Bringing Your BibleWorks User Content to Logos

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 9:28 PM

Mark:
My only question is whether it is possible to save all notes one has in his/her Bible in a Word Doc for back up and use for writing sermons or papers.  In other words, can all notes be exported to an external doc?

Yes. In the current system, open a notes document and type Ctrl+P or select Print/Export from the panel menu. You can export your notes to a variety of formats. We plan to support this in the new system as well.

Mark:
I wrote notes in my Bible when I was young and they are valuable to me but not transferable...so it is important to me to be able to export ALL notes in the Bible or in a book of the Bible into a separate document.

Same here. I've had on my list for a while to manually move them into Logos, but I've not gotten around to it yet. I've often wondered if there'd be a market for a service that would take print notes and highlights from books and transfer them to Logos for you. But I'm not sure the economics would make sense.

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:17 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I've had on my list for a while to manually move them into Logos, but I've not gotten around to it yet. I've often wondered if there'd be a market for a service that would take print notes and highlights from books and transfer them to Logos for you. But I'm not sure the economics would make sense.

I can't comment on whether the economics make sense but this feature would be amazing to have. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1948
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:09 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Yes. In the current system, open a notes document and type Ctrl+P or select Print/Export from the panel menu. You can export your notes to a variety of formats. We plan to support this in the new system as well.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:  If I have thousands of notes all over the Bible in Logos note format, and I want to save all those thousands of notes in one file, I open a notes document and type Ctrl+P or select Print/Export from the menu and it will save all those thousands of notes in one file?  And they would be in order (from Genesis to Revelation)? And if I had notes from a book resource (something I rarely would do, but I can see a point in doing it), I can save all those notes also?  OR would ctrl+p save all notes ever taken in the Logos program into one file?

Mark

Posts 21935
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:29 AM

Mark:
If I have thousands of notes all over the Bible in Logos note format, and I want to save all those thousands of notes in one file, I open a notes document and type Ctrl+P or select Print/Export from the menu and it will save all those thousands of notes in one file? 

That is correct. But if some of the Notes in your Bible are held in different Notes Documents, this export process will need to be repeated for each Notes Document.

Mark:
And they would be in order (from Genesis to Revelation)?

That is an option - you can sort Notes within a Notes Document by a range of parameters

The sort option selected here will determine the order the Notes are saved in the file.

Mark:
And if I had notes from a book resource (something I rarely would do, but I can see a point in doing it), I can save all those notes also?

Yes you could

Mark:
OR would ctrl+p save all notes ever taken in the Logos program into one file?

It would only export all of the Notes within a particular Notes Document.

One detail - it may already be clear but I wanted to clarify. When referring to "file" above, this is an external file (such as a Microsoft Word document) and not a Logos Notes Document.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 7:44 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Since BibleWorks is closing, many BibleWorks users are trying to figure out what to do with their notes and other user content they’ve invested into the platform for years or decades.

We are working on a tool that will allow you to import your BibleWorks notes and some other user content into Logos. We don’t yet have a timeframe for making this publicly available or a complete list of the content we’ll allow you to import. We’re still investigating the possibilities. We’ll share updates here in the forums when we have more information about what you’ll be able to import and when it will be ready. If you’re interested in helping us test the importer before it’s publicly available, let us know.

(1) This is an encouraging development for BW users. I applaud Faithlife for doing it.

(2) I had not been interested in the Logos notes feature before this thread. I had feared that if Logos closed down, my notes would be in jeopardy. Understanding something of the exporting feature is changing my mind.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 7:58 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I've had on my list for a while to manually move them into Logos, but I've not gotten around to it yet. I've often wondered if there'd be a market for a service that would take print notes and highlights from books and transfer them to Logos for you. But I'm not sure the economics would make sense.

I can't comment on whether the economics make sense but this feature would be amazing to have. Yes

How much would you be willing to pay to have your notes and highlights from an old Bible transferred? What if the book was damaged or destroyed in the process?

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 8:20 AM

It maybe a dumb question but since I don’t know I’ll ask anyway:

Wasn’t Bible Works ran on the Libronix system? There was this Nelson’s Reference Pastor‘s library or something that was sold separately before it came to Logos and it used Libronix as the platform for its content.

Maybe someone remembers. It was real cheap too until Zondervan took over it.

DAL

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 8:34 AM

DAL:
Wasn’t Bible Works ran on the Libronix system?

No.

DAL:
There was this Nelson’s Reference Pastor‘s library or something that was sold separately before it came to Logos and it used Libronix as the platform for its content.

That was unrelated to BibleWorks.

Posts 1948
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 9:45 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
How much would you be willing to pay to have your notes and highlights from an old Bible transferred? What if the book was damaged or destroyed in the process?

I would be surprised if there as a market.  I would not pay for a service because of the way I wrote notes in a Bible...I would need to do it myself.  But others may find a service useful

Posts 18
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 10:08 AM

Adding my interest to this possibility...

Posts 990
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 1:00 PM

Notes aside, what about the idea of high resolution off-line manuscripts?  can we get those in logos?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 421
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:24 PM

Beloved:

I am not a BW user but i applaud FL leadership in this arena.

I very much agree - its good leadership.  Its also makes financial sense for Faithlife to encourage BW users across. Keep well Paul  

Posts 1019
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:37 PM

Paul:

Beloved:

I am not a BW user but i applaud FL leadership in this arena.

I very much agree - its good leadership.  Its also makes financial sense for Faithlife to encourage BW users across. Keep well Paul  

I agree too.  I don't use BW, but this strikes me as a very responsible way for FaithLife to help address the needs of a significant number of their customers.

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:45 PM

John Goodman:

Notes aside, what about the idea of high resolution off-line manuscripts?  can we get those in logos?

Probably a conversation for another thread.

Posts 990
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 8:15 AM

Phil, I started another thread but you haven't engaged it? It's something I'd love to buy! It's not entirely off topic because this is one of the distinctive features Bibleworks users will want;)

If BibleWorks users are reading this and want to know how powerfully Logos already covers this see the video here: https://www.logos.com/product/54916/septuagint-manuscript-explorer (What I'm enquiring about is offline and therefore faster viewing.)

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 9:53 AM

John Goodman:
I started another thread but you haven't engaged it? It's something I'd love to buy!

I follow only a few forums and miss lots of threads. Sorry. Can you point me to your other thread?

Posts 3
Anthony Lipscomb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:11 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We are working on one or more packages for BibleWorks users who might be looking to move to Logos. We would heavily discount them to make them as affordable as possible and minimize the sting of repurchasing content in another platform.

Is there an estimated timeframe for when Logos packages for BW users might be offered? Accordance has already released a few options.

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:17 AM

Anthony Lipscomb:
Is there an estimated timeframe for when Logos packages for BW users might be offered? Accordance has already released a few options.

We're aiming for Friday.

Posts 21935
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:24 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

John Goodman:
I started another thread but you haven't engaged it? It's something I'd love to buy!

I follow only a few forums and miss lots of threads. Sorry. Can you point me to your other thread?

Hi Phil

John is probably referring to https://community.logos.com/forums/t/169917.aspx 

Posts 2
Joshua Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 4:05 PM

I know many in the BibleWorks' community will appreciate Faith Life and Accordance looking into how to assist users.

The closure of BibleWorks does highlight one of the dangers with digital libraries. I own a license for HALOT/BDAG for use in BibleWorks. Unlike the book (which I also own), I don't own the content (the difference between a license and ownership) and the license is not portable to other digital programs even though it costs hundreds of dollars.

I don't think Faith Life / Logos or Accordance has much leverage in these situations with the publishers. But the Accordance packages, to cross grade to their platform for original language research tools similar to core BibleWorks and add in HALOT/BDAG is cost prohibitive to many. If publishers made content licenses portable it would take a lot of the risk and sting out of these situations. And this is not a unique situation (it has happened in the other medias such as music, movies, and games in the past) and even if a company is strong for a couple decades (I have used BW for 20 years) doesn't mean they will always be solvent.

Personally, I have been looking at the Logos content. The customizable layouts look great and their tools have really come a long way since the last time I used Logos. You guys have a great product. When I had to call support many years ago your staff were fantastic and Michael Heiser has always been a great host when I visited (non-Logos activity). I am certain whatever you guys come up with will bless some BW users who now need a digital Bible study home. The idea of migrating is painful for many, though, as items like HALOT are not only expensive (short term expense) it feels like you are signing up for a second go-around on the digital license merry-go-round.

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS