OT: Bibleworks ceases operation as of June 15, 2018

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 1226
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 1 2018 12:13 AM

I guess this means there is just one direct competitor to Logos in the market for academic bible software:

BibleWorks has been serving the church for 26 years by providing a suite of professional tools aimed at enabling students of the Word to “rightly divide the word of truth”. But it has become increasingly apparent over the last few years that the need for our services has diminished to the point where we believe the Lord would have us use our gifts in other ways. Accordingly as of June 15, 2018 BibleWorks will cease operation as a provider of Bible software tools. We make this announcement with sadness, but also with gratitude to God and thankfulness to a multitude of faithful users who have stayed with us for a large part of their adult lives. We know that you will have many questions going forward and we will do our best to answer some of them here.

source: www.bibleworks.com

Posts 5
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 3:34 AM

Sad news

Posts 9812
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 3:55 AM

I wonder if there's a possibiliy for Faithlife to acquire the multitude of licences Bibleworks has for non-English bibles and related stuff, such as hi-res images of manuscripts etc.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 3:57 AM

just bought version 10..

Posts 2134
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 4:30 AM

NB.Mick:

I wonder if there's a possibiliy for Faithlife to acquire the multitude of licences Bibleworks has for non-English bibles and related stuff, such as hi-res images of manuscripts etc.

There's already more discussion about it here than on the BW forum itself. That tells me something about their current economic status...

I remember using BW 2 or 3 like an eternity ago.

I would assume that there's a lot more to acquire than licenses. They have modules that Logos doesn't have, they have a customer base of unknown size, which, when acquired by FL would certainly also boost all those PP and CP titles that have been dead in the water for ages.

I hope that Bob is investigating options. It would really be a shame to see all that go to waste.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2445
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 4:33 AM

Jan Krohn:

I hope that Bob is investigating options. It would really be a shame to see all that go to waste.

Yes

I second that. That would be good for business, not to mention an assurance of support to existing BW users.

Posts 454
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 4:48 AM

Sad. I have two monitors on my desk and normally Logos is open on one and Bibleworks is open on the other. I use them both daily.

Posts 1374
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 5:00 AM

Nord Zootman:
Logos is open on one and Bibleworks is open on the other. I use them both daily.

I guess you must have a very good reason to do that. Would be interesting to know details!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 61
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 5:24 AM

I do something similar. The primary reason? Speed. Bibleworks destroys when it comes to speed and doesn't require specialized hardware (looking at you SSD) to run efficiently. Secondary reason? It's just me and the text without a ton of extra stuff. Yes, I know I can set Logos up the same way but it feels different in Bibleworks from my perspective. I guess it boils down to different design philosophies. However, I think Bibleworks UI is ugly.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 5:38 AM

I also use both.  Bibleworks was my first Bible software purchase (v.4) and I stuck with it through the years.  Yes, the user interface is ugly, but it gets to the information you need right away.  I will keep on using them as long as I can.

Posts 454
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 6:57 AM

Veli Voipio:
I guess you must have a very good reason to do that. Would be interesting to know details!

Speed and familiarity. I have used Logos since version 2 (maybe even earlier) but started using Bibleworks a number of years ago. At that time it could do grammatical searches in the origional languages that Logos did not do or at least did not do well. It's focus has always been the analysis of the text rather than building a library. I agree with others that it's ui is utilitarian looking at best, but it just works very very well at what it does. At the same time I have continued to build a library in Logos that I rely on as well.

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:05 AM

I also use both Logos and Bible Works daily. I had Bible Works prior to Logos and like its speed and simplicity.

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:10 AM

The closing down of Bibleworks is something I never want to read about for Logos and Faithlife. Though we occasionally complain and bicker about pricing, we want Logos always to remain viable, both for its employees and us as consumers.

Posts 143
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:15 AM

IMHO FaithLife should consider acquiring and supporting BibleWorks.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:24 AM

I do the same Nord, like you I've been a long term user of both, but Hermeneutika came first on my ancient hard drive and familiarity just sped me along despite getting to know and use Logos efficiently.  I have many thousands of chapter and verse notes in that program and I'm now contemplating the best way to secure them against the day that my BW just stops working.  However distant that day may be.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 769
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 8:41 AM

Ted Weis:

The closing down of Bibleworks is something I never want to read about for Logos and Faithlife. Though we occasionally complain and bicker about pricing, we want Logos always to remain viable, both for its employees and us as consumers.

It's interesting that part of BibleWorks stated Company Vision reads as follows:

We exist to serve the church, not to make a profit, and all of our business decisions are made with that in mind. Our goal is to provide a complete package containing the tools most essential for the task of interpreting the Scriptures in the original Greek and Hebrew, and to do it at a price that poor pastors and students can afford. To accomplish this task we routinely make marketing and sales decisions that many would consider to be bad business but which serve our primary goals.

While I admire their stated, highly altruistic goal(s), not making a profit and bad marketing and sales decisions are ultimately going to be death in the pot (barring some miraculous intervention).  By operating this way they insured that BW would only be available for a generation or two and not beyond.  I am sorry to see them go.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1129
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 10:44 AM

IMHO, there is more optimism being expressed about this topic on the BibleWorks forum along with more details from their developer(s). 

Posts 2169
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 10:45 AM

I began using BW with 9, more as a way to refocus my attention on core details. I still have no idea about 95% of the controls, but I really like the simplicity of setting my mind and eyes on Scripture..

I hope someone will step up to the plate and help them find a way to become sustainable and active again..

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1675
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 12:47 PM

Ted Weis:
The closing down of Bibleworks is something I never want to read about for Logos and Faithlife.

I'm with you! I posted some thoughts on this: 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/169866.aspx

Posts 2161
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 1:58 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Ted Weis:
The closing down of Bibleworks is something I never want to read about for Logos and Faithlife.

I'm with you! I posted some thoughts on this: 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/169866.aspx

Remember: The only constant in life; is change.

Author, Dan Phillips' post is interesting. Read it here: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?6955-The-discontinuation-of-BW-is-devastating-news 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS