Logos 8 on July?

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1772
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 29 2018 8:46 PM

Since Logos Beta 16.1 & 16.2 has no new features, so I presume 5 weeks from now is the release of Logos 8? Cool

If it is on July, please do it early July. Why? Because Galaxy Note 9 is coming in August.

Just saying... Wink 

and oh ... Please (1) Make searching "for dummy", (2) Make eBook reader for pdf, mobi & epub, (3) Give us facial facelift, since you guys forgot to do that on L7 release.

Thank you and thank you

Posts 21
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2018 8:56 PM

Wouldn't 08/08/18 be a better date to release v. 8??

Posts 17363
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 11:16 PM

mike:

Since Logos Beta 16.1 & 16.2 has no new features, so I presume 5 weeks from now is the release of Logos 8? Cool

Concur lack of new features in 7.16 Beta 1 & 7.16 Beta 2 implies development of new features for 8. Humanly not know when for 8. Hoping 8 has enough new features and base package revisions for many purchases/rentals.

Thread => Logos 8 Wishlist has many wishes while thread => has more date speculations, including 8 Aug for 7.17 (plus more) Forum => Logos Web App includes Beta testing for new Notes (still being developed).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:23 AM

I’m not interested in a July release date. If that does happen it will be just another example of Faithlife not being faithful to their word. We were told it would be a two year release cycle and July is not close even close to two years. While they are free to do what they like a July release nonetheless would be another failure of integrity on their behalf. They are putting money ahead of integrity of their word if they go ahead with a July release - but given their track record I should not be surprise if it happens.

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:10 AM

doc:
We were told it would be a two year release cycle and July is not close even close to two years.

When do you think L7 was released? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 20299
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:25 AM

I did a bit of checking and saw that the beta release cycle for Logos 7.7 was mainly bug fixes with the only things that could be seen as "enhancements" were:

• Changed some details of URL support when copying them
  • Adding support for new resources
  • Improved Bible Text Only visual filters for NASB

And it was similar for 7.6

This lack of new features (in 7.6 and 7.7) was discussed in https://community.logos.com/forums/t/143076.aspx (May last year with the title "Is Logos 8 coming soon?") where it was noted that maintenance releases are good things!

This may simply be another instance of that.

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:44 AM

Take off the rose coloured glasses Alabama. It was not at the beginning of July 2016, it was end of August 2016 and Logos 6 was around the end of October 2014. Each time they keep shortening the gap between releases and have not stuck to the 2 year cycle. A release at beginning of July would be close to two months off and end of August release last time and that would make it close too three months or a whole qaurter they have shaved off the last two release cycles. Where does the slippery slope of adjusting the truth end?

Hopefully we will not see this happen and release of Logos 8 will not be until later in August.

JT (alabama24):

doc:
We were told it would be a two year release cycle and July is not close even close to two years.

When do you think L7 was released? 

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:44 AM

Graham Criddle:

It may! However, L7 was released nearly two years ago in Mid August (22nd), 2016. I would anticipate something similar. 

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:55 AM

DOC - I don't have "rose colored" glasses. FL is made up of great people who work hard. There are some recurring communication issues (which are frustrating to deal with from a user standpoint!), but never have I known FL to be intentionally misleading. When FL "misses the mark" I am more than willing to point it out (hopefully with a gentle spirit...). 

I don't understand why you continue to feel the need to attack me, or FL for that matter. No one has lied or broken any promises. I have no animosity towards you; why do you have it towards me? Remember John 13:35! 

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:56 AM

Graham I hope you are closer to the mark. Now that Logos Now has gone to pasture I am more than comfortable with seeing multiple releases simply being bug fixes. We don’t need to see something ‘new’ each time. 

Graham Criddle:

I did a bit of checking and saw that the beta release cycle for Logos 7.7 was mainly bug fixes with the only things that could be seen as "enhancements" were:

• Changed some details of URL support when copying them
  • Adding support for new resources
  • Improved Bible Text Only visual filters for NASB

And it was similar for 7.6

This lack of new features (in 7.6 and 7.7) was discussed in https://community.logos.com/forums/t/143076.aspx (May last year with the title "Is Logos 8 coming soon?") where it was noted that maintenance releases are good things!

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 7:15 AM

You are reading things into my comments I never said about FL or you. I have no issue with you Alabama, only with the way you choose to respond on select ocassions. Take a leaf out of Graham’s book when you don’t agree me, he demonstrates Pr 15:1 so well. Unlike you he never feels the need to try and take the moral higher ground which you do everytime you disagree with me,

JT (alabama24):

DOC - I don't have "rose colored" glasses. FL is made up of great people who work hard. There are some recurring communication issues (which are frustrating to deal with from a user standpoint!), but never have I known FL to be intentionally misleading. When FL "misses the mark" I am more than willing to point it out (hopefully with a gentle spirit...). 

I don't understand why you continue to feel the need to attack me, or FL for that matter. No one has lied or broken any promises. I have no animosity towards you; why do you have it towards me? Remember John 13:35

Posts 7679
LogosEmployee

The following are not equivalent:

• two year release cycle
  • 24 month release cycle
  • 104 week release cycle
  • 730 day release cycle
  • 17,520 hour release cycle

The choice of unit carries with it an implied precision. IMHO, 22 months is well within the range of what a typical reader would understand as a “two year release cycle”. 2014, 2016, 2018 is “every two years”, regardless of the specific day of the year. (Obviously you can find an extreme counterexample, such as 31 Dec 2014 - 1 Jan 2016, but that's not my point.)

Characterising this (deliberate) imprecision as a “failure of integrity” and “not being faithful to their word” is reading it in an extremely rigid and uncharitable way, and unnecessarily impugns the moral character of the people who wrote “two year release cycle” in good faith.

I'm curious: what would be an acceptable duration of a “two year release cycle” to you? Could it be shorter or longer by one hour? One day? One week? Where do you draw the line?

Posts 911
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 8:11 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
The choice of unit carries with it an implied precision. IMHO, 22 months is well within the range of what a typical reader would understand as a “two year release cycle”. 2014, 2016, 2018 is “every two years”, regardless of the specific day of the year.

Thanks Brad. Precisely what I was thinking.

It is sad that we find it so easy to say things, or just be picky,  on social media in a manner that we would be reluctant to do, if chatting over a coffee or fruit juice in a cafe.
As my late lamented mum-in-law used to say
"There is always a nice way of saying things".
"Yes mother-in-law, I have not forgotten!" 

Posts 5638
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 8:31 AM

Alright now, who’s the one getting technical here? How about we just leave it at “every other year” without knowing the exact date or hour 👍😁👌 

DAL

Posts 17363
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 9:04 AM

The choice of unit carries with it an implied precision. IMHO, 22 months is well within the range of what a typical reader would understand as a “two year release cycle”. 2014, 2016, 2018 is “every two years”, regardless of the specific day of the year.

Concur (plus interpret "every two years" as a good faith goal). Thread => Is Logos 8 coming out soon? includes many dates on Page 3

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Faithlife learned a lesson from announcing Logos for Mac too early. Logos wiki => Mac Release Notes and History includes Guesses, which turned out to be inaccurate (with user disappointment since application shipped many months later). Hence, Faithlife desires Logos 8 & Verbum 8 to have something worth purchasing before announcing it.

Thankful for Beta releases (sometimes have been a crash dummy). Currently only have Logos 7 & Verbum 7 Beta's.

User speculation for upcoming Logos releases (using 6 week development cycle):

• 7.15 => 14 May 2018
  • 7.16 => 25 Jun 2018
  • 7.17 => 8 Aug 2018
  • 7.18 => 17 Sep 2018
  • 7.19 => 29 Oct 2018
  • 7.20 => 10 Dec 2018
  • 7.21 => 21 Jan 2019
  • 7.22 => 4 Mar 2019

Logos 7.0 was released on 22 Aug 2016 so guessing 7.17 or higher could become 8.0

Personally desire new feature(s) in 8.0 to be stable enough for daily use without breaking previous functionality. While striving for technical accuracy, humanly amazed by my own stupidity, including some that persisted through many code/document reviews.

Thankful for rose colored glasses, which provide color shift correction when working under flourescent lights. For a time, had a green "Martian" picture on work Identification badge. Ick!

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Anthony Delgado | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 10:28 AM

I have never felt that Logos or Faithlife in general lacks integrity. 

That said, how would you feel about an August release date for Logos 8? Logos 7 was released August 2016 according to the release notes. https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7_Release_Notes

I'm looking forward to Logos 8. I'm planning on starting my PhD and would like to upgrade my base package. I'd rather not upgrade under release 7 and then have to (read: want to) crossgrade/upgrade when release 8 comes out. 

Posts 698
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 10:54 AM

The following are not equivalent:

• two year release cycle
  • 24 month release cycle
  • 104 week release cycle
  • 730 day release cycle
  • 17,520 hour release cycle

This is very well stated. In the scientific community, we rely on the concept of "significant figures". I don't remember FL declaring a 2.00 year release cycle. Wink

Posts 27
Dave Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 11:14 AM

So you're saying Faithlife would not be operating with "integrity" if they release Logos 8 in July?  If hypothetically they were to release the last week of July that would only be two weeks shy of their stated goal of a roughly two year cycle.  That seems awfully harsh.  I wouldn't want to personally be held to that standard of integrity.

Posts 14
Ron Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 12:06 PM

I'm sorry I don't see the issue here and why waste time complaining about a release date.  July or August whatever, Faithlife will release a new version every two years.  While I'm not a programmer but know a few and there is a lot involved with coding a new program, and most importantly the testing to make sure it works right.  Technology changes constantly so there may be code that worked years ago won't today so in a gazillion lines of code to find what needs to be fixed takes time.  It's not a lack of integrity, but give or take a month for a release is not lying to the customers.  I'm working for an organization that has been working on a program that was to be released this last January, then July, then October and now February 2019.  Frustrating yes, end of the world no.  My Logos 7 works fine with the updates and when 8 is ready I know it will be just as good if not better.

Keep up the good work Faithlife!!!

Posts 394
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 12:12 PM

Thanks Bradley, as a Logos user since 2004, I have felt more often than naught that the folks over there do a real bang up job. Working in the software industry for the last 27 years clearly shows that releases fall into patterns...but as tools or enhancements that are larger and more complex requiring a full roll out then by all means do it. It is in the best end of all concern. Faithlife is a for profit entity and they have a right to make a decision that they feel is in their interest as well as their customers.

You don't have to rush to upgrade to a base package at every upgrade. I personally was slow to upgrade on some of the features for L7, but that was a choice that I had to make. I don't fault Faithlife or the Logos teams.

What i am grateful for is an organization that continues to improve how someone can study God's Word.

Yes I am a Net Promoter for the tools being made and why I was an ambassador at one point.

Thanks and God Bless

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS