Error Report in Logos Atlas

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Timothy Pintello | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 7 2018 12:39 PM

Logos Typos,

On the map in Logos Atlas labeled “Paul and Barnabas Return to Antioch in Syria” it shows Paul and Barnabas’ route leaving Perga going directly to Antioch in Syria. However, Acts 14:25 says they left Perga and went to Attalia and Acts 14:26 says they sailed from Attalia to Antioch. The related verses are below.

Acts 14:25–26 (HCSB)

25 After they spoke the message in Perga, they went down to Attalia.

26 From there they sailed back to Antioch where they had been entrusted to the grace of God for the work they had now completed.

A similar mistake is made in the map titled “Paul and Barnabas to Perga, Mark Departs”. In this map you show the route going directly to Perga from Cyprus instead of first arriving in Attalia. While the relevant verses don’t mention them going to Attalia first, based on the way the roads and ports were laid out in Paul’s day they would have to arrive at the port of Attalia and then walk to Perga, much like they did on the way back as described in the verses above.

Attalia was the only port associated with Perga. My understanding is that this was by design when they built Perga. They built Perga inland to avoid pirates and then used the small port of Attalia for commerce. Similar arrangements were setup between Antioch in Syria and the port of Seleucia, and Rome and the port city of Ostia

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Timothy Pintello

Posts 996
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 3:37 PM

Timothy:

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the feedback! I see your point: we'll review this and update the map as necessary.

Posts 4
LogosEmployee
Ben Vander Woude | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 2:23 PM

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your feedback. Below is a summary of what has happened in this space.

Regarding the map "Paul and Barnabas Return to Antioch in Syria" (desktop | web):

• We've updated the Perga related path in this map. This path now goes through Attalia.

Regarding the map "Paul and Barnabas to Perga, Mark Departs" (desktop | web):

• We've chosen not to update the Perga paths on this map as our designer (Dr. Barry Beitzel) thinks everyone arrived and departed Perga using the Cestrus/Aksu river. Beitzel's exact words on this matter are...

"The harbor of Perga lay about 7 miles upstream on the Cestrus (Aksu) river, from the coast; presumably Paul's ship from Paphos simply traveled to the coast and then also traveled up the river, in much the same way that Cleopatra's ships could navigate the Cydnus river the whole way inland to the city of Tarsus; before those rivers became silted, they served as nautical corridors; in fact, Strabo speaks of traveling upstream even beyond Perga."

Posts 2
Timothy Pintello | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 4:30 PM

Hi Sean and Ben,

Thank you for letting me know what is being done here. I really appreciate that you let me know and that you acted on feedback I sent you.

I have been a logos user since Logos 1.6 which was before the whole LLS system you came up with. I was also adopted Logos 2.0 when it first came out. I was in seminary at the time. I have used and updated Logos faithfully every since then.

Regards,

Timothy Pintello

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS