Piper sermon archive: Why or why not?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 56
WR82 | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 21 2018 5:51 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/43127/the-john-piper-sermon-archive 

If you have this, how do you use it? I really enjoy John Piper’s teaching but I am on the fence.

Would buying a few of his books that interest me be better?

If you have not purchased? Why not?

I know these are online, similar to MacArthur’s sermons. 

thanks- WR82

Posts 1795
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 6:56 PM

Hmm... kinda tough to determine the value because all his sermons are also available online, both written, audio + video sometimes.

The advantage to have it in Logos for me is just for a quick reminder, from just looking at the title of the passages I'm searching kinda helps me what John Piper was focusing on on the the passage. (I have too many "sermon archiveS", with no time to read all)

If you love to read than listening to the audio, then the sermon archive is good for you. (for me it's faster finishing it by reading than listening to the audio, because I can highlight the the one-liners stuffs)

The problem with John Piper's Sermon Archive is that it doesn't have a link to will take you to the DesiringGod.com website to listen to the audio at the end of every sermons. (vs. MacArthur's sermon). You have to manually go there and enter the book and chapter.

So, I don't know. If money is an issue just wait.

If I were you, I'll wait till July when Logos 8 is coming... I'm pretty sure it's gonna get bundled with a base package somewhere. Your price of the archive would be around $2-6

Hope that helps.

Posts 5935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 3:25 AM
Why is everybody saying L8 is coming in July? Nobody really knows. Last time it came out in August and the times before that end of October or beginning of November. As far as Piper goes, it’s a good resource. I have it both in Logos and Accordance, but Accordance is cheaper ($29.99). So it’s up to you, really. DAL
Posts 24
Chris Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 5:57 AM

I haven't found the Piper archive all that insightful or helpful. But, then again... I'm not a huge fan of his preaching. The Adrian Rogers archive is more exegetically focused... the J.D. Greear archive (though sometimes cut/ paste from Keller) is often my favorite. But, if your set on Piper... purchase his books. Just my 2 cents.

Posts 938
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:53 AM

I use Piper's sermons  a lot.  You can find them online, mostly, and I would say the transcripts are about 90% of what you hear him preach.

Personally, I can read and absorb it faster than listening to it, and its on the Logos platform so its always available.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. 

Posts 2691
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 11:38 AM

I have the resource because I use Piper's sermons a lot. But in hindsight, since they are free on desiringgod.org, I should have used the money on something else. It is pretty simple to pull any you need from the websight and make them into a PB.

They are also incomplete. Another user has compiled his missing sermons into a word docx file and made it available in the forums to compile as a PB.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2887
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 12:48 PM

I personally have found the Piper archive a worthwhile investment for me over the years. I purchased it when it was first released. The benefit lies in the searchability with Logos. These are indeed available online but the reality is that most of the times when I have found helpful insights in Piper's sermons, I wouldn't have known to look (or wouldn't have taken the time to search the DesiringGod archive). The sermons autopopulate my Passage Guide which is part of my process of studying a passage after I've done my own exegesis. I also sometimes search all my Piper resources with some searches that simply aren't possible on Google, but only work within Logos (ie proximity searches to verse ranges). 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 435
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 2:22 PM

Chris Miller:
But, if your set on Piper... purchase his books. Just my 2 cents.

This just in... John Piper FLASH SALE!? Are "they" spying on these forums?  Saw this in another forum post.

Might be worth a look... $50 for 10 books https://www.logos.com/product/42757/john-piper-christian-life-and-ministry-collection 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Silver

Posts 5935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 2:47 PM

Just a thought 💭 some of his books come from his sermons. I have found this to be the case on Thoughts of a Christian Hedonist and other writings. So you might be getting many of his books (all or parts) in his sermon archive.

DAL

Posts 5935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2018 11:55 AM

Richard Villanueva:

Chris Miller:

This just in... John Piper FLASH SALE!? Are "they" spying on these forums?  Saw this in another forum post.

Might be worth a look... $50 for 10 books https://www.logos.com/product/42757/john-piper-christian-life-and-ministry-collection 

$30 for me with dynamic pricing; so I went ahead and got them. They have a more organized format.

DAL

Posts 2887
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2018 2:15 PM

DAL:

Richard Villanueva:

Chris Miller:

$30 for me with dynamic pricing; so I went ahead and got them. They have a more organized format.

DAL

In my experience, John Piper's books are even more valuable in Logos than in print because of the availability of hovering over verses, notetaking, and word lookups etc. 

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 562
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2018 3:37 PM

Richard Villanueva:

Chris Miller:

Thanks for this. I had to go for it as well :-)

Trying to be as noble as a Berean , Acts 17:11

Posts 2887
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 10:02 AM

fwiw, Christianaudio.com is having a big Piper sale as well. So you can get an audiobook to listen to while you read in Logos

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS