Syntax Search?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 39
Pastor Scamman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 8 2018 3:28 PM

Is it possible to do a syntax search for prepositional phrases that are not near the word they modify?

Case in point: Revelation 13:8 ends with the phrase, "from the foundation of the world." Many scholars think that this modifies "written" which occurs quite a bit earlier in the Greek text. I'd like to see how often a phrase is this far removed from the word it modifies. Perhaps this is normal, but I suspect that it is not.

Thank you for any help.

Evan

Posts 26700
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 4:56 PM

Evan Scamman:
Is it possible to do a syntax search for prepositional phrases that are not near the word they modify?

One can reproduce the Rev 13.8 instance of "not near"

You can vary this by:

• have Anything repeat  2 or more times  e.g.  2 to 5
  • remove the first  Prepositional Phrase

It gets more complex if the  Preposition modifies a noun or adjective, rather than a Verb.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 39
Pastor Scamman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 8:09 PM

Thanks so much, Dave! This did the trick.

Posts 39
Pastor Scamman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 9:27 PM

Using Rev 13:8 as a model, I need to take this one step further. Between the modified verb "written" and the prepositional phrase "from the foundation of the earth" is another verb "slain". It looks like this:

------

Verb That Is Being Modified. "written"

Other Verb that is Awkwardly Sandwiched in the Middle. "slain"

Prepositional Phrase. "from the foundation of the earth"

-------

How can I modify this search to only return examples that have a second verb clause sandwiched somewhere between the original verb and its prepositional phrase?

I'd like to prove that "from the foundation of the earth" should actually modify "slain" because there are no other examples of this type of sandwich. We'll see if my hunch is true.

Thanks for your help!

Posts 19267
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 7:22 AM

Evan Scamman:
How can I modify this search to only return examples that have a second verb clause sandwiched somewhere between the original verb and its prepositional phrase?

One way is adding a Verbal Function to intermediate Prepositional Phrase with Matching Skip Levels checked:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 39
Pastor Scamman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 7:55 PM
Thanks! Your suggestion did the trick.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS