Searching for the Compound Names of God

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 802
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 30 2018 12:42 PM

Any suggestions for how to search in the Hebrew text for the compound names of God [such as יְהוָ֣ה׀ יִרְאֶ֑ה YAHWEH Yireh in Gen 22:14 or אֵ֣ל שַׁדַּ֔י El Shaddai in Gen 17:1]?

Posts 2129
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 4:50 AM

Hi Bill,

I suggest a Topic Guide or Factbook entry for Names of God, Names of God in the OT, Names of God in the NT. This will get you dictionary entries that list the compound names used for God. You can extend your study from there by running either searches or word study entries on the Hebrew or Greek to get lists of entries in the Bible text.

Hope this helps you get started.

Posts 21133
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:12 AM

I would suggest the Names of God Interactive - but for some reason it doesn't seem to have the Gen 17:1 reference to El Shaddai!

Posts 9523
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:19 AM

Graham Criddle:
I would suggest the Names of God Interactive - but for some reason it doesn't seem to have the Gen 17:1 reference to El Shaddai!

There seem to be some data issues with it. Also filters like speaker and adressee yield wrong results.

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 17629
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 5:52 AM

Bill Fiess:
Any suggestions for how to search in the Hebrew text for the compound names of God [such as יְהוָ֣ה׀ יִרְאֶ֑ה YAHWEH Yireh in Gen 22:14 or אֵ֣ל שַׁדַּ֔י El Shaddai in Gen 17:1]?

"<Lemma = lbs/he/יהוה> <Lemma = lbs/he/ראה>" OR "<Lemma = lbs/he/אֵל:5> <Lemma = lbs/he/שַׁדַּי>"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 802
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 3:21 PM

Thank you all for some excellent suggestions!

Bill

Posts 24009
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2018 4:33 PM

Graham Criddle:

Factbook includes that one.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS