Your notes are coming to the web app

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 52 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1793
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:16 AM

For any FL people (Phil? Adam?), or any of the beta users of the new Notes tool...

Can you explain how highlighting will work in the new system? By "highlighting" I strictly mean highlighting for the purpose of highlighting, not visual cues to the existence of a note that might take the form of highlighting.

In the current implementation, highlights were force-fit into notes documents, a design decision that always seemed curious to me. In the new system, is the approach for highlighting still analogous to the current system? If so, are current notes documents that exist just to contain highlights getting migrated? And do those highlights show up in the new app? If not, how will highlighting work? And will current highlights be migrated so that they "just work" in the new app?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 19832
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:34 AM

Donnie Hale:
or any of the beta users of the new Notes tool...

I'm running the beta test of the Notes tool in Logos 7 (both stable and beta releases of L7). Screenshots below are from the stable release of L7.

Both Notes and Highlights show up in the Notes Tool - but they are recognised as different types

If I select the Highlights facet then the Notes Tool just shows my highlights

Donnie Hale:
If so, are current notes documents that exist just to contain highlights getting migrated? And do those highlights show up in the new app?

Yes and yes - the highlights in the screenshot above were created under the "old system" and then migrated across.

And with the faceted browsing capability - on the left - I can easily focus down on particular resources etc. So to see all my highlights in Exodus I select that facet

And if I select some text in a resource I can choose to either create a note or add a highlight as shown

Does this help? And did I miss anything?

Posts 2435
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:40 AM

Graham Criddle:
Both Notes and Highlights show up in the Notes Tool - but they are recognised as different types

Nice improvement!

Thanks, Graham, for explanation and the screenshots.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:32 PM

No I did not miss it Phil it is just not clear what Logos Desktop Notes will look like the morning after Logos 8 is released for Logos Connect members and our software has updated to Logos 8. Thank you for bearing with me in my questions.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

doc:
When Logos 8 is released will all of my note that are based on custom highlights be visible  in the resource I created them i.e. will custom highlights be functioning as they do now when Logos 8 is released or are you going to break peoples notes intentionally. It’s a fairly simple question.

Perhaps you missed it when I responded to your initial inquiry about custom highlight styles: "There are planned improvements coming, including custom styles." To be more explicit: yes, we are planning to have support for custom highlight styles before the new notes system ships out of beta.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:34 PM

Will do tonight when I am home and on PC.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I'm not sure what you mean by "disconnect between my resources, notes and highlights." Are you saying you're not seeing them in your resources? If so, make sure to check your Notes and Highlights visual filters.

Doc, can you shed some light on this for me? This seems to be your biggest concern, and I'm not sure what it means. Can you help? We can't address it if we don't understand what you're seeing. Can you provide a screenshot? Thanks.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 8:34 PM

Phil I hope this makes it clearer to you my concern. Apologies it took a little bit longer to get back to you.

Posts 1564
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 11:33 PM

doc:

Phil I hope this makes it clearer to you my concern. Apologies it took a little bit longer to get back to you.

No worries. Thanks for getting back to me. Now I understand. It looks to me like that's a custom highlight style. Support for those is coming soon. When we add support, you'll be able to see them in the new system just like you can in the current one.

If you're having trouble seeing built-in styles, make sure you're Notes and Highlights visual filters are turned on.

Posts 1564
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 11:37 PM

doc:
it is just not clear what Logos Desktop Notes will look like the morning after Logos 8 is released for Logos Connect members and our software has updated to Logos 8.

I'm sorry it wasn't clearer. Our goal is to make as seamless and smooth of a transition as possible so that everything is exactly as you expect it to be!

doc:
Thank you for bearing with me in my questions.

You're welcome. Glad we got it sorted out together.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 2:41 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Now I understand. It looks to me like that's a custom highlight style. Support for those is coming soon. When we add support, you'll be able to see them in the new system just like you can in the current one.

Ok now you understand what I am talking about, I need to get you to understand my question because you haven't answered it yet. When Logos 8 is released will all Logos Connect members be moved on to the new notes tool, not just those signed up for the beta, and if they are will custom highlighting be working ?

My point is that if it is not working you should not be moving people over to the new notes system without their consent. And downloading Logos 8 is not consent since Logos Connect members will get it, unless they turned off internet updates as the only way to remain on current notes system in Logos 7 which is not an acceptable solution because they could not download any new resources they might purchases.

So now you understand what I am talking about and with my additional clarification here as to the what and why of my question, can you finally answer it at this point Phil ?

Posts 19832
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 2:55 AM

Hi Doc

Just to comment that my understanding is that even when people on the stable channel have access to the new Notes Tool, they will still have access to the current system as well. 

I don’t expect this to be the case long-term but thought it was worth pointing out.

But I appreciate this doesn’t address the specific question you are asking Phil

Posts 981
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:04 AM

Graham Criddle:
my understanding is that even when people on the stable channel have access to the new Notes Tool, they will still have access to the current system as well

There was a recent comment by Phil(?) that the old system would continue to be supported on L7 and older clients, which could imply that L8 would not support the old system. I'm not sure whether this is the case, but I believe that this is Doc's concern. As a FLC member who has automatic updates turned on, he will receive L8 automatically and fears the potential consequences. 

doc:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Now I understand. It looks to me like that's a custom highlight style. Support for those is coming soon. When we add support, you'll be able to see them in the new system just like you can in the current one.

Ok now you understand what I am talking about, I need to get you to understand my question because you haven't answered it yet. When Logos 8 is released will all Logos Connect members be moved on to the new notes tool, not just those signed up for the beta, and if they are will custom highlighting be working?

You're actually asking two questions. Phil has reasonably (IMO) assured you on your second question, thereby rendering the first question largely irrelevant.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:44 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
You're actually asking two questions.

Reuben I have one question only have worded as two parts to make it clear what I am talking about.

Reuben Helmuth:
Phil has reasonably (IMO) assured you on your second question.

Reuben he has not answered the second question, as you call it, adequately at all in terms of timing and so this make the first question very relevant  and should be a concern to any Logos Connect member about what will happen to their notes in the desktop application when Logos 8 is released. It is not acceptable to be forced onto the new notes system if custom highlighting issues is not resolved at the time Logos 8 is released if the new note system is going to be pushed onto connect members and so far Phil hasn't answered this at all, he has danced around it with general broad stroke answers and not a direct answer to the question. 

Reuben Helmuth:
endering the first question largely irrelevant.

Reuben it is not your place to tell determine a fellow user's question is irrelevant. It may be irrelevant to you, and in that case you should not comment and move on to the next thread, but it is a very relevant question to me.  

Regardless of your option I am still waiting for Phil to answer my question and hope he is able to get back to me after the weekend is past.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:46 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Doc

Just to comment that my understanding is that even when people on the stable channel have access to the new Notes Tool, they will still have access to the current system as well. 

I don’t expect this to be the case long-term but thought it was worth pointing out.

But I appreciate this doesn’t address the specific question you are asking Phil

Thanks Graham for trying to assist, I understand that is the case currently but Phil has made statements that are not clear as to what is happening when Logos 8 is released which is what I am trying to get some clarity upon.

Posts 1451
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 8:37 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We haven't built exporting functionality yet, so we're not 100% sure how it'll work. We may limit exporting to notebooks. A note can be in only one notebook. You could perhaps add all your notes to the same notebook and export them.

What use cases would you want to solve for with exporting?

I want to be able to filter notes by a Bible chapter/verse Range, and export all those notes. I don't want to be limited to exporting notebooks... my hope would be to not have to really use notebooks hardly at all.

That way I can take notes in the software in preparation for a class or a homily, then simply export the verse range of notes into Word or whatever I'm using to finalize preparation of the class or homily.

Posts 1564
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 5:04 PM

doc:
When Logos 8 is released will all Logos Connect members be moved on to the new notes tool, not just those signed up for the beta, and if they are will custom highlighting be working ?

. . .

So now you understand what I am talking about and with my additional clarification here as to the what and why of my question, can you finally answer it at this point Phil ?

Faithlife Connect subscribers and anyone else who upgrades to Logos 8 will be moved to the new Notes tool in Logos 8 desktop and have access to their custom highlight styles both in Logos 8 desktop and on the Logos 8 web app.

Does that answer your question? Does it alleviate your concerns?

Posts 1564
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 5:08 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We haven't built exporting functionality yet, so we're not 100% sure how it'll work. We may limit exporting to notebooks. A note can be in only one notebook. You could perhaps add all your notes to the same notebook and export them.

What use cases would you want to solve for with exporting?

I want to be able to filter notes by a Bible chapter/verse Range, and export all those notes. I don't want to be limited to exporting notebooks... my hope would be to not have to really use notebooks hardly at all.

That way I can take notes in the software in preparation for a class or a homily, then simply export the verse range of notes into Word or whatever I'm using to finalize preparation of the class or homily.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll explore not tying exporting to notebooks. We'll probably have to restrict some scenarios, though, like exporting all 100,000 notes.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:06 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

doc:
When Logos 8 is released will all Logos Connect members be moved on to the new notes tool, not just those signed up for the beta, and if they are will custom highlighting be working ?

. . .

Faithlife Connect subscribers and anyone else who upgrades to Logos 8 will be moved to the new Notes tool in Logos 8 desktop and have access to their custom highlight styles both in Logos 8 desktop and on the Logos 8 web app.

Does that answer your question? Does it alleviate your concerns?

Almost there Phil, and thank you for responding on the weekend. it was not expected.  The fact is I can access them in the web app at the moment but I can not view them in the resource in which they were made, Will I be able to view the customer highlight in the resource in which it was made in addition to having access to the note in the new notes tool when I am moved to the new notes tool and create new notes using custom highlights.  Sorry for being pedantic but we are talking about my bible study work flow and so this is extremely important to me and will probably be to others who don't realise they should be asking the question's that I am asking.

Posts 1564
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:32 PM

doc:
Almost there Phil, and thank you for responding on the weekend.

You're welcome. Happy to jump in and help when I can.

doc:
Will I be able to view the custom highlight in the resource in which it was made

Yes, on both desktop and web.

doc:
in addition to having access to the note in the new notes tool when I am moved to the new notes tool

doc:
and create new notes using custom highlights

Yes, on desktop, but probably not on web until we bring the Highlighting tool to the web app, which most likely will come after we release Logos 8.

doc:
Sorry for being pedantic but we are talking about my bible study work flow and so this is extremely important to me and will probably be to others who don't realise they should be asking the question's that I am asking.

No worries. I understand. I hope this gives you the reassurances you were looking for. If not, let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Posts 4682
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 11:52 PM

Thank you Phil for your patienc. For now that answers my questions. The sigh of relief will come when this happens in reality in the correct order as you have indicated it will. Understand Web App is a different scenario and fine with situation. 

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

doc:
Almost there Phil, and thank you for responding on the weekend.

You're welcome. Happy to jump in and help when I can.

doc:
Will I be able to view the custom highlight in the resource in which it was made

doc:
in addition to having access to the note in the new notes tool when I am moved to the new notes tool

doc:
and create new notes using custom highlights

Yes, on desktop, but probably not on web until we bring the Highlighting tool to the web app, which most likely will come after we release Logos 8.

doc:
Sorry for being pedantic but we are talking about my bible study work flow and so this is extremely important to me and will probably be to others who don't realise they should be asking the question's that I am asking.

No worries. I understand. I hope this gives you the reassurances you were looking for. If not, let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Posts 981
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:39 AM

doc:
Reuben it is not your place to tell determine a fellow user's question is irrelevant.

Doc, I'm very sorry if I offended you. I was honestly only trying to help bring clarity to the issue.

I admit that I struggled to find the best expression for "largely irrelevant". Perhaps a better expression (for what I really meant) would have been "potentially inconsequential". All I meant is that IF custom highlighting is supported, that removes that specific concern about moving to the new system.

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS