Logos 8 on July?

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 12:22 PM

Haven't bought much from Logos this year... so.. my wallet is ready :)

Posts 4882
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 1:22 PM

Bradley as I outlined in the hypothetical it is not one given cycle I was highlighting but the slippage over time that add up. If you say 2 years then it’s 2 years, the same month every two years. None of this redefining what two years means to justify a change.

And despite what Alabama tried to insinuate I have never questioned whether you or anyone else at FL is hard working. My issue is with the tact how often the truth is stretched for the sake of marketing or how often statements are made by a company representative but back tracked upon or later redefined because the redefinition is more convenient.

And when FL earlier this year tried to start charging rental to users of its membership program for resources they already had a permanent license that to me is a big red flag about any company. It was not stopped before it reached customers, it was only stopped once it reached customers - the leadership of this company a thought they could do that to their customers. 

Posts 4882
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 1:23 PM

Bradley as I outlined in the hypothetical it is not one given cycle I was highlighting but the slippage over time that add up. If you say 2 years then it’s 2 years, the same month every two years. None of this redefining what two years means to justify a change.

And despite what Alabama tried to insinuate I have never questioned whether you or anyone else at FL is hard working. My issue is with the tact how often the truth is stretched for the sake of marketing or how often statements are made by a company representative but back tracked upon or later redefined because the redefinition is more convenient.

And when FL earlier this year tried to start charging rental to users of its membership program for resources they already had a permanent license that to me is a big red flag about any company. It was not stopped before it reached customers, it was only stopped once it reached customers - the leadership of this company a thought they could do that to their customers. 

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

The following are not equivalent:

• two year release cycle
  • 24 month release cycle
  • 104 week release cycle
  • 730 day release cycle
  • 17,520 hour release cycle

The choice of unit carries with it an implied precision. IMHO, 22 months is well within the range of what a typical reader would understand as a “two year release cycle”. 2014, 2016, 2018 is “every two years”, regardless of the specific day of the year. (Obviously you can find an extreme counterexample, such as 31 Dec 2014 - 1 Jan 2016, but that's not my point.)

Characterising this (deliberate) imprecision as a “failure of integrity” and “not being faithful to their word” is reading it in an extremely rigid and uncharitable way, and unnecessarily impugns the moral character of the people who wrote “two year release cycle” in good faith.

I'm curious: what would be an acceptable duration of a “two year release cycle” to you? Could it be shorter or longer by one hour? One day? One week? Where do you draw the line?

Posts 88
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 1:38 PM

doc:

If you say 2 years then it’s 2 years, the same month every two years. None of this redefining what two years means to justify a change.

IMHO 'straining for gnats' 

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 2:44 PM

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 365 days in a year. 2 years... Works out to be about 63,072,000 seconds.

In order for some to be happy, you have to release precisely between 63,071,999 - 63,072,001 seconds.

If it comes tomorrow, or next month, or next august, I'll likely be in the same financial position. So, I'm not likely to make more upgrades for a time.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:26 PM

TL;DR: It's not easy to develop and maintain a product like Logos (or to run a company). Let's be thankful for the people who work there, and for the products that they produce.

----

What if the new version isn't ready for release on a specific month? FL may need more time to finish features or fix issues that are discovered late in the development cycle. I hope that FL doesn't expect developers to work extended hours simply to get it out the door on some arbitrary date.

And if it happens to be ready sooner, why should we expect that the new version should be put on the shelf until a specific month? Is it reasonable to deprive customers of new features and tools, once the new version is finished? Why frustrate customers (and developers who put in a lot of time and hard work, to see their efforts gather dust for a few months)?

Behind the company are people. They deserve the same loving kindness, compassion, and forgiveness from us, that God has shown to us.

If we think something isn't fair, everything will be settled up in the end. If we're concerned that someone is going to "get away with something," none of us will.

Isn't God the only one who is perfect, holy, righteous, just, blameless, true, faithful, etc.? The rest of us don't measure up -- our righteousness is as filthy rags. Who are we to hold anyone to standards which we can't measure up to, ourselves?

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:36 PM

abondservant:
If it comes tomorrow, or next month, or next august, I'll likely be in the same financial position.

This.

The part of me that likes new things would rather see it sooner. The part of me that has to pay for it would rather see it later.

Not sure I can afford to upgrade, but I wouldn't want it to be held up for anyone else who can!

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 6:12 PM

abondservant:
60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 365 days in a year.

Your post reminded me how time and date math is hard!

We tend to forget that some minutes don't have 60 seconds (leap seconds), that some days don't have 24 hours (daylight savings time), etc.

One day, these issues will pass away. There will be no more night (and probably no more calendars).

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 7:06 PM

PetahChristian:
There will be no more night (and probably no more calendars).

Something like a calendar will always exist since the Feast of Booths will be kept year by year (Zech. 14); the Feast begins on the 14th day of the 7th month.

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 12:33 PM

I do not think July is out of line... but I will be disappointed if it is release any other date than August 8... but 8-8-18 is just a wonderful date. 

-dan

Posts 99
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 1:29 PM

Faithlife just tweeted that an announcement is coming tomorrow... possibly Logos 8

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 1:49 PM

JT (alabama24):

doc:
We were told it would be a two year release cycle and July is not close even close to two years.

When do you think L7 was released? 

Seems like L7 was released a couple of months ago to me.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 221
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 1:52 PM

David Couch:

Faithlife just tweeted that an announcement is coming tomorrow... possibly Logos 8

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 2:17 PM

My guess is that the popcorn thing is a reference to a film - Fragments of Truth download release date announcement? Just a guess, though.

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 2:19 PM

André Kamphuis:

You mean I have to wait until 6 AM tomorrow?

yay!

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 2:23 PM

James McAdams:

My guess is that the popcorn thing is a reference to a film - Fragments of Truth download release date announcement? Just a guess, though.

It's July 23...

So it is not a movie announcement. Party!!!

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 3:09 PM

mike:

It's July 23...

So it is not a movie announcement. Party!!!

Ah, hadn’t spotted that. Interesting!

Posts 6229
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 3:22 PM

So, can we watch fragments of Thruth for free with Faithlife connect essentials no library?

Posts 438
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 6:14 PM

mike:
I presume 5 weeks from now is the release of Logos 8? Cool

8 minus 5 is 3. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Posts 407
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 6:23 PM

Dan Francis:

I do not think July is out of line... but I will be disappointed if it is release any other date than August 8... but 8-8-18 is just a wonderful date. 

-dan

Yes

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS