NAC Deuteronomy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 834
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 7 2018 5:16 AM

Can anyone persuade me to add the Eugene Merrill volume to my Logos libray.?

Has anyone found it's insights particularly useful?

I already have NICOT, Apollos, NIVAC, Tyndale (old & new), UBCSOT (Wright), EBC, REBC. 

Whenever I've previewed the NAC volume the comments have appeared fairly brief. However, I'd welcome insight as to whether the comments are profound enough to mean it's worth adding for just $9.99 during the commentary sale.

Posts 72
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 5:27 AM

Considering $9.99 is about the cost for lunch, I am sure Merrill is worth it.  However, considering you already have McConville, Craige, and Block (among others) I certainly wouldn't consider Merrill essential.  Personally, I would have to be doing academic research to go beyond those three (and maybe Christopher Wright if you had him).  However, he is obviously highly regarded so your milage may vary from my own.

Posts 834
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 7:41 AM

Paul:

Considering $9.99 is about the cost for lunch, I am sure Merrill is worth it.  However, considering you already have McConville, Craige, and Block (among others) I certainly wouldn't consider Merrill essential.  Personally, I would have to be doing academic research to go beyond those three (and maybe Christopher Wright if you had him).  However, he is obviously highly regarded so your milage may vary from my own.

Thanks Paul. Yes have Wright too. I've resisted the Deuteronomy volume during previous sales - including the $7.99 one. 

Posts 82
Kristine Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 8:32 AM

If anyone owns the Daniel Block Mobile Ed course OT312 on Deuteronomy, this Merrill volume is second on the list of suggested readings with 66 links.  See faithlife group for OT312, follow it and see Readings and Resources in the Documents.  The TOTC volume at $7.99 is first with 95 links.

Posts 115
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 5:10 PM

Paul Caneparo:

I already have NICOT, Apollos, NIVAC, Tyndale (old & new), UBCSOT (Wright), EBC, REBC. 

Whenever I've previewed the NAC volume the comments have appeared fairly brief. However, I'd welcome insight as to whether the comments are profound enough to mean it's worth adding for just $9.99 during the commentary sale.

The NAC series' OT volumes have been indespensible for me. Merill is no exception. Being that you already have the volumes you mentioned, having Merill is not life or death, but it is worth the $10. His Introduction will be beefier than all of the the commentaries you mentioned, minus perhaps Apollos (I'm not personally familiar with that series). It provides an overview of retort to the Documentary Hypothesis. The NAC series is bent toward a Baptistic, often dispensational, and always evangelical framework. Thus, depending on your tradition, that will be either an advantage or a detriment. 

Posts 834
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 8:51 PM

Jonathan Ray:

Paul Caneparo:

Has anyone found its insights particularly useful?

The NAC series' OT volumes have been indespensible for me. Merill is no exception. Being that you already have the volumes you mentioned, having Merill is not life or death, but it is worth the $10. His Introduction will be beefier than all of the the commentaries you mentioned, minus perhaps Apollos (I'm not personally familiar with that series). It provides an overview of retort to the Documentary Hypothesis. The NAC series is bent toward a Baptistic, often dispensational, and always evangelical framework. Thus, depending on your tradition, that will be either an advantage or a detriment. 

Thanks Jonathan. I enjoy the NAC series. In fact I'm preaching next on Joshua and the NAC volume is by far the best commentary, although I'm enjoying Boice and the Preaching the Word volume too. I confess to rarely reading the introductions so I may pass on Deuteronomy in the NAC series on this occasion

Posts 13146
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2018 1:51 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Tremper Longman says:

This early contribution in the New American Commentary series is well written and informative. It is particularly noteworthy in its consistent evangelical approach and in its thoroughgoing use of the covenant concept in the exposition of Deuteronomy. The scholarship on which it is based strikes one as a little dated. For instance, the use of the Hittite treaty form for early dating of the book (a conclusion with which I agree) does not take into account the flexible structure of the Hittite treaty itself. MS (2.5 stars)

Posts 834
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2018 3:27 AM

Mark Barnes:

Paul Caneparo:

Tremper Longman says:

This early contribution in the New American Commentary series is well written and informative. It is particularly noteworthy in its consistent evangelical approach and in its thoroughgoing use of the covenant concept in the exposition of Deuteronomy. The scholarship on which it is based strikes one as a little dated. For instance, the use of the Hittite treaty form for early dating of the book (a conclusion with which I agree) does not take into account the flexible structure of the Hittite treaty itself. MS (2.5 stars)

Thanks Mark

I think there's always a temptation to complete a set and I'm only missing about 5 NAC volumes now, but I think your post and others probably suggest I'm not missing much given what I already own

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS