Church Fathers on sale

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 508
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 6:14 AM

Very Nice - I've got them all so no advantage for me, but good opportunity for others to grab some - good one, FL Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 1295
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 8:11 AM

I took Ephraim's commentaries. The reason is that he lived in the area close to the Paradise Paradise. Others may have more educated opinions.

https://www.logos.com/product/120450/st-ephrem-the-syrian-selected-prose-works 

Ephraim the Syrian (c. AD 306–373) was a fourth-century theologian and hymnographer, and is a doctor in the Catholic Church. Born in Nisibis, near Edessa, he was converted to Christianity by Bishop Jacob of Nisibis and appointed a teacher. He lived in Nisibis until AD 363, and then went to Edessa for eight years to teach at the School of Edessa. Over 400 hymns composed by Ephraim still exist, hymns which he used to teach doctrine and to warn of heresy. His poetry garnered him the titles of “Lyre of the Holy Ghost” and “Prophet of the Syrians.” Ephraim also wrote homilies and prose, of which far fewer manuscripts have survived.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 571
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 8:55 AM

Is there a list anywhere of what is included in these that isn't included in the 'Early Church Fathers' set?

Posts 1768
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 9:06 AM

Stephen Steele:

Is there a list anywhere of what is included in these that isn't included in the 'Early Church Fathers' set?

I have the same question

Posts 9396
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 10:29 AM

Thank you, Jan.

I picked up another apostolic translation, defense of Origen, and the hagiographies.

Posts 5106
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 10:44 AM

Of the 127 volume set I could get the remaining 24 volumes I don't have for $186 but I am not sure if I will get them this sale or not but thanks for pointing out the deep savings.

-Dan

Posts 34
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 11:20 AM

What do you think are the chances they include the set with Logos 8 Platinum or Diamond? I want to buy a number of the volumes, but I wonder if this set in particular is on sale because it is about to be bundled into a new base package, and I'd rather not buy it now and then find it it would have been included with something I will be buying soon.

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 12:59 PM

The full set is currently in Verbum Portfolio, Standard Portfolio and  Collector’s Edition.

David Sloan:

What do you think are the chances they include the set with Logos 8 Platinum or Diamond? I want to buy a number of the volumes, but I wonder if this set in particular is on sale because it is about to be bundled into a new base package, and I'd rather not buy it now and then find it it would have been included with something I will be buying soon.

Posts 4
Jeff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 1:33 PM

I'm really excited about this sale as I find the normal price of these volumes to be way out of my budget. I'm looking to pick up about 4. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the most critical texts? I have an affinity for St. Augustine and the topics of prayer/spirituality but am open. I'll paste what I already own below. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thank you!

Dialogues by Saint Gregory the Great

St. Gregory of Nazianzus: Select Orations

Early Christian Biographies

Saint Ambrose: Letters

Saint Ambrose: Theological and Dogmatic Works

St. Leo the Great: Letters

Saint Augustine: The City of God, Books I–XXII

St. Augustine on Faith and Works

St. Augustine: Faith, Hope and Charity

St. Justin Martyr: The First and Second Apologies

Posts 34
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 2:20 PM

doc:

The full set is currently in Verbum Portfolio, Standard Portfolio and  Collector’s Edition.

I forgot that this is in Logos 7. Portfolio was out of my price range. But maybe that makes it less likely that it will be in Logos 8!

Posts 8872
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 9:23 AM

2 FotC-volumes for $0,16; beat that if you can! Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 54
LogosEmployee

Hi all, glad that you're enjoying this sale! 

There are a few other collections you might like on this page as well. 

Posts 56
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 12:39 AM

Mark:

Stephen Steele:

I have the same question

Same here. Any major volumes that I might be missing? I picked up John of Damascus' writings since it contains his list of heresies which the Early Church Fathers' set does not have

Posts 9396
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 9:18 AM

I doubt of interest to most potential money spenders. But the translation language appears to favor the Catholic vocabulary. That's in contrast to other Catholic writers using more centerred choices.

This sounds picky but not intended. I like to not have to repeatedly see what word is actually beneath the translation. If I know ahead, then I'm ok. So for example, Lightfoot's translations in the mid-1800s are similar to this series. And understandably so.

I did pick up another Justin from Christina's ref (though his modern day marketers seem to be moving him earlier than he'd probably prefer).

Posts 38
Brian Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 4:19 AM

Stephen Steele:

Is there a list anywhere of what is included in these that isn't included in the 'Early Church Fathers' set?

I'm wondering the same! However, I found this collection: https://www.logos.com/product/128325/logos-7-church-fathers-library-expansion-xl

There are some works on here that are crossovers with the Schaff set, but it seems like most of them are not. Can anyone else confirm?

Posts 228
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 6:40 AM

I haven't found that kind of list anywhere. Someone should make a comparison of these sets.

I made a quick searc from the overview texts and found mentions, that these texts (or portions of them) are published in English for the first time in this set. (There may be errors in this list and I guess there's even more that are not included in the ECF, but I don't have time to check these more closely now.)

Origen: Commentary on the Gospel According to John, Books 13–32
Origen: Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, Books 1–5
Origen: Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, Books 6–10
Origen: Homilies on Judges
Origen: Homilies on Luke

Saint Pamphilus and Rufinus: Apology for Origen: with On the Falsification of the Books of Origen

Barsanuphius and John: Letters

Iberian Fathers, vol. 1: Writings of Martin of Braga, Paschasius of Dumium, and Leander of Seville

Fulgentius and the Scythian Monks: Correspondence on Christology and Grace

Fulgentius: Selected Works

Oecumenius: Commentary on the Apocalypse

Augustine of Hippo: Letters, Volume 6 (1*–29*)
Augustine of Hippo: The Retractations

Theodore of Mopsuestia: Commentary on the Twelve Prophets

Didymus the Blind: Commentary On Zechariah

Gregory of Nazianzus: Select Orations

John Chrysostom: Homilies on Genesis

Theodoret of Cyrus: Commentary on the Psalms

Saint Jerome: Commentary on Matthew

Hilary of Poitiers: Commentary on Matthew

Pope Leo the Great: Sermons

(Gregory Thaumaturgus: Life and Works)

(Augustine of Hippo: Four Anti-Pelagian Writings)

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS