Is it worth it to buy WBC now or should I wait? Also best place to view videos about how to get the most out of Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 5 2018 2:30 PM

I've had Logos7 silver package for a few years now, but have never really gotten into using it much. Recently I started seminary and have found I will be in the need for some good commentaries and saw that the WBC was on sale for $830 and was wondering if I should jump on it or will it be on sale for a better price soon? I know I need the Genesis Vol 1 this semester but not sure which others I will need in the future. I have a couple of commentaries that are physical form but might be looking to start doing more on the computer. They also have the Ecclesiastes for free this month along with John for $10 and Exodus $5.

Where is a good place to view videos on layouts and how to best use Logos? 

I'm mainly going to be using it for school, personal study, and lesson preparation.

TIA

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 3:24 PM

It is really hard to say if that is a good deal or not... within the last couple of month Olivetree had it on sale for $399 and while it has been a while since we have seen it at that price here, one might argue if they allow their own software such a sale they may allow others to offer it at a better price in the future. I have no crystal ball... The current sale price might be the best one offered for a while or in the fall a better one might come (Faithlife may not even know as occasionally Zondervan releases a sale pricing to it's partners and they have little notice. Indeed from what I heard on one of the last sales from Zondervan I was told by someone over at Accordance they only had a couple weeks notice (might have been only several says all I can remember for certain is it was a short period of warning). This is a fair price for a really good series... will a better one be offered soon... I would hope so but that is SIMPLY HOPE. Grab the free volume for sure look it over and decide if it is something you really want and can use.. It is one of my most used commentaries but we are all different.

-dan

Posts 23
Eric Back | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 3:27 PM

My experience with WBC is that the quality is not consistent across every every volume and that there is more value in purchasing the better volumes individually when they come on sale. Some people like sets, and I have purchased a couple of them, but I generally prefer to focus on individual volumes that come well recommended in reviews.

There may be some tutorials on youtube. There are also some great videos based on Logos 4 on Mark Barnes' website: https://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/

Posts 3037
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:45 PM

James Amos:
saw that the WBC was on sale for $830 and was wondering if I should jump on it or will it be on sale for a better price soon?

~$850 is a typical sale price for WBC. The lowest it's been on sale for in the last few years is $399 (in May 2017), but that steep a discount doesn't occur very often.

Please note that Zondervan rarely offers dynamic pricing, so if you do buy a few volumes now, you might not get a discount for the volumes you already own if you decide to buy the rest of the set later.

Posts 27133
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:00 PM

Generally the cheapest way to pick up commentaries is through a base package purchase. All indications are that new packages will be out by fall. I’d wait. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9041
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:13 PM

James Amos:
I've had Logos7 silver package for a few years now, but have never really gotten into using it much. Recently I started seminary and have found I will be in the need for some good commentaries and saw that the WBC was on sale for $830 and was wondering if I should jump on it or will it be on sale for a better price soon? I know I need the Genesis Vol 1 this semester but not sure which others I will need in the future. I have a couple of commentaries that are physical form but might be looking to start doing more on the computer. They also have the Ecclesiastes for free this month along with John for $10 and Exodus $5.

Let me add something different to this conversation. It is almost certain that Logos 8 will be released this fall. When that happens, Faithlife will offer new Libraries of resources, and we'll all have a chance to upgrade our libraries at a very favorable price. It is possible that you could upgrade to Gold or Platinum for the roughly $800 you'll have after buying Genesis (Platinum might cost a bit more than that). While we don't know what will be in those packages, it might be possible that a number of good commentaries could be included. Word has never been in a base package so it's unlikely to be in one for Logos 8, but Pillar, Baker Exegetical, Blacks, New International Greek Testament, and New American all have been in libraries in the past and are commentaries a pastor would want to have.

You'd be taking a chance, but upgrades have been some of the best ways to add a lot of good material at the lowest possible price in the past.

James Amos:
Where is a good place to view videos on layouts and how to best use Logos? 

The best free place is https://www.logos.com/logos-pro Logos' official trainer is Morris Proctor. His info is here: http://mpseminars.com/ 

Logos Forum MVP Mark Barnes did a series of very good videos based on Logos 4: https://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/ They are still valuable even though new features have been released since then.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1818
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:39 PM

Hold your shopping completely!.... New base packages are coming. This is the cheapest way to buy resources.

Posts 261
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:52 PM

James, I have a slightly different take. In my opinion, the best thing to do depends on several factors that only you can answer.  First, I agree with those who advise you to wait because you might get more really good commentaries for the same price. That is true. You very well might. However, the WBC is well worth $830 (it was only sale for around $700 a few months ago) but that price is certainly in the ballpark of a good deal for what you get. That is a well respected set that you can cite in your academic papers for seminary and you will find valuable for years to come in preparation for weekly preaching and teaching. That wouldn't be a "bad" choice.

Do you take a very good (but maybe not best) deal on a well respected commentary set that you know you will use or do you wait and spend that money on a Logos 8 package with the hope (maybe likelihood) that you will get more good stuff for you money - but you won't know what that more good stuff is until after WBC isn't on sale.

That is your choice. I could argue it either way. You will find these forums a valuable rejoice and you will find yourself using Logos more and more and more. Keep studying!

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:58 AM

I would agree that WBC volumes are of varying quality indeed in my mind the free volume is one of the poorer ones, that said to me the vast majority of the WBC are of top quality and for me offer more value than the the highly lauded NIC (which for me is one to mine out some of the gems and not consider the rest). We are all quite different as I said before if he finds the Ecclesiastes volume useful and valuable I would dare say he would be very happy with the entire set although it is missing a few volumes it's nearly a complete look at the Bible from a critical, yet very respectful viewpoint. 

-dan

Posts 476
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 4:13 PM

Greg Corbin:
WBC is well worth $830 (it was only sale for around $700 a few months ago)

There was a KILLER sale last May where it was $400.  I don't see that happening again any time soon, though.  If you are set on it, there is a resale Facebook page that *might* have someone looking to sell their set, but that is a hit or miss. If there is a specific book or passage you are interested in looking at in the WBC, someone may be able to post an excerpt for you to discern if the information is valuable or not.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS