*Log question: How to tell what resource was removed from my library?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2768
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2018 5:39 AM

Is there a way to tell from the logs what resource was removed from my library today? It was not a temporary license, I checked the count of those. I searched in the library for temporary, deleted, and removed words, no luck. My library dropped by 1 in count today, I am wondering why.

This is on a Mac, so the library compare utility that was written quite a while ago does not work here.

Thanks.

Posts 2768
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 4:05 PM

Anyone have an idea?

Posts 25884
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 8:18 PM

Don Awalt:
It was not a temporary license, I checked the count of those.

A "count" isn't likely to be helpful. You may have had "8 trial resources" in June, replaced by "7 trial resources" in July. The end result would be that your system removed 8, added 7 for a net loss of 1. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 23184
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 9:47 PM

Don Awalt:
It was not a temporary license, I checked the count of those.

If you track that with license:temp in Library Find box, you may be correct; which means that a book with a permanent license was removed!? Try the command update resources to see if any are missing (they will be downloaded).

If you receive monthly preview resources (temporary license) it can be difficult to keep track of overall resource count. I tag these with the month to help keep track of things, but I also tag 6-monthly Course resources I can get with my subscription. This helps distinguish temp resources that are part of the subscription, or part of a free library.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2768
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 4:49 AM

Yes I watch it, and it was definitely a resource with a permanent license that was removed. Thanks Alabama, I tried the update resources and it did not change. Boy that is frustrating and really not very professional to remove resources without some acknowledgement of it. What if it was done by mistake? IT's not a practice that builds trust IMHO. 

I was hoping there was a confirmation in the log file like "deleting resource..." or "removing license,..." but I guess not?

Posts 2768
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2018 4:27 AM

Just keep this in mind everyone, with a flick of a switch inadvertently or not, you will no longer have those resources that you think are safe in your library. There is no accountability of these actions if they happen, no chance for recourse or to correct a mistake. And when you ask about it, all you'll hear is crickets chirping.

Posts 1433
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2018 7:07 AM

Don Awalt:
There is no accountability of these actions if they happen, no chance for recourse or to correct a mistake.

I am not denying that you have had customer experience(s) that have brought you to this conclusion. However, my experience over the last 10 years is that Bob and his team are eager to correct any mistakes that they can.

Perhaps a call to customer service where they can view archives of your licenses and resources could reveal why the resource count declined by one. Perhaps it is something as simple as a merged datatype where the same content is still available yet with one less "resource"

Posts 1888
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2018 7:37 AM

Hi Don,

I did notice that some resources that are "preview" come over as permanent initially and then are switched, correctly, to temporary. I have every book in my library tagged. When new books come over, if they are temporary, I leave them untagged and can easily keep track of them. I am not saying you did not lose a "permanent" resource, just that sometimes tags for temporary resources change.

I do think Logos should provide a way to see any changes made to your library that the user does not initiate so as to remove any confusion. A simple log with a link to open it from the help file would suffice.

I am interested to see what you discover.

Posts 7352
LogosEmployee

Don Awalt:
Is there a way to tell from the logs what resource was removed from my library today?

Probably yes; did you save the log file from the day the resource was removed?

Posts 7352
LogosEmployee

Don Awalt:
It was not a temporary license, I checked the count of those. I searched in the library for temporary, deleted, and removed words, no luck. My library dropped by 1 in count today, I am wondering why.

What were your resource counts (in permanent and temporary) before and after the change?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS