Any ideas for a good Intro to the Bible for nonbelievers?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:06 PM

I have a Facebook friend who is very skeptical about religion, Christianity, and the Bible. He's been posting a lot of questions about the Bible on Facebook lately, particularly about Adam and Eve, but his questions lead me to believe that he's not really familiar with the Bible, its general content, what kind of book it is, and how it's put together.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good (accurate) introduction to the Bible for non-scholar nonbelievers? I just graduated from seminary and all of the books I have are too technical. Even the good books I have that were written for a popular audience are really for lay Christian bible nerds. All of the books I had before seminary are not completely accurate or reliable.

I want to have conversations with him and discuss his questions but I'd like to give something that can properly orient him on the Bible first so we have a common ground to start on. Any suggestions?

Posts 17974
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:09 PM

Kiyah:
I have a Facebook friend who is very skeptical about religion, Christianity, and the Bible.

Curious if Facebook friend has an opinion about Lee Strobel's Case for Christ ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:12 PM

Keep taking him or her back to what Scripture declares pray for them- the same Holy Spirit who worked on you will them also- remember your the messenger- He's the Saviour.

Posts 2315
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:35 PM

"I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist" by Dr Frank Turek.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 6:10 PM

Yes, here are three resources that I think would be up your friend's alley:

First, The God Who is There by D.A. Carson (which is also a video series)

Second, The Story of Reality by Greg Koukl

Third, Christianity Considered: A Guide for Skeptics and Seekers by John Frame

Posts 1049
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 6:46 PM

There have been some good suggestions. If this person is willing to go through material with you, look into leading them through Christianity Explored. It's a study through the gospel of Mark. Then after the gospel is well articulated, some of the other parts of the Bible's storyline might start to make more sense. 

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 7:31 PM

I would highly recommend “A Douber’s Guide to the Bible.”   by John Dickson.  Actually I would recommend any of John’s doubter books.  https://www.logos.com/product/52613/a-doubters-guide-to-the-bible-inside-historys-bestseller-for-believers-and-skeptics  He writes in a good conversational style.  He doesn’t give easy answerS.   And I think they would provide a great conversational starter if you were to go through them chapter by chapter.  If you google Dickson and doubter’s guide I am sure you’ll find some reviews.

Posts 17974
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 9:39 PM

Kiyah:
I have a Facebook friend who is very skeptical about religion, Christianity, and the Bible.

Faithlife Ebooks has many Strobel volumes => https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?query=strobel Thankful for hard copy Case for Christ Study Bible Big Smile that has articles from five books by Lee Strobel plus study notes along with his journey to faith (under John 12 text). Thankful for a Bible Study that showed Case for Christ movie, which included a number of Biblical introductions along with investigative analysis.

Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace

Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh and Sean McDowell is $ 3.99 (Josh set out to make an intellectual joke of Christianity)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:43 AM

Kiyah

I would like to recommend Tom Wrights 'Simply Christian'.

https://www.logos.com/product/15826/simply-christian 

Posts 1949
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:02 AM

The best resource I have ever found was the Bible itself.  It is the power of God unto salvation.  I have seen in my lifetime that when a skeptic comes into contact with the Word of God and reads it or listens to it for himself/herself, then God has the power to open the eyes.  If he/she is asking questions about the Bible, but does not really know the Bible, if there is sincere interest, he/she will take up Scripture and read it for himself/herself.  Often, however, there is no real interest.

All the suggestions given so far are good suggestions.  I just want to put forward this idea to encourage him/her to actually read the Bible for himself/herself instead of forming a viewpoint based on the word of other people.

Posts 69
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:35 AM

https://www.goodseed.com/the-stranger-on-the-road-to-emmaus.html

Overview of the storyline of the scriptures, from Creation to Christ.

Mike Measley

Using Logos Desktop Software, Proclaim, Faithlife Groups, Faithlife Apps (Android), app.logos.com

Windows 10, Android  7, Chromebook (app.logos.com/Chrome Desktop Remote)

Posts 3239
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:02 AM

Kiyah:

I have a Facebook friend who is very skeptical about religion, Christianity, and the Bible. He's been posting a lot of questions about the Bible on Facebook lately, particularly about Adam and Eve, but his questions lead me to believe that he's not really familiar with the Bible, its general content, what kind of book it is, and how it's put together.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good (accurate) introduction to the Bible for non-scholar nonbelievers? I just graduated from seminary and all of the books I have are too technical. Even the good books I have that were written for a popular audience are really for lay Christian bible nerds. All of the books I had before seminary are not completely accurate or reliable.

I want to have conversations with him and discuss his questions but I'd like to give something that can properly orient him on the Bible first so we have a common ground to start on. Any suggestions?

From what you have posted here, it seems his focus is in the area of science.  Two of the better books I've read that focus on this are God's Crime Scene by J. Warner Wallace and Creator and the Cosmos by Hugh Ross.  I don't believe either of them really focus on specifically Adam and Eve but they will lay the foundation for the existence of God.  Another great general book I'd recommend is I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Frank Turek.  That book is an all-in-one book that uses natural theology or evidential apologetics and that might be of some use for you too.

Posts 3239
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:06 AM

Quick side note... if he is really hung up on evolution and knows science fairly well I'd recommend one of the newer books to deal with this issue: Theistic Evolution by numerous authors and published by crossway.  It is a beast though... and clocks in over 1000 pages.

www.logos.com/product/148114/

Posts 298
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:38 AM

I haven't read this book yet but it certainly looks promising for what you are looking for.

J.P. Moreland, "Scaling the Secular City: a defense of Christianity."

https://www.logos.com/product/43362/scaling-the-secular-city-a-defense-of-christianity

I have read "Love Your God With All Your Mind" many times, which is now in Logos. Also is his book he co-authored "Escape From Reason". 

Anything Moreland writes (IMHO) is worth checking out.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:01 PM

Paul:

I would highly recommend “A Douber’s Guide to the Bible.”   by John Dickson.  Actually I would recommend any of John’s doubter books.  https://www.logos.com/product/52613/a-doubters-guide-to-the-bible-inside-historys-bestseller-for-believers-and-skeptics  He writes in a good conversational style.  He doesn’t give easy answerS.   And I think they would provide a great conversational starter if you were to go through them chapter by chapter.  If you google Dickson and doubter’s guide I am sure you’ll find some reviews.

This one looks like it might be a winner. Thanks!

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:02 PM

Mike Binks:

Kiyah

I would like to recommend Tom Wrights 'Simply Christian'.

https://www.logos.com/product/15826/simply-christian 

I thought about this one too. Good idea.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:18 PM

Mattillo:

From what you have posted here, it seems his focus is in the area of science.  Two of the better books I've read that focus on this are God's Crime Scene by J. Warner Wallace and Creator and the Cosmos by Hugh Ross.  I don't believe either of them really focus on specifically Adam and Eve but they will lay the foundation for the existence of God.  Another great general book I'd recommend is I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Frank Turek.  That book is an all-in-one book that uses natural theology or evidential apologetics and that might be of some use for you too.

Actually I think he's more concerned about the bible's reliability and consistency/coherence. His questions are more focused around pointing out what he thinks are discrepancies in some of the stories in the bible. But since he's taking things piece-meal he can't see how stuff actually does fit together. I don't think he's read full passages or books of the bible, just verses here and there. I want him to read the actual bible itself but I want to give him something to help him get into it and understand what kind of book the bible is and the overall story line.

Posts 469
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 3:13 PM

Perhaps John Goldingay's A Reader's Guide to the Bible would be helpful. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS