Faithlife and Logos Bible Software: Here for the long haul!

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 43 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 17968
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 8:48 PM

Mark Barnes:

Christopher Johnson:

what happens to our Logos library in the unlikely event that Logos does go out of business? Do we lose our library?

You would still be able to use the software you had installed. You wouldn’t be able to easily install the software on a new computer, though. 

Depends on existing and new computer whether easy to clone offline or not. Concur cloning of Windows has technical challenges. In contrast, have used macOS to quickly clone an existing installation from one of my Mac's to another (copied two folders OR used Disk Utility to clone entire macOS partition). The application bundle on macOS is self-contained. In contrast, Windows uses a setup program to check/install pre-requisites on one of your computers followed by installing application.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 594
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:28 AM

I've been a user for over a dozen years and I'm grateful for all the great resources. We are truly living in a unique and privileged time to study the Scriptures!

Posts 1422
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 12:30 AM

I just checked me Community Pricing list, and got the feeling CP is a long term project, a sign that Logos Bible Software aims to be there for there the long haul...

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1
Christian Wagner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2019 4:05 AM

The long-term upgrade history of Logos is the main reason I decided to go with Logos rather than another platform. While past performance does not guarantee long-term support, it is a pretty good indicator at least for the next five to ten years.

The main problems I see with eBooks in general is that there is still a lot of proprietary DRM being used and transferring books you own to other platforms can be difficult to impossible. Bible related eBooks are even more proprietary than Kindle (for example) and are usually bound to the original application.

Moving books and resources to the cloud is another trend which makes it more likely, that books will become unusable in the future. Logos desktop can still be run in a VM in ten years time, just like Bibleworks, but Logos on iOS would likely stop working if the servers are not maintained. Removing DRM (just like the music industry has done) and providing fully offline modes for all applications would improve long-term viability for the books. Standardizing on extensible open file formats would be even better.

Even Microsoft discontinued two eBook Platforms, leaving customers stranded in the process. The DRM kept LIT files locked-up in 2011, and the shutdown of the eBook cloud service in July 2019 will cause the books to disappear, prompting Microsoft to refund the full purchase price.

I still have readable books and Bibles from my grandparents which are more than 100 years old. I very much doubt, that proprietary DRM based eBooks and Bibles which are dependent on licensing servers will still be usable in a 100 years, while DRM-free PDF, ePub and MP3 will likely continue to be readable.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS