Why do Books Open in Right Half by Default

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2525
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 12 2018 10:18 AM

Why do Books Open in Right Half by Default?

When I have a blank screen and I click one of my favorite Bibles that I have on my toolbar, it always opens in the right half. Why? I prefer the left. I know I can drag it there or make a workspace. But when I just want to read or search a Bible, I find this annoying.

Small annoyance, but still an annoyance.

Posts 1760
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2018 10:33 AM

I can't remember if this is the most up to date version, but I have this post that explains the algorithm bookmarked: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103803/718546.aspx#718546 

My Base Packages

Custom PC: Core i7; 32GB RAM; GeForce GTX 970; Win 10 Pro
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 10 Pro
Google Pixel XL | Apple iPad Pro 9.7

Posts 9072
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2018 10:34 AM

Judging from the repeated complaints, it remains a mystery. The software could watch your first use.

But to leak the design rationale, we lefties promised extra happiness.

Posts 235
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 1:49 AM

I'd pay (a little) money to have this be a setting. Opening on the right is very annoying.

Posts 2672
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 1:57 AM

Greg Yes

Posts 1865
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 6:33 AM

I think the default is guides open on the left and resources on the right. If you open a guide to a blank screen it opens on the left. The default workspace from the home page has been this way. For me it is not a problem, because I almost always open to one of my custom layouts. But if it bugs, then FL should provide an option.

Posts 2525
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 12:52 PM

I just wish it would remember the last state and open that way. That way each person gets what they prefer.

Posts 1769
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 1:49 PM

It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to open a resource in the pane which has the most similar (parallel?) resources. Commentaries where I have commentaries open. Bibles where I have Bibles open. Searches where I have searches open. Guides (any kind) where I have guides open. And it has to respect multiple monitor setups.

This remains one of the most mysterious basic UI design choices in L4+. Even an "open resource" button/link on each pane would be better than the way it behaves now.

My $.02 ...

Donnie

Posts 16972
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 9:50 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Why do Books Open in Right Half by Default?

For Hebrew/Aramaic, like opening to the Right

For English/Greek/Latin, would prefer left first (prefer reading from edge to center of screen)

Similar annoyance is researching a forum question using a floating window (with desire for next open tab to be in floating window for screen shot instead of elsewhere)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2525
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 7:34 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

For Hebrew/Aramaic, like opening to the Right

For English/Greek/Latin, would prefer left first (prefer reading from edge to center of screen)

If they set it to remember last state, that would solve your problem.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS