Best Commentaries Sale: Does Not Correspond to Bestcommentaries.com

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 194
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 1 2018 12:33 PM

Let me begin by stating that this sale is a really good thing. Anytime high-quality commentaries are offered at a 50% discount is great! Thank you, Faithlife, for making this happen.

At the same time, the sale is not precisely what it seems to claim it is. From the way it is presently worded and displayed, I take it to mean that the number rankings on the sale page correspond to the rankings on bestcommentaries.com. This is NOT the case.

For example, consider the rankings on the sales page for the NT book of Luke:

1. The New American Commentary: Luke (by Robert Stein)
  2. The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospel of Luke (by Joel Green)
  3. The Gospel of Luke: The New International Greek Testament Commentary (by I. Howard Marshall)
  4. Luke: An Introduction and Commentary (by Leon Morris)
  5. The Anchor Yale Bible: The Gospel according to Luke (two volumes by Joseph Fitzmyer)

Now consider the actual rankings from bestcommentaries.com (with Logos sales page books bolded):

1. Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: Luke (by Darrell Bock)
  2. The New American Commentary: Luke (by Robert Stein)
  3. The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospel of Luke (by Joel Green)
  4. The Gospel of Luke: The New International Greek Testament Commentary (by I. Howard Marshall)
  5. Luke: An Introduction and Commentary (by Leon Morris)
  6. The New International Version Application Commentary (by Darrell Bock)
  7. The Anchor Yale Bible: The Gospel according to Luke (two volumes by Joseph Fitzmyer)

As can be seen, the rankings from the Logos sales page do NOT correspond precisely to those on bestcommentaries.com. This is true for other biblical books as well. It would appear that Faithlife was unable to reach agreements with publishers over certain commentary series to include in the sale. Personally, I am not bothered at all by this reality. But, to give artificial rankings to the commentaries Faithlife was able to include in the sale seems a bit disingenuous when making reference to bestcommentaries.com so prominently.

In conclusion, these are great sales. Do not be misled, however, in thinking that the sales page ordering of commentaries is identical to bestcommentaries.com. Some of the "Highest Rated from Genesis to Revelation" are not included in this sale.

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 12:54 PM

Daniel this is nothing unexpected when it comes to Logos marketing - the lines have been blurred many times.

You have to read the fine print  - now only if they included the fine print so we could read it.

Posts 165
Nick Highland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 1:37 PM

I really appreciate this, Daniel.  I hope this will be corrected in some way, even if it is just to clarify the difference in rankings.

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 1:44 PM

The word "best" is so subjective. I'm not sure who compiled this list at Faithlife but certainly it is subjective too. That's okay with me and I'm thankful for the generous sale that is offered.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 2:21 PM

Having a site like Bestcommentaries.com rate commentaries is like have a site called bestbottledwater.com rate bottle water. You ask 100 people which is the best and you get a 100 different and rather pointless suggestions.

Cliff

Posts 369
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 2:26 PM

Bruce Dunning:
The word "best" is so subjective.

Funny, that's what I was going to say

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 6219
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 2:35 PM

James Chandler:

Bruce Dunning:
The word "best" is so subjective.

Funny, that's what I was going to say

Plain and simple summary!

Posts 490
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 2:58 PM

I would assume the best commentaries they can place on sale would also take into accounut what publishers are willing to particiapte as well - so maybe something that is considered "Best" may just not be available.  Just a guess.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 5:20 PM

Richard you are undoubtedly correct.

To satisfy the original question, FL can put an asterisk by their title.

*These are the top five commentaries from each list that we publish and are able to offer at this discount level.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 860
LogosEmployee

Mark Smith:

Richard you are undoubtedly correct.

To satisfy the original question, FL can put an asterisk by their title.

*These are the top five commentaries from each list that we publish and are able to offer at this discount level.

Good points all around. I'm going to have the team add a note to the page.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 35
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 2:52 PM

Yeah, actually on the other posts I have already made this following point:

The sale corresponds to Bestcommentaries, EXCEPT for any BECNT (or Baker OT) volumes (and Bock). Otherwise the list is pretty accurate. It seems that Baker is very reluctant to put their items on sale (as with March Madness).

Posts 146
LogosEmployee
Kaleb Cuevas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 3:14 PM

I have updated all the rankings to better reflect the ones on best commentaries. Please let me know if you notice any errors.

Posts 35
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 3:21 PM

Thank you Kaleb.

Posts 194
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 3:48 PM

Kaleb Cuevas:

I have updated all the rankings to better reflect the ones on best commentaries. Please let me know if you notice any errors.

Kaleb, thank you for taking the time to do this. As I said in my original post, a big thank you to Faithlife for having this great sale!

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 4:21 PM

Thanks, Kaleb. When I saw the sale, I immediately thought of (to my recollection) Bestcommentaries.com  

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 6:12 PM

Kaleb Cuevas:

Kaleb, thank you so much for doing that. It really does feel so much more accurate today.

In a few hours, I'll be blogging this sale, and you've saved me having to "explain" it.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 6:22 PM

Kaleb Cuevas:
I have updated all the rankings to better reflect the ones on best commentaries.

I think that only helps a bit. Now the question might be, where are the ones FL publishes and are missing?

I believe there should be a statement similar to the one I suggested earlier right at the top of the listing. That takes care of everything.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 7:39 PM

Well, all I have to say about all this is "Thanks Faithlife!  Great sale!"

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 877
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 10:11 PM

Michael Childs:

Well, all I have to say about all this is "Thanks Faithlife!  Great sale!"

Totally agree. This is the type of sale I've been waiting for, but couldn't even have dreamed of! 

I loved the Galatians commentary sale a few years ago. Plus there was a great one on Daniel & Revelation commentaries. I think both of those sales pretty much offered every commentary in those books at 50% off. But to get a sale of 5 or so "best" rated commentaries on every book of the Bible is amazing.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS