Faithlife and Logos Bible Software: Here for the long haul!

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:49 AM

I believe it was about 1995 that Logos bought the rights to the old CDWORD program, which I had.   I immediately took upgrade offer to Logos Bible Software.  So, for more than 20 years I have been a satisfied customer of Logos, which is now Faithlife.  I realize that there are people who had a similar long relationship with BibleWorks, and I am sorry for this disappointing news.

However, I have never lost a book that I bought from Logos / Faithlife.  I do not believe that I ever will.  Their management has earned my confidence. Over the decades I have built a theological and biblical library that I treasure.  I could not have done so without Faithlife.

Thanks, Mr. Pritchett.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 8:52 AM

Michael Childs:

I believe it was about 1995 that Logos bought the rights to the old CDWORD program, which I had.   I immediately took upgrade offer to Logos Bible Software.  So, for more than 20 years I have been a satisfied customer of Logos, which is now Faithlife.  I realize that there are people who had a similar long relationship with BibleWorks, and I am sorry for this disappointing news.

However, I have never lost a book that I bought from Logos / Faithlife.  I do not believe that I ever will.  Their management has earned my confidence. Over the decades I have built a theological and biblical library that I treasure.  I could not have done so without Faithlife.

Thanks, Mr. Pritchett.

Well said, Michael.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 21
Richard Milbrandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 9:01 AM

That is great to hear, Bob.  Logos Bible Software is a great thing for pastors like me.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 9:11 AM

Thanks for the update, Bob.  On another note, Michael Bushell (the creator of Bibleworks) has a post on why they decided to stop producing Bibleworks.  It's always good to get information straight from the source. . .

https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?6959-A-note-from-Michael-Bushell-on-the-closure-of-BibleWorks&p=35613#post35613

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 11:43 AM

Jan Krohn:

Here's one more idea. You're looking for Bible software developers. https://blog.faithlife.com/blog/2018/05/refer-a-software-developer-and-earn-2500-in-logos-credit

A bunch of Bible software developers is likely to become available on the job market very soon.

Bibleworks was pretty much a one-man show. That was part of the problem. 

Posts 10228
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 11:56 AM

Michael Sullivan:

... On another note, Michael Bushell (the creator of Bibleworks) has a post on why they decided to stop producing Bibleworks.  It's always good to get information straight from the source. . .

https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?6959-A-note-from-Michael-Bushell-on-the-closure-of-BibleWorks&p=35613#post35613

Interesting article; thank you Michael. He lays the problem at the feet of the overall OL market.  Christianity Today has a discussion but I didn't read it (subscription). Where's that prepub.

http://www.intrust.org/Magazine/Issues/Spring-2014/Ministers-without-masters-degrees 

is about 4 years ago and also interesting. It sort of hints (discussion of the market) at where Logos seems to be going. Which I'd think is a good thing. 

Posts 981
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 2:32 PM

Denise:
Which I'd think is a good thing

Thanks for the link Denise. Fascinating. Logos seems to becoming  well positioned to help with this trend.

Posts 1715
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 3:33 PM

Michael Sullivan:
Thanks for the update, Bob.  On another note, Michael Bushell (the creator of Bibleworks) has a post on why they decided to stop producing Bibleworks.  It's always good to get information straight from the source.

FYI:  Either my virus protection is paranoid, or BW forums have been compromised somehow:

Win 10 Android 9 Fire OS 5

Posts 2339
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 5:16 PM

According to Kaspersky, it's clean.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 5094
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:01 PM

Mark Barnes:

Jan Krohn:

Here's one more idea. You're looking for Bible software developers. https://blog.faithlife.com/blog/2018/05/refer-a-software-developer-and-earn-2500-in-logos-credit

A bunch of Bible software developers is likely to become available on the job market very soon.

Bibleworks was pretty much a one-man show. That was part of the problem. 

Two man show plus support staff with and a very different vision to that of FL.  Disappointing for Bibleworks users for sure but at the same time Michael Bushell has remained true to his vision till the end. So kudos to him.

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 12:04 AM

Thanks, Bob. And I want to express again how your continued listening to customers (such as with the Connect: No Library plan that I am extremely pleased with!) gives me confidence in your products and services to invest for the long haul.

Posts 10228
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 7:32 AM

doc:

Two man show plus support staff with and a very different vision to that of FL.  Disappointing for Bibleworks users for sure but at the same time Michael Bushell has remained true to his vision till the end. So kudos to him.

Strangely, that was one of my bizarre motives for getting a copy. That and a couple of the resources that I want before they disappear. 

I still have a big appreciation for people with dreams. The Turbo C guy. The day Jobs and Wozniac decided to include so many unnecessary features in the Apple II. Dreams.  And I'd assume the BW guys knew it couldn't go on forever ... they posted warnings on their product page.

I'm glad the ministry and a relaxed retirement is their journey's next joy.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 3:52 PM

Thanks Bob; I have no doubt that Faithlife will be around in the near and far future. Not currently a prophet, and definitely not a soothsayer Smile, but just looking at the facts of where Faithlife has come from through the years, and where Faithlife is today. The only worst case I can possibly see occurring at some point, is an occasional downsizing, and with that only being temporary.

Faithlife will meet you where you are now in your studies, and go with you tomorrow, wherever God takes you. From the pre-teen that may just now be discovering that there is more to the Bible than what they may be currently reading, to scholar that is looking very deep into the riches of the Word of God, Logos/Faithlife is there to help with finding the answers.

I have no doubt that Faithlife will survive the occasional storm. My thoughts. Smile

Posts 640
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 11:52 AM

Hey Bob,

I just had a thought from reading through these comments.  Maybe you could make a recognition post- your longest customer, the customer with the most resources, the customer with the most forum posts, etc..

Just a thought.

Thanks for continuing to seek improvement for this program!

-Michael Shelnutt

Posts 651
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2018 7:47 PM

Aside from the user interface being the most intuitive for me, one of the reasons I chose Logos over Accordance or BibleWorks was that I thought their business model, marketing ability, and them keeping relatively up to date with technology and user trends made Faithlife more sustainable for the future. (Accordance didn't even have an Android app when I purchased Logos, although they do now.) Since we're investing a lot of money in the software and our digital library, it's important to feel like the business won't just up and close. It's good to know that Faithlife intends to keep up with the times and continue to compete in the marketplace. It is sad though that folks have one fewer option for high-powered bible software.

I continue to pray for Faithlife's future stability, vision, and success.

Posts 2
Christopher Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 3:22 PM

I appreciate this response. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

But with all due respect, the question still remains: what happens to our Logos library in the unlikely event that Logos does go out of business? Do we lose our library?

Thanks, 

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 5:34 PM

Christopher Johnson:

But with all due respect, the question still remains: what happens to our Logos library in the unlikely event that Logos does go out of business? Do we lose our library?

Thanks, 

If I may add a reply to this. There is an extensive conversation on this subject somewhere on the forum, but I don't remember where. I'm not sure of the details, however, I tested Logos by disconnecting internet access, and still was able to use Logos with my entire library. The functions that relied on internet access did not work, of course. So, I'm thinking that, if something catastrophic were to happen to the Faithlife business infrastructure, most of the Logos desktop would function, and your library would still be available to read.

Posts 10228
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:14 PM

Christopher Johnson:

Thanks, 

I'd think your answer is simply in observing Bibleworks. Your investment is as good as a system that can run it. The BW guy plans to update BW as long as he can. But the system itself is your limiter (Windows or Mac).

Bob (the Faithlife CEO) argues, the Logos customer base is so large, somebody will pick up the pieces ... likely some folks at FL. I'd assume that's relative to the same issue at BW ... licenses and contracts.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 12:49 AM

Christopher Johnson:

Thanks, 

You would still be able to use the software you had installed. You wouldn’t be able to easily install the software on a new computer, though. However, should zlogos go out of business, it’s assets would almost certainly be picked up by someone else, who would keep the essential servers alive to ensure — at least — we could reinstall. If that didn’t happen, you’d have hundreds of thousands of users motivated to discover how this process worked, and together, we’d find a way of hacking things to ensure we could carry on.

So while there are no guarantees with digital (just as there are no guarantees your paper library won’t be burned or eaten by moths, or that you won’t become blind and unable to read it), then the size of Logos is a reasonable insurance policy against our copies becoming unusable. 

Posts 2
Christopher Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 4:25 PM

Ok thanks everyone for your helpful responses!

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS