How to prevent requery

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 42
Dale Lundy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 6 2018 8:53 PM

Periodically I will use the library screen to scroll down looking for MyTags fields with no entries. That works well until I find one and add entries. Then the software requeries and all of a sudden I'm back at the beginning of several thousand books having to scroll down from the beginning to find where I was -- a situation that obviously gets worse the farther down I work.

I feel sure there must be a way around this, but I've not been able to determine what it is. Suggestions would be appreciated. I've tried setting the filter to MyTag:"" and MyTag:null and neither of these works.

Dale

Posts 78
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 1:25 AM

Dale, if you go to your Library window and right click on any of the sort options eg. 'Title', you can then select 'My Tag' to show up as a sort option. Tick it (left click), then it should show up with the other sort options (Rating, Title, etc.). You may need to scroll to the right to see it (the scroll bar is along the bottom of the Library window). Left click on the new 'My Tags' sort option and you should have all the non-tagged resource in one group at the top under '--' (if not, left click on the 'My Tags' sort option again to change the sort order and bring it to the top). Left click on the arrow to the left of the '--' and it will expand to reveal all the books without a tag. Note, adding a tag will remove them from this group for obvious reasons. Hope that helps.

/>

Posts 12172
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 2:55 AM

Dale Lundy:
I feel sure there must be a way around this, but I've not been able to determine what it is. Suggestions would be appreciated. I've tried setting the filter to MyTag:"" and MyTag:null and neither of these works.

As an alternative to sorting (see above), you can use the filter rating:<6 -mytag:*

The rating:<6 is there because you can't use -mytag:* on its own (the minus is shorthand for ANDNOT, which requires two parameters). rating:<6 is the quickest way of selecting all resources, so the syntax is effectively AllResources -ResourcesWithATag

Posts 78
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 4:07 AM

Great tip Mark. It has the added advantage of allowing sort by type to speed up custom tagging. Thanks!

Posts 16972
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 4:43 AM

Mark Barnes:
As an alternative to sorting (see above), you can use the filter rating:<6 -mytag:*

Simpler filter is: * -mytag:*

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4448
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 4:55 AM

You can sort by multiple columns also to add another dimension. 

Dave Colclough:

Great tip Mark. It has the added advantage of allowing sort by type to speed up custom tagging. Thanks!

Posts 78
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 12:58 PM

Thanks doc, a great bonus tip! Never thought to try shift clicking on those.

Posts 7322
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
 rating:<6 is the quickest way of selecting all resources

That was true in (IIRC) Logos 5.

The quickest way of selecting all resources is now just: *

Posts 42
Dale Lundy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 8:12 PM

Dave, thank you.

Though the tip below is an even better solution to my immediate need, this one has a very useful bonus. It lets me scan quickly for typos in mytags, something I have been dreading doing but needing to do. This will make it simple. Appreciated.

Dale

Posts 42
Dale Lundy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 8:11 PM

To all who mentioned and clarified the filter settings, thanks much! That is turning out to be incredibly useful, and I had completely missed it. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't know how to do a joint reply to everyone, but all is appreciated.

Blessings,

Dale

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS