Relocating Data to maximize storage space on my drive

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 35
Jeremy Lobdell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 17 2018 10:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

I recently received the note below from one of our Tech people here at church.  I was wondering if you could help direct me.  Where does Logos typically store its data?  Can I change the default location such that it will solve the issue described in the e-mail below without disrupting the function of the program?   Where is that data located and What should I be looking for to locate logos files?  (e.g. file type) And How would I do this?

Thank you! 
Pastor Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

When I was logged into your PC checking the Internet, I noticed that you are close to running out of room on the C drive of your PC. You computer has two internal drives - a 256GB SSD as the main C drive and a 3TB (3000GB) standard hard drive for the D drive. Right now the only thing on the D drive is your DropBox folder.

I installed a utility named WinDirStat than scans the drive and shows the sizes of folders and files. One of the biggest files it showed was a file for the hibernation feature of Windows. Hibernation copies the entire contents of RAM to the disk so that your PC can start up faster after being asleep. Since startup time isn't a problem with an SSD drive I disabled that feature and that freed up 24GB.

I also think that your Logos software is storing a lot of data on the C drive. I'm not familiar with that software, but if you could change some settings to have it store non-critical data (images, etc.) on the D drive then that would also help.

- Dale

Posts 19229
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 12:00 PM

Hi Jeremy

https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive#Move_to_a_different_drive will give you some guidance.

But please note that moving Logos from an SSD to a standard drive will have performance implications.

Graham

Posts 1106
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 12:15 PM

Graham Criddle:
But please note that moving Logos from an SSD to a standard drive will have performance implications

Jeremy, I would see how much Logos is actually taking up first. Mine (5000+ books) takes up about 40 GB. Perhaps there's something else of lower priority that you could move off the SSD (like a media collection). 

Posts 503
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 12:38 PM

Hi 

I would look at the advice other people have given and try and tidy  up the SSD so it can run Logos. One of the side effects of logs though is the side of index file logos creates. I run Logos on quite a powerful laptop most of the time with a 256 GB SSD and another normal drive. If I keep  my SSD clear I end up with about 40 for 50 GB left over even with all of my other apps stored on the SSD.  Any media I have goes onto  the normal drive and it works fine for me like that.  I also run it on a surface 3. The SSD on this is too small to run Logos and  have the index file. I run windows 10 (not sure if this is applicable for  other ones) you can  get windows to redirect folders. I am not sure what the technical term is but if you need help I will try and help. The folder appears on my C drive but really redirects to a folder on my d drive. Logos works as per normal thinking it is writing everything to X drive but windows works in the back group and allows me to store my index file on a different drive to the books. On the surface my second drive is a fast microSD so I put the index on there and  keep the books on my C drive just in case the microSd  bombs out (saves having to download all of the books again). 

If I were you though I would really look at freeing space on the SD and allowing logos to hog it. Having logos on an SSD increases the speed of it tremendously. 

Good luck

Trying to be as noble as a Berean , Acts 17:11

Posts 25734
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 1:26 PM

Levi Durfey:
Jeremy, I would see how much Logos is actually taking up first. Mine (5000+ books) takes up about 40 GB. Perhaps there's something else of lower priority that you could move off the SSD (like a media collection). 

I concur. I would suggest talking to Dale to see what else you may be able to move. When people ask, "how can I make Logos faster," one of the first things we suggest is to move to an SSD drive. You certainly don't want to go the other direction! 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 12172
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 3:54 PM

Jeremy Lobdell:
 I also think that your Logos software is storing a lot of data on the C drive. I'm not familiar with that software, but if you could change some settings to have it store non-critical data (images, etc.) on the D drive then that would also help.

You can tell your tech person that:

1. Although it's possible to install Logos on the D Drive, that's really not a good solution as it will slow things down significantly. Logos is basically a huge database and index, and it needs a fast drive to work well.
  2. There are no settings that can be changed to store non-critical data elsewhere.
  3. The only non-critical data in Logos is the WebCache folder. Although there are no settings to change its location, it can be moved to another drive if a symbolic link is created to point to the new location.

(Note for your info: The WebCache folder includes and audio/video files you have downloaded or played. It can vary in size from almost nothing to tens of gigabytes depending on how much you play/download audio and video.)

Posts 401
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 7:42 PM

Mark Barnes:

(Not for your info:

Mark, did you mean (Note for your info: ?

Dale Heath

Posts 4448
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 8:45 PM

Excellent advice given but noted your tech support person is not familiar with Logos -> Suggestion: Give the them the link to Logos Basic which they can download for free and start to get familiar with it.

Posts 12172
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 11:25 PM

Dale E Heath:

Mark Barnes:

(Not for your info:

Mark, did you mean (Note for your info: ?

Thankyou!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS