BUG in library slowing things down???

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 23 2018 12:40 AM
  1. I opened the Library from the icon on the task bar. It was set to Basic Verbum/Logos library when it opened ... which is my normal setting that excludes much of Perseus and Text Creation Partnership.
  2. The count shown is for All; the Basic collection is a bit over 14,000
  3. I entered a filter which is taking "forever" to complete ... perhaps because it is scanning too many resources? There is no indication of indexing however synchronization is occurring periodically
  4. The dread spinner ... spinning ... and spinning

3833.Verbum Log Files.zip

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2629
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 4:03 PM

MJ,

I'm sorry you are experiencing performance issues. I'm having trouble reproducing this. What do you mean by "forever", do you have any idea of how long it is taking to filter? Also is this consistent? Thanks.

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 5:15 PM

When I say "forever" I mean > 5 minutes ... often >10 minutes by which time I have left my desk to do other things. Is it consistent? Yes and no ... it happens off and on during a significant indexing. I can be working successfully for 30 minutes then suddenly it becomes unusable for 20-30 minutes then it works well ... until the next "stall".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8006
LogosEmployee

I'm seeing a huge amount of activity in your log files, mostly related to visual filters in resources. Some examples:

(13.01s) Populating filter cache for who, waht, when , where, why, how | LLS:1.0.50
(6655ms) Populating filter cache for "cond","quest" | LLS:GRTMENWOMEN01
(10m 49.1s) Populating filter cache for {Label Figurative Language WHERE Category ~ <flcat Dysphemism>} | LLS:1.0.50
(35.25s) Populating filter cache for <LN1> ANDEQUALS (island,isle,land,moon,mount,mountain,pasture,path,pit) | LLS:1.0.50
(35.32s) Populating filter cache for stop, begin, start, finish, "carry on", cease, take, leave, enter, come, go, arrive | LLS:GRTMENWOMEN01
(40.47s) Populating filter cache for argue, proof, prove, demonstrate, justify, establish, determine | LLS:LEGNDSJEWS

There are hundreds of lines like this.

Unfortunately, as previously discussed on the forums, even disabled visual filters in resources use up system resources. IIRC, you don't have a SSD, so running all these queries will be extremely demanding on your HDD and is very likely slowing everything down.

Potential solutions:

1. Buy a SSD
  2. Delete these visual filter documents
  3. Close unnecessary resource panels
  4. If you don't want to delete the VFs, you can temporarily disable them by change the target resource to one that you never open.
Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:05 AM

Ah - an explanation that makes sense ... I'm starting to think about an SSD but ...

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 11:18 AM

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Reddit.com, but there is a section dedicated to people posting PC hardware sales. You can sort it by hardware type. I've sorted it by SSD. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=SSD&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search 

There is a website called PCPartpicker.com  that people use to spec out a machine. It's helpful for letting you know if you're running into any glaring problems with your build before you purchase parts. Here's a link to the SSD list https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#t=0.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS