 seconds, then it quits.

I am using OS X Yosemite ver. 10.10.5.

Is there a new OS requirement?

Thanks for any info.

Posts 19833
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 6:07 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

I am using OS X Yosemite ver. 10.10.5.

Is there a new OS requirement?

Please see my reply in your other post at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169888/981023.aspx#981023 - and if there are still issues please start a new thread to not divert this one which is about Windows.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS