FIX Read Aloud

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 3291
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 18 2018 1:33 AM

I have been using audio narration quite a bit in the last few days and noticed a number of problems with the way it is currently working:

1. The tracking along functionality might be buggy. Sometimes the indicator of where one is at shows, sometimes it does not. If there are rules that govern this behaviour it is not clear what they are (the help file provides no guidance on this).
  2. The page scrolling likewise might be buggy also. Sometimes it does not scroll. Manually scrolling makes the reader start back a the beginning of the page. Again, if there are rules that apply, how is one to know?
  3. The reader is totally lame when it comes to starting reading where you want it to. Scroll down to a paragraph, even highlight text, sometimes it does not matter: the reader will start at the beginning of the page. This means that any pausing to manipulate the text can force narration to go back to an earlier point. One either gives up and has to listen all over again the same things.(*)
  4. There is skip backward but not skip forward which would be a good way to skip material.
  5. Reading of Bible abbreviations leaves something to be desired. "Gen." is read as "general"!

* This behaviour varies from resource to resource and even within resources and perhaps reflects inconsistencies in how the text formatting is encoded. For instance, in Witherington, Jesus the Sage on p. 148, attempts to get the reader to read from the second paragraph fail and it goes back to the beginning of the page, but it works with the third paragraph. Not sure why.

I was able to get pretty good control in Bar-Efrat's Narrative Art in the Bible (I was on p. 133) although the reading indicator was not showing and this is where I had "general" read for Gen.

Posts 777
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2018 11:27 AM

I think page scrolling happens when it reaches the end of the paragraph. I often have a duplicate panel which I scroll manually to read along which works very well. 

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS