What is the best Christian resource on dinosaurs?

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3378
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 27 2018 6:34 AM

I am looking for a scholarly treatment of the question. I am not interested in vague references to Behemoth and Leviathan or endless questioning of datation, allegations of fraud, etc. I am interested in a resource that takes the evidence seriously and deals with it with scholarly rigour in relation to the Christian faith and creationism.

Put differently I am not looking for a book that makes Christians feel good and think they're okay. I am more interested in a resource that would be a compelling case for a critically-minded unbeliever. 

Any recommendation (preferably in Logos)?

Posts 527
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 6:48 AM

Francis:

I am looking for a scholarly treatment of the question. I am not interested in vague references to Behemoth and Leviathan or endless questioning of datation, allegations of fraud, etc. I am interested in a resource that takes the evidence seriously and deals with it with scholarly rigour in relation to the Christian faith and creationism.

Put differently I am not looking for a book that makes Christians feel good and think they're okay. I am more interested in a resource that would be a compelling case for a critically-minded unbeliever. 

Francis

I've long been interested in Genesis 1-11 issues. I'm finding Hugh Ross the most satisfying. I haven't read him on dinosaurs as such, but it might be worth checking out the index previews. He is an old earth creationist.

Posts 2589
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 7:59 AM

Francis:
I am interested in a resource that takes the evidence seriously and deals with it with scholarly rigour in relation to the Christian faith and creationism.

I have a fairly good collection of these type of books on my shelves (40-50 or so).  Pretty much none of them are available in Logos.

Depending on your view of scripture and/or worldview, it won't be possible for you to feel good with some of the stuff out there, and it won't be possible for you to not feel good with other stuff. The same is true of your "critically-minded unbeliever." That person will feel good about what supports their own worldview and won't like what opposes it. There's no free lunch on this issue, and in my experience, a "compelling case" is not possible without the faith to back it up (and that faith is essential for any of the sides in the debate, including the completely secular neo-darwinian side).

Good luck!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 106
Nick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 8:03 AM

Depending on your creation timeline...  (and walking the line of keeping theology out of this forum)...

The Hebrew scriptures should be silent about dinosaurs (indeed, they are!) because they never crossed paths with one.  They were dead long before humankind.

If your creation timeline is much shorter... well... good luck!

Posts 371
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:04 AM

www.creation.com

Posts 1761
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:22 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I've long been interested in Genesis 1-11 issues. I'm finding Hugh Ross the most satisfying. I haven't read him on dinosaurs as such, but it might be worth checking out the index previews. He is an old earth creationist.

I second that suggestion.

Here are a number of articles on dinosaurs by Hugh Ross:

https://www.reasons.org/explore/publications/rtb-101/dinosaurs

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Christian Debate|Free Books List|Logos Price Alerts

Posts 9271
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 10:55 AM

Francis:

I guess I'd wonder your need for the word 'Christian' vs 'Biblical' or similar (no offense). I only pose the question, since a tight reading or loose reading is largely a denominational thing.  What is a day? Or what is a light? Hebrew from long, long ago.

And 'dinosaurs' are obvious but a tiny subset of the evidence of 'something' ... everything from petrified trees, to tiny insects. And one need not even have to deal with millions of years. Logically anything over 7,000 years or so is at issue.

Answering, I've not seen a good discussion.  One of my favorites is 'Oxygen; the Molecule That Made the World' (Lane). The issue it looks at is the common denominator of the whole thing (a terrible poison that fuels life, beginning to end).

Posts 17216
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 12:36 PM

Francis:
I am interested in a resource that takes the evidence seriously and deals with it with scholarly rigour in relation to the Christian faith and creationism.

Chapter 4 "Signs of Design" in God's Crime Scene includes:

EFFICIENCY/IRREDUCIBLE COMPLEXITY

The natural mechanisms of strict evolutionary processes can’t explain the flagellum for an important reason: these processes can’t account for efficient, irreducibly complex micro-machines. Darwinian evolution requires a gradual and incremental pathway to any finished micro-machine. Like complex structures built from Lego building blocks, sophisticated micro-machines, if assembled through an additive process of natural selection, must come into existence incrementally—“block by block.”

Wallace, J. W. (2015). God’s crime scene: a cold-case detective examines the evidence for a divinely created universe. Colorado Springs, CO: David C. Cook.

J. Warner Wallace, a detective, also authored Cold-Case Christianity and Cold-Case Christianity for Kids

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17216
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 12:44 PM

Francis:

Henry Morris has several Logos resources => https://www.logos.com/products/search?Author=6527%7cHenry+M.+Morris and ebook => Exploring the Evidence for Creation: Reasons to Believe the Biblical Account

Thankful for a printed Henry Morris Study Bible.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 880
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 1:09 PM

If you want a view of the broader issues that is critical but still takes Scripture seriously, I'd recommend Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology by John Walton.  Or if you want something that doesn't take as long to read, he has The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate.

Posts 3378
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 3:05 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Posts 4164
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 6:13 AM

'A Church History of Scotland' without doubt.

Posts 8133
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 6:17 AM

Mike Binks:

Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2589
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 6:49 AM

Mike Binks:

Mike is the daily winner of the internet.

Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2415
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 7:28 AM

The website Answers in Genesis along with Creation.com are great spots

Posts 527
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2018 11:06 PM

Francis:

Francis. Further to my suggestion of Hugh Ross I see this book has a chapter on dinosaurs.

https://www.logos.com/product/43281/hidden-treasures-in-the-book-of-job-how-the-oldest-book-in-the-bible-answers-todays-scientific-questions

Posts 527
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 12:43 AM

Hidden Treasures is currently on sale, but unfortunately not in Logos because of the added value and therefore non-price matching policy.

Posts 23391
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 5:13 PM

The Dinosaur Dilemma: Fact or Fantasy is a young-earth, Christian view of dinosaurs i.e. they co-existed with man.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 68
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 6:40 PM

I understand what you are asking about, however, let me offer an alternative perspective. The question of dinosaurs is a scientific question about paleontology. Because the geological, astronomical, and paleontological  evidence is clear and irrefutable, as believers it’s time to except the evidence of science. The universe is 14.3 billion years old, and the earth 4.5 billion years old. And the  dinosaurs lived 66 to 250,000,000 years ago. In fact, the T-Rex is closer in time to us than the Stegosaurus. With that, the best resource is a paleontology book on dinosaurs. Unfortunately, Christians don’t write those very often.

I love my Christian brothers who have a different perspective on the timeline of creation. But Answers in Genesis is simply deceiving fellow believers from the truth God has made apparent to those who look.  And I like the recommendations of John Walton’s Works. 

Posts 485
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2018 8:30 PM

Rick Carmickle:

I understand what you are asking about, however, let me offer an alternative perspective. The question of dinosaurs is a scientific question about paleontology. Because the geological, astronomical, and paleontological  evidence is clear and irrefutable, as believers it’s time to except the evidence of science. The earth is 14.3 billion years old, and the earth 4.5 billion years old. And the  dinosaurs lived 66 to 250,000,000 years ago. In fact, the T Rex is closer in time to us than the Stegosaurus. With that, the best resource is a paleontology book on dinosaurs. Unfortunately, Christians don’t write those very often.

I love my Christian brothers who have a different perspective on the timeline of creation. But Answers in Genesis is simply deceiving fellow believers from the truth God has made a parent to those who look.  And I like the recommendations of John Walton’s Works. 

This. I second this.

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS