Please, how can I get Logos 6 back?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
a fitkin | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 3 2018 12:54 PM

Today I logged on to get the free monthly book. It kept pushing Logos 7 on me and wouldn't stop, as if I had no choice at this point. It said I needed 536 Mb of space. The computer said I had 2.56 Gb left. So I went ahead and did it. Now it just keeps saying it is trying to download and cannot because I have not enough memory. I can't get any further. I tried opening up the NKJV, that seemed to work a little bit, but instead of just NKJV I now have greek and Hebrew interlinear with the English, taking up a lot of screen space. That's something I might like to read OCCASIONALLY, but not all the time. I prefer JUST the English most of the time. Is there a way to get back to Logos 6? I tried deleting a few programs I do need. Every time I restart logos it says a new app is ready. If I say yes to start it, then I get some message about Microsoft Visual something Framework won't install. If I say know it seems to start to open, then says indexing will take too much memory, and I cannot seem to go any further. Please, is there a way I can get back to just having Logos 6? It worked. When I got it, I had a terrible time getting it to work. It took a couple of months, I think. So I didn't try Logos 7 for a long time because I was afraid the problems would be similar. It looks like I was right about that. 

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 1:30 PM

Hi - and welcome to the forums

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Im afraid with the amount of free space you say Logos won’t work properly. https://www.logos.com/system-requirements Suggests you need at least 30GB free.

It sounds as though you have installed Logos 7 but it is struggling to download and index files. Is there anyway you can clear up some more space?

And the problem you are seeing with the Greek and Hebrew interlinear isn’t a Logos 6 vs 7 issue. It sounds like you have the Inline interlinear enabled. This is one of the buttons at the top of the resource pane. Try switching that off

Graham

Posts 2
a fitkin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 1:46 PM

I have already deleted stuff I needed that I didn't value as much. The rest I need. Is there any way to get back to Logos 6, which worked? I'm really hoping I don't have to just uninstall Logos and forget the whole thing. I like it a lot. But... It's not my computer. I was allowed to install Logos and a couple other things and am allowed to use the computer for these. but I can't uninstall stuff that belongs to the relative who lets me use it. If it comes to that I probably will just have to uninstall Logos and I hate to do that. Logos 6 did work, at least.

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 1:52 PM

I’m afraid that having installed Logos 7 you would need to completely delete it and then reinstall Logos 6 - this is because Logos databases are upgraded during the Logos 7 upgrade and are not downwards compatible.

But the last I checked the Logos 6 download isn’t available anymore.

And with the amount of free space you have I expect there would be problems installing Logos 6 anyway.

You could try using the web app -at app.logos.com and see if that gives you what you need

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 2:07 PM

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

By your description, it does sound like we're coming across a couple of challenges. I'll outline some solutions/best practices for the trouble being encountered, as generally the transition from Logos 6 to 7 in terms of installation and setup should be fairly seamless.

a fitkin:

Today I logged on to get the free monthly book. It kept pushing Logos 7 on me and wouldn't stop, as if I had no choice at this point. It said I needed 536 Mb of space. The computer said I had 2.56 Gb left. So I went ahead and did it. Now it just keeps saying it is trying to download and cannot because I have not enough memory. I can't get any further.

Generally, you want to have at least 20% of your drive's storage available at all times. Your computers storage is used for many things beyond just storing (paging, creation, use, and deletion of temp files, among others) and not having enough space for all of this can lead to these sort of problems. Just clear up some space and this one should go away!

a fitkin:

I tried opening up the NKJV, that seemed to work a little bit, but instead of just NKJV I now have greek and Hebrew interlinear with the English, taking up a lot of screen space. That's something I might like to read OCCASIONALLY, but not all the time. I prefer JUST the English most of the time.

This sounds like you have the Inline Interlinear turned on for the NKJV. This can be managed from the button above where the text of the NKJV is displayed that looks like three lines of "block" text. It's in the same bar with the mini-magnifying glass (the Inline Search button) and the three circles organized in a triangle (the Visual Filters button). Clicking on the Inline Interlinear button will allow you to manage what in all type of text is displayed, from the original language to Strong's numbers. Simply unchecking the box at the top named "Inline" will restore it to its normal view. I recommend checking out what in all you can do with both the Inline Interlinear and Visual Filters, as they can really revolutionize how you read through the Bible in Logos!

a fitkin:

Is there a way to get back to Logos 6? I tried deleting a few programs I do need. Every time I restart logos it says a new app is ready. If I say yes to start it, then I get some message about Microsoft Visual something Framework won't install.

Just based on when the message comes up, this sounds like it's appearing due to missing Windows Updates on the system. You'll want to check and see what, if any updates are available, and finish running them until there's none left. Once done, go ahead and try the update again it should install just fine. 

a fitkin:

If I say know it seems to start to open, then says indexing will take too much memory, and I cannot seem to go any further.

Luckily, this one should be solved with clearing space on your drive.

a fitkin:

Please, is there a way I can get back to just having Logos 6? It worked. When I got it, I had a terrible time getting it to work. It took a couple of months, I think. So I didn't try Logos 7 for a long time because I was afraid the problems would be similar. It looks like I was right about that. 

There wouldn't be a way to roll back the system per-say, as at this point your system will just demand it be put back on 7.14. Clearing the hurdles above should let the software proceed as normal in terms of setup and operation, and should improve the systems overall functionality even outside of Logos.

On the flip-side, if you need immediate access to your resources, you're welcome to access the web app at app.logos.com and log in using your email address and password there. While it may not give you all of the tooling you may have in 6 or 7 as a number of features are still not ready on the platform, it does give you complete access to your Library in the interim.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS